GDT: Sabres at Wild, Nov. 1, 2016, 8:00 pm

nfreeman

And where is carp?? 

I'd been thinking the same thing.

The DeLuca .500? Is there a thread somewhere that explains it? I tried a quick forum search and got a bunch of Game Day Threads hits, but nothing popped out as discussing what that means that I saw.

Sorry - I do not mean to be long-time-member-in-joke-talk guy.

It's a simple concept: You count OTL's (those "loser" points) as a loss. Thus, if the team's record is 3-3-2, then they are 2 games below DeLuca .500. Because they're sorta (effectively) 3-5.

I'd been thinking the same thing.

Sorry - I do not mean to be long-time-member-in-joke-talk guy.

It's a simple concept: You count OTL's (those "loser" points) as a loss. Thus, if the team's record is 3-3-2, then they are 2 games below DeLuca .500. Because they're sorta (effectively) 3-5.

Not sorta. They lost all 5 of those games.

I've always thought win percentage was #wins/total games, so 3-3-2 = 3/8 = .375. That seems to be this DeLuca .500.

Yes it is.

How do they normally account for OT losses, by points? Like #points/total points so 8/16 = .500?

Not sure how they do anything, but I know that, for some of us, we held onto shreds of hope based on the idea that a team taking half of the available points was playing .500 hockey.

Go fish? 

Nope.  When everyone was bemoaning keeping Moulson up when all this great young talent was being sent to Rochester, I said, don't worry, they will be back when the Sabres have injuries.  I didn't think they'd be back this much this soon, but here they are.  I hate the injuries, but I think the guys being brought up injects some energy in the team as they try to show they're worthy of the big club.

Nope.  When everyone was bemoaning keeping Moulson up when all this great young talent was being sent to Rochester, I said, don't worry, they will be back when the Sabres have injuries.  I didn't think they'd be back this much this soon, but here they are.  I hate the injuries, but I think the guys being brought up injects some energy in the team as they try to show they're worthy of the big club.

Good point, just hope the injury bug stays away from our defense. No more Butt Bruises! 

"And just so you understand, multiple teams are dealing with this. Half the league’s nestled up against the cap. Defenseman Brian Campbell had to play third-line left wing for Chicago recently."

I think they call that a Soup line.  :flirt:

“In our zone, we protect the middle of the ice right now,” Boudreau said. “Even though they have the puck, they’re not getting inside us.”

Reminds me of the Sabres this weekend.  I wonder if they watched and learned.

But, (for the benefit of SabresBaltimore only, not trying to have this argument) they've taken half of the available points... Hence the meme.

Not half of available points -- in each of the OTL games, they took 1 out of 3 points, not 1 out of 2. This is why "NHL .500" is less meaningful than DeLuca .500 -- because more teams league-wide are well above NHL .500, because more points are awarded due to OTL games.

We can start to think seriously about playoffs when we get a couple of wins above DeLuca .500 -- not before.

Not half of available points -- in each of the OTL games, they took 1 out of 3 points, not 1 out of 2. This is why "NHL .500" is less meaningful than DeLuca .500 -- because more teams league-wide are well above NHL .500, because more points are awarded due to OTL games.

We can start to think seriously about playoffs when we get a couple of wins above DeLuca .500 -- not before.

I'd like them to go to a 3 point game system (like they use in international tournaments) instead of the stupid 2+1 system they currently have. Maybe that would make playing for Overtime less attractive since now you're giving up that 3rd point. Of course that now means that Overtime wins are less than regulation wins, and the same as a shootout win, unless you keep the ROW tie breaker too.

I have no idea why they didn't just go to 3 points when they changed the Overtime rules. Was it to avoid changes to the records? IE now you'd have a potential 246 points in a season instead of 164 which would mean getting over 100 points in a season would become commonplace.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.