GDT: Boston at Buffalo 7:00 pm ET, 12/29/2016

Doohickie

Nah. Still, there's a lot to like even if there is still too much dead weight and a buffoon for a coach.

You're right. I'm just being negative. I think this team would be a lot better if we just played high risk high reward every night. Take chances and let the goalies do their jobs. This sad attempt at "bend but don't break" is a loser strategy AND it's boring.

The Sabres  had almost as many shots on goal in the 1st period (16) as they did the remainder of the game(17).  And only 7 in the critical 3rd period!   Clearly a strategy change in those 2nd and 3rd periods.   Bylsma had them circling the wagons for both the 2nd and 3rd period and playing not to lose, instead of playing to win.  

Ted Nolan and the Tank teams had a better W-L record against Boston than does Bylsma with the rebuild teams.

Bylsma needs to post wins against one of the Sabres biggest and most hated rivals or else he needs to be shown the door.   Period.  

I love the way Boston plays offense.  We have the personnel to play the same style on our top lines so it's difficult to watch.

You can just see it's a system too not improv.  Puck at the mid point in the offensive zone and there's a presumption a player will be at a spot - then they are.  They shoot down lanes at different left to right lines.  Then they have a separate circling offense but with the same philosophy of eventually a player going down a lane.  It really is impressive because there's so many legitimate shots being taken (they missed the net a lot tonight too).  

Even though we lost I also get the sense we're getting better at Bylsma's game plan.  The problem is that style doesn't suite our best player and on nights like tonight make him irrelevant IMO for far too many shifts.  This style is fit more for a lot of the other players(Okposo, O'reilly, Foligno and maybe even Kane.  Bylsma is giving Jack the freedom to play his game but his system fits a group of players well - but the system is not for Jack's ability and his passing game.  Jack several times a game puts a hard pass to a line-mate and they're not ready for it because it's so separate from the system (unexpected even because it's on the fly) - where the Boston players are playing that style all game long and the player is expecting that pass as he's expected to be there. 

I don't dislike Bylsma and I'm torn on if I want something more tailored for Jack and less for the majority even though some lines can't execute.  Difficult situation IMO.

Edited by 7+6=13

And when he goes, get Terry and Bob out of here too. They sound just like him whenever they open their mouths. 

I like this. If you have to fire DD, how is one of his hires your new coach, beyond an interim basis? Unless we're talking serious nepotism here.

Did you or anyone else hear the F-bombs in the background during the Foligno interview postgame? Dollars to donuts it was Jack :lol:

When does he request a trade

I'm telling ya, Eich's storming into GMTM's office as we speak. I can feel it in my bones.

Risto's at his shoulder.

Last three quoted posts. Good stuff. I'm starting to think Eichel has to lead us out of this wilderness, and not just with his play. Take the franchise by the balls. If he thinks Bylsma is the wrong coach, take it to the Pegulas. I like Angry Jack. It also scares me. Are we going to lose him? He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who's going to take watching his career suffer in an NHL wasteland lying down.

McNabb and draft picks for Deslaurier and Fasching. Pysyk for Kulikov.

Gosh, why is our defense bad?

How do you stand on the Myers trade? Would you like to unwind that one?

He's an utterly average player. His GF% drops nearly 10 full percentage points away from Doughty, to under 50%.

Well, that settles that.

It's nearly impossible to lose a top 5 pick if you really want to keep them in today's NHL.

When Jack is a RFA, can he and his agent not put out feelers that he wants out, leading to an offer sheet? What about his next contract? Maybe it's a bridge deal so he can go elsewhere when it expires.

When Jack is a RFA, can he and his agent not put out feelers that he wants out, leading to an offer sheet? What about his next contract? Maybe it's a bridge deal so he can go elsewhere when it expires.

He can get any offer sheet he wants, we'll match it. Short of him pulling a Lindros, him and McDavid are stuck where they are

How do you stand on the Myers trade? Would you like to unwind that one?

Definitely approve trading Myers and Stafford to complete the Tank that year but we traded them plus prospects and a first rounder for two guys that probably aren't in the long term plans (barring a big turnaround). And now we're a team with some pretty big flaws (like all of our defense after 55 and 29) and we don't have a ton to trade.

We traded a lot and got the wrong players. That trade looks like a disaster right now.

Another come-from-ahead loss.  Thanks DDB.

Best moment of the night IMHO was the huge hit Risto put on Marchand in the 1st. 

While I hate he hurt his hand the best moment of the night for me was Carrier fighting.  This kid is playing himself into the future of the Sabres plans.  He's also one of the reasons I believe we can play a Boston style offense with our next coach.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.