Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

John Wick 2 and 3 are absolutely incredible action films. Very excited for 4. My ranking is 3,2,1 as of now but it’s splitting hairs between 3 and 2 and we’ll have to see after 4. Gotta be the best current action franchise by a mile and an all time stand out 

JW is good, but a bit repetitive IMHO. I prefer the Fast and the Furious and Mission Impossible.  

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

JW is good, but a bit repetitive IMHO. I prefer the Fast and the Furious and Mission Impossible.  

Really like MI. Lost me in totality at Fast

For me the story and character progression of the 3 Wick movies goes well beyond MI. I’m actually a huge fan of the MI movies but the action in Wick is also substantially better IMO. Frequent moments where my jaw quite literally drops. 

Edited by Thorny

19 hours ago, Weave said:

I just can’t get past Tom Cruise to watch MI. 

Looking forward to seeing John Wick.

I'm the same way with Cruise.  I can't get past the guy's ego either.  Let's buy the movie rights to Jack Reacher so I can be the lead.  I'm the perfect choice to play that 6'5 mountain of a man!

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, shrader said:

I'm the same way with Cruise.  I can't get past the guy's ego either.  Let's buy the movie rights to Jack Reacher so I can be the lead.  I'm the perfect choice to play that 6'5 mountain of a man!

Try watching ‘ Rock of Ages ‘. That was some grade A level douchebaggery right there and I only made it through the first 5 minutes.🤮

Edited by bunomatic

On 3/27/2023 at 4:52 PM, Thorny said:

Really like MI. Lost me in totality at Fast

For me the story and character progression of the 3 Wick movies goes well beyond MI. I’m actually a huge fan of the MI movies but the action in Wick is also substantially better IMO. Frequent moments where my jaw quite literally drops. 

No question the stupid factor is high in the F&F movies.  But the action sequences are fantastic.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

No question the stupid factor is high in the F&F movies.  But the action sequences are fantastic.

Honestly I get you, I was pretty on board with the over the top-ness until really, the MOST recent film. Flying a car to space was some fine shark jumping, nuke-the-fridge type stuff imo. Oh well, I’ll be seated in theatres for the next one, I see everything lol 

Have you seen the tag line? “The end of the road begins.” LOL

Begins

Edited by Thorny

10 hours ago, Thorny said:

Honestly I get you, I was pretty on board with the over the top-ness until really, the MOST recent film. Flying a car to space was some fine shark jumping, nuke-the-fridge type stuff imo. Oh well, I’ll be seated in theatres for the next one, I see everything lol 

Have you seen the tag line? “The end of the road begins.” LOL

Begins

That was the shark jumping moment?  Didn't the Rock stop a helicopter from flying away with his bare hands in one of the previous trailers?

I've only seen one of these movies (not the one you'd expect), so I have no idea what they've done beyond the trailers.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

Watched Michelle Yeoh in( this is a mouthful so...) Everything, everywhere, all at once. It was like salvadore dali ate walt disney and puked color. Not sure what it is or what it means but acid trip comes to mind. It won awards so...? Anyhow the academy liked it so you might too. I never.

Wrath of Man (Jason Statham)

The Menu (Ralph Fiennes)

Emily The Criminal (offbeat, but really good)

Luther: The Fallen Sun (I really liked the Luther TV series and the movie is good).  Idris Elba is rumored to be the next James Bond.

The Pledge (Jack Nicholson)  An older movie but very good.

Poker Face (TV series on Peacock).  Watched but didn't think it was very good.  Felt it was kind of one note and don't understand the fuss about Natasha Lyonne.  Give me the old Columbo series anyday if you like this genre.

If you want to watch a really good and well acted series, watch Perry Mason Season II on HBO.  Top notch acting and storyline.

By the way, I hear there will be a season 3 of the Warriors (based on Bruce Lee's writings) on HBO.  Enjoyed seasons 1 an 2, so looking forward to this.

Edited by steveoat87
Add info.

17 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

I pretty much hated TC til Maverick came out and I remembered Edge of Tomorrow, which is fantastic. Now I dislike him but am willing to watch. 

I watched it on Amazon the other day.  That's the only way I'm going to watch anything with him, when it is "free".  Yeah, I pay for prime, but you know what I mean.

By the way, that was pretty good.  I'm not really sure why they  needed to shoe horn Jennifer Connolly into the story though.

19 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

I pretty much hated TC til Maverick came out and I remembered Edge of Tomorrow, which is fantastic. Now I dislike him but am willing to watch. 

Care to explain why you don't like the Star Trek: Lower Decks recommendation, rather than just reacting negatively to it?

10 hours ago, JujuFish said:

Care to explain why you don't like the Star Trek: Lower Decks recommendation, rather than just reacting negatively to it?

I watched an episode and a half and didn't like it. I don't see that anyone needs to defend negative reactions, we're all free to disagree. But I'll answer your question: I found the writing to be poor and devoid of substance; the humor isn't sharp or nuanced - not for me. 

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Glad to hear that, my wife wants to go check it out.

Every so often there's a movie you want to see, but not until it hits free tv.  That's how I feel about this one.  It looks very interesting/entertaining, but I'm going to save the $$$ this time around.

10 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

I watched an episode and a half and didn't like it. I don't see that anyone needs to defend negative reactions, we're all free to disagree. But I'll answer your question: I found the writing to be poor and devoid of substance; the humor isn't sharp or nuanced - not for me. 

And you don't see how this response is far better than a negative reaction?  The reaction by itself means "that's wrong" (though how a suggestion can be wrong is beyond me).  By replying, you're not only letting people know why you feel negatively toward the post, but you're also giving your subjective reasons for why other people might not want to take up the suggestion. It's beneficial to everyone.

Edited by JujuFish