Sabres @ Capitals 5pm, MSG 11/25/2016

LGR4GM

If this organization is as serious about winning as they claimed to be after the tank, then something has to be changed. They spent all offseason, from GM to players, talking about being accountable and not accepting losing. Being historically bad offensively because of Jack Jack being out, and ROR missing a stretch of games, is not acceptable. Especially not after two intentionally tanked seasons and spending to the cap 2 years later. This game tonight is what we get from all of that, missing one piece of decent production (and the addition of KO)?

At this point, they can’t just sit and wait for Jack. Every ounce of creativity has been crushed out of these guys. ROR makes a generic pass and my jaw drops because I can’t believe we were able to create a play. Every night we see passing plays led by the Tatars, Johanssons, Beagles, Froliks, and Zack Smiths of the league that none of us could ever imagine Sabres like Okposo, Reinhart, ROR, Larsson, Foligno making. The difference between our base strategies and those of any team we play are as obvious as they were when we were in Nolan’s no-system, and that isn’t hyperbole. That’s really what we have at this point. It’s a disaster and disgrace.

This lineup should not be historically bad. The Islanders weren’t historically bad when they lost JT the rest of the year in 2014. Dallas didn’t have Seguin or Spezza for a stretch earlier this season, and they lost, which is expected, but they weren’t historically bad offensively, even though Benn was less than .5 points per game. There is no situation outside of intentionally building a roster to achieve last place where historically bad offense is expected or acceptable. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

That same thing happened in the game I was at, it hit a skate, they let it go.

Hate that it was late like that but in the end they made the right call here

I haven't seen the play in question, but it's a misconception that a puck accidentally hitting a player coming on or going off in that situation is a too many men call. A player has to play the puck or deliver a check for that to kick in.

I haven't seen the play in question, but it's a misconception that a puck accidentally hitting a player coming on or going off in that situation is a too many men call. A player has to play the puck or deliver a check for that to kick in.

Well, the puck hit McCabe (I think) in the skate and stopped in its track. He tried to desperately jump back into the bench, the players kept playing, the nearest ref didn't blow the whistle, and the Sabres managed to boardplay/carry the puck from their blue line to just crossing into the o-zone before the ref in the far corner of the far zone decided to blow the play dead. It was bizarre. We were not going to score a goal whether they called it or not.

No DD is incompetent. Scneider should be up not COR, hate line combos. Keep Larson withGionta and Foligno, ROR, Reinhardt and Carrier, then need a center for Kane and Okposo maybe with Girgensen at center spread grit and passing out and keeps good combos together. Saw very little chemistry like theyd never played together.

Edited by North Buffalo

2013-14 GPG: 1.83

2014-15 GPG: 1.87

2016-17 GPG: 1.81

No DD is incompetent. Scneider should be up not COR, hate line combos. Keep Larson withGionta and Foligno, ROR, Reinhardt and Carrier, then need a center for Kane and Okposo maybe with Girgensen at center spread grit and passing out and keeps good combos together. Saw very little chemistry like theyd never played together.

He's beyond incompetent. 

The caps used their speed tonight, manned up on our breakouts, and made it almost impossible to move the puck out of our zone.

Over handling the puck, slow puck moving decisions, and bad passes, made us predictable.

I'm not that upset with losing this game because let's face it, the Caps are Stanley Cup contenders.

Edited by hockeyhound

If this organization is as serious about winning as they claimed to be after the tank, then something has to be changed. They spent all offseason, from GM to players, talking about being accountable and not accepting losing. Being historically bad offensively because of Jack Jack being out, and ROR missing a stretch of games, is not acceptable. Especially not after two intentionally tanked seasons and spending to the cap 2 years later. This game tonight is what we get from all of that, missing one piece of decent production (and the addition of KO)?

At this point, they can’t just sit and wait for Jack. Every ounce of creativity has been crushed out of these guys. ROR makes a generic pass and my jaw drops because I can’t believe we were able to create a play. Every night we see passing plays led by the Tatars, Johanssons, Beagles, Froliks, and Zack Smiths of the league that none of us could ever imagine Sabres like Okposo, Reinhart, ROR, Larsson, Foligno making. The difference between our base strategies and those of any team we play are as obvious as they were when we were in Nolan’s no-system, and that isn’t hyperbole. That’s really what we have at this point. It’s a disaster and disgrace.

This lineup should not be historically bad. The Islanders weren’t historically bad when they lost JT the rest of the year in 2014. Dallas didn’t have Seguin or Spezza for a stretch earlier this season, and they lost, which is expected, but they weren’t historically bad offensively, even though Benn was less than .5 points per game. There is no situation outside of intentionally building a roster to achieve last place where historically bad offense is expected or acceptable. 

They can, and they will. I don't particularly enjoy being a wet blanket, but Bylsma is less than two years into a five year contract--he's just not getting fired, particularly given the injury issues (...which wouldn't be as much of an issue if Murray would have been the least bit interested in bolstering the team's NHL depth in the offseason, but I digress).

That's the smoking gun, right there. But I don't see how Murray can fire Bylsma with a straight face. Pegula will have to fire both of them at once.

C'mon, you're the king of meddling theories! Surely you can come up with something! How about: Murray was pressured into Bylsma by Pegula et al., and now that Pegula sees the results, Murray can have free reign to bring in his guy without ownership's influence.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

They can, and they will. I don't particularly enjoy being a wet blanket, but Bylsma is less than two years into a five year contract--he's just not getting fired, particularly given the injury issues (...which wouldn't be as much of an issue if Murray would have been the least bit interested in bolstering the team's NHL depth in the offseason, but I digress).

C'mon, you're the king of meddling theories! Surely you can come up with something! How about: Murray was pressured into Bylsma by Pegula et al., and no that Pegula sees the results, Murray can have free reign to bring in his guy without ownership's influence.

I wanted a Stempniak/Pirri/Grabner/Whatever signing as much as anyone, but these guys coming in to this system would not give the results they're seeing in Carolina/New York. 

I'm highly critical of just about every move Murray has made at this point, but I think Bylsma is this team's largest problem, by a large margin. 

Boy am I glad I didn't watch that. Listened to the 3rd in the car on the drive home. Yuck.

Given your health situation of the past few months, I'd have to imagine you shouldn't watch Sabres any games, whether able or not :p

I wanted a Stempniak/Pirri/Grabner/Whatever signing as much as anyone, but these guys coming in to this system would not give the results they're seeing in Carolina/New York. 

I'm highly critical of just about every move Murray has made at this point, but I think Bylsma is this team's largest problem, by a large margin. 

Oh I agree on both counts, I was just positing that from the perspective of the team, the injuries surely help to insulate Bylsma.

C'mon, you're the king of meddling theories! Surely you can come up with something! How about: Murray was pressured into Bylsma by Pegula et al., and now that Pegula sees the results, Murray can have free reign to bring in his guy without ownership's influence.

They're not theories. But, yeah, crazy old man PA baying at the moon almost from the start, adjusting his tin toil hat, warning that Pegula was going to drive the franchise into a ditch. Off his meds, probably.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.