The Sabres will win the division if...

#freejame

What do you think it will take for the Sabres to win the division next season? Do you think they'll need to sign Stamkos or win the lottery? How far away do you think they currently are? Feel free to discuss your ideal off-season while leaving practicality at the door. 

If they manage two add 2 more top 4 defenders.

Yep, we'd need 2 top 4 defenders, one of them a good top pairing d-man, Eichel and Samson to continue their trajectory, Larsson to be like second-half Larsson, same with Foligno, and Lehner to have a very good season. I believe any of these are perfectly possible, but the combined chance isn't likely. 

Yep, we'd need 2 top 4 defenders, one of them a good top pairing d-man, Eichel and Samson to continue their trajectory, Larsson to be like second-half Larsson, same with Foligno, and Lehner to have a very good season. I believe any of these are perfectly possible, but the combined chance isn't likely.

Hit the nail on the head

Therrien to keep his job, the Lightning to really miss Stamkos, the Wings to really miss Datsyuk, Ottawa to Ottawa, the Leafs to Leaf, the Bruins to continue their decline and an unexpectedly bad run in FLA.

Really, the competition ain't that great, is it?

Therrien to keep his job, the Lightning to really miss Stamkos, the Wings to really miss Datsyuk, Ottawa to Ottawa, the Leafs to Leaf, the Bruins to continue their decline and an unexpectedly bad run in FLA.

Really, the competition ain't that great, is it?

Wow, no it isn't. I think as long as we get a D-man to play with Risto, the rest of our corps will be servicable. Enough to win the division? ...maybe if we get Stamkos.

Our defense really isn't bad, we just have a few guys playing above where they should be. I only see the need for one LHD next season, as long as that guy is capable of playing opposite Ristolainen on the top pairing. Gorges and McCabe are more than capable of solid play, they just don't belong on the top pairing. The right side is fine with Ristolainen, Bogosian, and Psysk. Plus we'd still have Franson to sub in when there's an injury (looking at you cokey McCokehead Bogosian) or if someone is struggling and needs to ride the bench for a game or two.

You guys we have no depth on defense and someone is bound to get hurt. 1 defender won't be enough.

If Risto is a #1, then the rest of the D looks like this:

Bogo is a #4

McCabe is hopefully at least a #4

Gorges is a #4

Pysyk is 3rd pairing

Nelson is 3rd pairing, hopefully more

Franson is the #7

I can definitely agree that getting 2 new Dmen would be nice, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. I look at next offseason for obtaining a number 3 if none of our guys have distinguished themselves by then.

So long as his body doesn't disintegrate, Gorges is the definition of a 2nd pair stay at home guy.

On a playoff team, maybe, but not on a top six team in the league. Though I guess with this new division format the winners aren't necessarily a top six team.

I want josh comfortably on my third pairing, is all.

Edited by Randall Flagg

On a playoff team, maybe, but not on a top six team in the league. Though I guess with this new division format the winners aren't necessarily a top six team.

I want josh comfortably on my third pairing, is all.

Me too, but next season might be a bit early for that, considering he just played top pairing for us all year.

What real contender this year would Gorges play 2nd pair LHD for?

Probably none of them. But I'm not really expecting the Sabres to be contenders next season. And our forwards will be really good, hopefully, allowing for a servicable D corps to hold the fort down until we can find another top 3 D-man.

Probably none of them. But I'm not really expecting the Sabres to be contenders next season. And our forwards will be really good, hopefully, allowing for a servicable D corps to hold the fort down until we can find another top 3 D-man.

That's the point. The context of the thread is division title, which I'd say is a good proxy for contender. If Gorges can't play in the top-4 of any contenders this year, then yea, we do need to add two defensemen to win the division.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

That's the point. The context of the thread is division title, which I'd say is a good proxy for contender. If Gorges can't play in the top-4 of any contenders this year, then yea, we do need to add two defensemen to win the division.

I think a good partner for Risto + Stamkos + good season for Lehner means that we could compete with Florida for the division title next season. Obviously a lot has to go right, but I think the chances are better with Stamkos and only 1 dman than with 2 good dmen and Okposo.

I think a good partner for Risto + Stamkos + good season for Lehner means that we could compete with Florida for the division title next season. Obviously a lot has to go right, but I think the chances are better with Stamkos and only 1 dman than with 2 good dmen and Okposo.

That's mostly because you think our current defensemen are better than I do. We just have different baselines for the comparison.

That's mostly because you think our current defensemen are better than I do. We just have different baselines for the comparison.

I think everyone, save for maybe Randall, thinks our current defensemen are better than you think they are.

I really don't think we need Stamkos to contend for the division next year. If we're healthy, add 1/2 d-men, and our young guys continue their progression, we can snag a spot

If we don't make the playoffs next year heads must roll.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.