Sabres-Canucks, Game 4 playoffs, 4/12/1980

\GoBillsInDallas/

Gary Bromley in goal for Cuncks, right? That was the first playoff series I ever watched. Then Chicago we swept and ran into the Islanders.

Bob Sauve came in and won last two games of the playoffs after falling behind to Islanders 3-0

Tiger Williams clubbed Scotty Bowman! I remember that, but had forgotten. This is nuts, I'll have to watch whole thing later

Mike Ramsey is #23!

:P :P

No! It's an Arbys night! You like their Roast Beaf sandwiches, don't ya, Eleven?

No, actually... this is brilliant... I'm about to blow all ya'll's minds. When there's a break in the schedule, we all start watching an old Sabres game on YouTube at the same time and have a back to the future Vintage Game Day Thread (VGDT).

I still got it, baby!

:P :P

No! It's an Arbys night! You like their Roast Beaf sandwiches, don't ya, Eleven?

No, actually... this is brilliant... I'm about to blow all ya'll's minds. When there's a break in the schedule, we all start watching an old Sabres game on YouTube at the same time and have a back to the future Vintage Game Day Thread (VGDT).

I still got it, baby!

This is the best idea you have had since you started the GDT yesterday.

I like it.  Yes sir, I like it a lot.  Except for the part that we will get to relive all the heart ache and all the cusps over again.

This is the best idea you have had since you started the GDT yesterday.

I like it.  Yes sir, I like it a lot.  Except for the part that we will get to relive all the heart ache and all the cusps over again.

Do I sniff an extremely obscure M*A*S*H reference there?

Gary Bromley in goal for Cuncks, right? That was the first playoff series I ever watched. Then Chicago we swept and ran into the Islanders.

Bob Sauve came in and won last two games of the playoffs after falling behind to Islanders 3-0

Tiger Williams clubbed Scotty Bowman! I remember that, but had forgotten. This is nuts, I'll have to watch whole thing later

Mike Ramsey is #23!

Didn't remember Bones played for anyone but the Sabres.

That team was deserving of a better fate - it was crushing losing to the Isles, who wouldn't lose a playoff series for several years

Didn't remember Bones played for anyone but the Sabres.

That team was deserving of a better fate - it was crushing losing to the Isles, who wouldn't lose a playoff series for several years

To read Budd Bailey's book, that first Core in team history was very fond of what-ifs and if-it-hadn't-been-fors. They blamed their loss to the Islanders on nine days off after sweeping the Hawks.

Nope.

Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale reference ... *those who like it, like it a lot* ... that was a whole lifetime ago for me, but ...  :beer:

When Radar and Hawkeye picked up BJ at the airport after Trapper went home, they went in the Officers Club. To make Radar "legit" they gave him captains bars to go along with his corporal insignia, inventing "corporal captain." Some colonel came over and questioned it and Hawkeye said the Army was testing a new rank. "I don't like it. I don't like it all," said the colonel. The timing of how he said it has been stuck in my head since 1975, the original Cusp year. On that note... carry on.

To read Budd Bailey's book, that first Core in team history was very fond of what-ifs and if-it-hadn't-been-fors. They blamed their loss to the Islanders on nine days off after sweeping the Hawks.

Do I recall correctly that the Isles scored in the last minute or so of game three when the game appeared headed to OT?

When Radar and Hawkeye picked up BJ at the airport after Trapper went home, they went in the Officers Club. To make Radar "legit" they gave him captains bars to go along with his corporal insignia, inventing "corporal captain." Some colonel came over and questioned it and Hawkeye said the Army was testing a new rank. "I don't like it. I don't like it all," said the colonel. The timing of how he said it has been stuck in my head since 1975, the original Cusp year. On that note... carry on.

Ah, yes.

I remember that well.

Can't remember what I had for lunch today, though.

If anyone is wondering how the Sabres ended up playing Vancouver in the first round, there was a new playoff format that year with 16 of the 21 teams making the playoffs. The playoff teams were seeded 1-16. The Sabres were second and Vancouver 16. Exactly what was the NHL thinking?

The first round matchups from 74-75 until 79-80 didn't lack for drama, I will give them that. If you didn't win your division those five seasons, you had to play a preliminary, best of three series. The Sabres barely survived in 76 and 78, then lost to the Pens in 79. It was nucking futs.

Complete NHL playoff format history. Great bathroom reading.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=25433

Edited by PASabreFan

You must be thinking of Game 2 in Buffalo that went to double overtime. Isles won it and took a 2-0 series lead.

Apparently - I still remember the depression

If anyone is wondering how the Sabres ended up playing Vancouver in the first round, there was a new playoff format that year with 16 of the 21 teams making the playoffs. The playoff teams were seeded 1-16. The Sabres were second and Vancouver 16. Exactly what was the NHL thinking?

The first round matchups from 74-75 until 79-80 didn't lack for drama, I will give them that. If you didn't win your division those five seasons, you had to play a preliminary, best of three series. The Sabres barely survived in 76 and 78, then lost to the Pens in 79. It was nucking futs.

Bernie Parent was one thing, but Ed Staniowski made this young kid realize a hot goalie could steal a series! 

It was a looooong way down from the oranges in 79 while the Pens were celebrating 

1981 was the last year for that format. Get with the program, will ya? ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.