Should We Pursue Darryl Sutter?

WildCard

Sutter hasn't signed his extension yet, and it has nothing to do with the money. Some believe he may leave LA. If he does, do we pursue him? Pay off DD and hire Sutter?

Obviously the possibility is remote. We don't know if he's even leaving, let alone if he'd want to come here. But, say he does. What do you do?

Edited by WildCard

Naw. I somewhat understand the DD hate here, but even Babcock called and said "Just kidding! Toronto, I'll coach you guys!" I'd be hesitant. You take all these young guys and toss them in this system, then pull the rugs out from underneath them their second year? No thanks.

Ok, maybe if Babcock actually said " Toronto".

Sutter hasn't signed his extension yet, and it has nothing to do with the money. Some believe he may leave LA. If he does, do we pursue him? Pay off DD and hire Sutter?

Obviously the possibility is remote. We don't know if he's even leaving, let alone if he'd want to come here. But, say he does. What do you do?

Go to hell. I already dislike Sutter-lite, the last thing I want is the full Sutter. Sutter hockey is the freaking worst.

Go to hell. I already dislike Sutter-lite, the last thing I want is the full Sutter. Sutter hockey is the freaking worst.

But he wins.

Would you watch your team become the NJD or Kings to win a Cup? I'm not so sure I wouldn't

Naw. I somewhat understand the DD hate here, but even Babcock called and said "Just kidding! ###### Toronto, I'll coach you guys!" I'd be hesitant. You take all these young guys and toss them in this system, then pull the rugs out from underneath them their second year? No thanks.

Ok, maybe if Babcock actually said "###### Toronto".

That's really the problem IMO. It would totally ruin the chemistry and comradary Edited by WildCard

Dump and chase followed by the Alamo Mode for 10 minutes. DD doesn't exactly play like Ruff or Sullivan

No, but he does play a more open style than Sutter does. Sutter is the extreme end of the spectrum, and while Bylsma is on the same side of that continuum, he's not so far off the reservation. I honestly hate Sutter hockey. I want to win a Cup, but if he were our coach I probably wouldn't make a special effort to watch the regular season.

No, but he does play a more open style than Sutter does. Sutter is the extreme end of the spectrum, and while Bylsma is on the same side of that continuum, he's not so far off the reservation. I honestly hate Sutter hockey. I want to win a Cup, but if he were our coach I probably wouldn't make a special effort to watch the regular season.

Oh DD is definitely not Sutter bad, my point was that he's not all that exciting either. I think if we had even one Cup, it's not even a debate. If Ruff was available, would you fire DD?

I wonder why he would even leave though.

Definitely the off season.

The struggle is real Edited by WildCard

Oh DD is definitely not Sutter bad, my point was that he's not all that exciting either. I think if we had even one Cup, it's not even a debate. If Ruff was available, would you fire DD?

I wonder why he would even leave though.

I'm honestly not sure. I kind of want to see if Bylsma loosens the reins a bit with Jack and Samson no longer being rookies, and (hopefully) an upgraded blue line. Pittsburgh did not play boring hockey, after all.

Why would Sutter leave? An expensive, aging roster without much in the prospect pipeline to be truly excited about.

There are some things I don't like about Goober, but I think you're setting the team back another year if you bring in another new coach. Most importantly, what kind of message does that send to Goober if he finds out they're pursuing Sutter? Even worse if Sutter says no. 

Although it would finally being some entertainment to the post game pressers. 

I'm honestly not sure. I kind of want to see if Bylsma loosens the reins a bit with Jack and Samson no longer being rookies, and (hopefully) an upgraded blue line. Pittsburgh did not play boring hockey, after all.

Why would Sutter leave? An expensive, aging roster without much in the prospect pipeline to be truly excited about.

I really don't understand why he did that this year. Hopefully we'll see a much faster game next year with counter rushes and controlled entries. I'm sure having young players and an agonizingly slow defense really doesn't help you play fast

The prospects aren't great, but that core is just fine. Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Toffoli, Muzzin...all young guys. They're not exactly bursting with talent, but he can win with that. I have to wonder if he sees another vacancy he wants. Like the Flames

I wouldn't pursue Sutter or anyone else at this point. I'm happy to give DD another year to see what he can do. I bitched a lot about him, but it started to become evident that he was tinkering all year and toward the end he found some things that looked promising.

I'm not sure Ruff, if he were available, would make a good fit here at this point. The Stars game belies Ruff's fundamental coaching philosophies, and they get trapped in their own zone a lot much like Ruff's Sabres did.

But he wins.

Would you watch your team become the NJD or Kings to win a Cup? I'm not so sure I wouldn't

Ummm, you realize Bylsma has won a cup also correct? And it's not like Pittsburgh has won 3 or 4 since he's left...I don't even think they've been back to the Finals.

I don't think they made it out of the 2nd round since they won their last cup, Byslma's first year.

And, if I recall correctly, that first year was not a full year.

Did the Pens not fire their coaches ass mid-season and bring DD?  He did inherit a stacked and healthy roster when Fleury was actually playing well?

-----

I also like wyld's idea of bringing in Sutter to be *Coach in Charge of Post Game and all Pressers*.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

And, if I recall correctly, that first year was not a full year.

Did the Pens not fire their coaches ass mid-season and bring DD?  He did inherit a stacked and healthy roster when Fleury was actually playing well?

-----

I also like wyld's idea of bringing in Sutter to be *Coach in Charge of Post Game and all Pressers*.

True and one of the main reasons they never won another cup was good ole Marc-Andre McFlurryFeriouslyAtThePuckWhileNotStoppingAnyOfThem 

They won the cup in 08/09 and he had a .908sv% and then here is his playoff sv% every year after... 0.891, 0.899, 0.834, 0.883 and a magical rebound to 0.915.  So either he sucks in the playoffs or we should fire Bylsma immediately. 

Ummm, you realize Bylsma has won a cup also correct? And it's not like Pittsburgh has won 3 or 4 since he's left...I don't even think they've been back to the Finals.

I don't think anyone is going to argue DD is a better coach than Sutter

The Pens did make the ECF in 2013, but I think Boston swept them.

Keep Disco for now unless for some wild reason Babcock or Quenneville become available. (Yeah, I know they'd have to sleep with the GM's wife or something)

This actually makes me feel a little better.  I always felt like the Pens under-performed under Bylsma.  Crosby and Malkin together in their prime are surely worth more than just a single cup.  But Bylsma had Fleury and Shero making his job a lot harder than it had to be.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.