GDT: Montreal @ Buffalo, 7pm MSG, 10/13/2016

LGR4GM

So pretty much everyone thinks that's what our team is going to be this year?

ROR and Risto are really that bad?

We looked like a group of players that hadn't played or really even practiced together before, with key players missing, rusty, or not in their usual roles.

I would be very pleased to see that Foligno and that McCabe on a regular basis this season. Sam gets it.

I was horrified by what I saw from Ennis and Nelson. Tyler had no hands, no jump. Casey was shockingly bad with his body. A real NHL defenceman would have the Hab attacker's hands tied up and his body pushed toward the corner 20 feet further away from the net on the Mitchell goal. And his work in our corners was abysmal.

The rest of them weren't really in sync and certainly could have played better. We know that because they have.

I blame a training camp hampered by a rotating stream of missing pieces and a mindset rocked first yesterday by the Eichel injury and today by the injury to Kane.

That's not an excuse for long-term. But it is a reason for what happened tonight.

This is not a tank team, Even without Jack and likely Kane.

But they weren't together tonight and if they don't get together they could find themselves in a dangerous hole.

It's a long season and our players are better than this.

Opening night jitters hopefully. I feel like I did with the Bills after week 2.

But my coat got a ton of compliments so that was good right?

LOL I'll buy your coat!

Such a Buffalo start.  Three "generational" talents come into the league in two years:

Edmonton's gets 2 goals and an assist.  The Oilers get two points.

Toronto's gets 4 goals.  The Maple Leafs get a point.

Buffalo's gets hurt.  The Sabres get nothing.

Is it the Buffalo Curse or Tank Karma?  Both?

Appears I didn't miss a whole lot of maybe I'm glad I was working all evening. Not a lot of optimism in here.... Usually after a loss its split in here, but I'm getting a bad feeling from catching up on the board

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Such a Buffalo start. Three "generational" talents come into the league in two years:

Edmonton's gets 2 goals and an assist. The Oilers get two points.

Toronto's gets 4 goals. The Maple Leafs get a point.

Buffalo's gets hurt. The Sabres get nothing.

Is it the Buffalo Curse or Tank Karma? Both?

It's neither. The Buffalo Curse is just that it's Buffalo. It's not a compelling city when plotted against others and just now has rich, willing owners.

Many many teams have tanked shamelessly and succeeded. There is no karma.

Opening day though..... Injuries or not, it seems like there was zero slack picked up.... I may be afraid.

We all know the bills are having some success against lesser teams.... That will end, maybe before the pats game, but we're getting stomped that game..

Was montresl good?! Or us just that poor

Montreal is fast and didn't have the breakdowns we did.

Territorially they weren't dominant at all.

The issue is that Montreal is not a fast team overall, at least compared to Pittsburgh/Tampa/Washington/Dallas etc etc

and they blew us out of the water.

I'm with you that it'll get better from here. But this few week stretch could haunt us pretty badly in April if we don't fix what happened tonight fast.

8-9-0 in 2005-06, we just have to remember that

Did anyone mention that Shaw got a major penalty in the last three seconds for a slew-foot? He's going to get suspended for that. What a piece of .

What is the over/under on when Bylsma is fired?

He's not going to last the season.

I'll say Game 40.

OUCH!

The issue is that Montreal is not a fast team overall, at least compared to Pittsburgh/Tampa/Washington/Dallas etc etc

and they blew us out of the water.

I'm with you that it'll get better from here. But this few week stretch could haunt us pretty badly in April if we don't fix what happened tonight fast.

8-9-0 in 2005-06, we just have to remember that

Did anyone mention that Shaw got a major penalty in the last three seconds for a slew-foot? He's going to get suspended for that. What a piece of ######.

I was going to say hell ya I did. But it was on facebook.

Just so we're clear: this is why it's necessary to keep pants on and not start the GDT until after midnight. ESPECIALLY for the MFing opener.

What a poop show that was.

Nah, screw that rule. I 100% support Liger's decision and you to the hockey gods.

Bylsma Kvetch: Why are Gionta and Grant getting PP time over Larsson? Does Dan think he'll play worse with tons of space?

Ennis looked super rusty. Didn't have it going at all. Nelson was bad. Franson was bad. O'Reilly wasn't good with the puck but still made some really nice plays away from it in the O-zone.

Foligno was good. More of that please. Not worth 2.25 my ass.

Larsson was really good. Smooth offensively, smart defensively, and like Neo said, a hound on the forecheck.

McCabe and Bogosian were good. I loved Bogo's nastiness tonight.

Sam wasn't spectacular 5 on 5 but his PP work? Damn. That pass was ridiculous. Thank god Matt Moulson buried it.

Speaking of which, Moulson is still useless 5 on 5.

Risto was just kinda meh. Gorges was Gorges.

It's absurd how much having Jack out changes the profile of our team. His speed creates so much offense and opens up so much space. Can't wait to have him back.

On the Kane injury, I don't think Emelin was at fault there. I don't really know what Kane was doing. Looked like another injury due to his reckless style.

I liked Dan's handling of the lines after Kane went down.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Nah, screw that rule. I 100% support Liger's decision and ###### you to the hockey gods.

Bylsma Kvetch: Why are Gionta and Grant getting PP time over Larsson? Does Dan think he'll play worse with tons of space?

Ennis looked super rusty. Didn't have it going at all. Nelson was bad. Franson was bad. O'Reilly wasn't good with the puck but still made some really nice plays away from it in the O-zone.

Larsson was really good. Smooth offensively, smart defensively, and like Neo said, a hound on the forecheck.

Sam wasn't spectacular 5 on 5 but his PP work? Damn. That pass was ridiculous. Thank god Matt Moulson buried it.

It's absurd how much having Jack out changes the profile of our team. His speed creates so much offense and opens up so much space. Can't wait to have him back.

On the Kane injury, I don't think Emelin was at fault there. I don't really know what Kane was doing. Looked like another injury due to his reckless style.

I disagree on the Kane injury. Emelin pushed him last second causing him to go off balance into the boards. He's a POS.

Nah, screw that rule. I 100% support Liger's decision and ###### you to the hockey gods.

This is spot on but I think Nic D had a decent game as well. He's a solid 4th line guy

Emelin is a POS, and his little push didn't help, but Kane put himself in a horrible precarious spot.

I can agree with that. I was thinking as I watched it that man is he ever going in fast. He could have went about that differently especially knowing who he was racing into the boards with.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.