2017 NHL Draft -- General NHL Thread

WildCard

No worries

Per Corey Pronman the Devils maybe leaning towards picking Cale Makar First Overall

That'd make me feel a lot better about dropping 6-8, since it wouldn't have mattered anyway. I also wonder if this would put the kibosh to Vegas' attempted trade up. Philly may have been okay trading away from Patrick, but maybe Hischier being available changes that.

That'd make me feel a lot better about dropping 6-8, since it wouldn't have mattered anyway. I also wonder if this would put the kibosh to Vegas' attempted trade up. Philly may have been okay trading away from Patrick, but maybe Hischier being available changes that.

If I was McPhee I would want a shot at either Makar or Neskinen.  Paired with Theodore down the road and you are building a nice blue line.  They could sit pat and pick up a good F and Valimaki and Branstrom if they so choose.  Nice position to be in.  

No worries

Per Corey Pronman the Devils maybe leaning towards picking Cale Makar First Overall

Serious question: After the draft concludes, which selected player has the highest value league wide?

It's gotta be Makar, right? Take him first overall, it's a good play.

How come I've seen Makar outside of the top 5 in so many projected lists?  Serious question.  I'm not as up this year on the draft.  Is it really just that the top 12 picks or so are just so wide open with not much separating them?

How come I've seen Makar outside of the top 5 in so many projected lists? Serious question. I'm not as up this year on the draft. Is it really just that the top 12 picks or so are just so wide open with not much separating them?

Yes, really close talent levels. Also Makar played lesser competition so different ppl were valuing that differently.

Yes, really close talent levels. Also Makar played lesser competition so different ppl were valuing that differently.

That seems to be a key point from a lot of people I've read, rightly so - they want to see how he does when playing the best of his age group. We'll get to see it next season. It's my personal opinion that his skill set is going to help him dominate.

McKenzie just said there is a sense the 1st pick is in play right now. On TSN690

Also stated a lot is bubbling under the surface right now

Even in a draft without a surefire stud, nobody is trading out of the #1 spot. Every year we hear some variant of "fielding offers" and nothing ever comes to fruition.

Even in a draft without a surefire stud, nobody is trading out of the #1 spot. Every year we hear some variant of "fielding offers" and nothing ever comes to fruition.

NJD have been desperate for a #1 center for years, they would be stupid to trade out unless they get one in that trade.

Reinhart? Just kidding, I agree that they need a 1C.

That's why it won't happen. If you're going to trade out of #1 you're looking at #8, Reinhart, and Guhle probably. It's just too much but NJD would have too get a similar package to make it worth it.

I wouldn't over think things if I was Shero and just draft Nolan Patrick

That's what I would do.

WGR reporting a former NHL scout on Twitter says Jersey trying to move down to take Makar and Vegas up for Patrick — not necessarily with each other.

6 and 13 for #1?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.