GDT Sabres at Kings 2/27/16 11:00 pm EST!?! MSG WGR

Brawndo

If you're hoping for him to make a significant improvement by Monday 3pm, you're setting yourself up for huge disappointment. Teams in our position don't go out and get help at the deadline. Also, i don't think Murray will want to risk losing lottery ball percentage odds.

At least help us see the bigger picture.

Where are they going with this team, what's their identity?

Watching Edmonton go through their rebuild doesn't inspire me to think our rebuild isn't going to any less painful.

Edited by hockeyhound

Fair enough. If we can get him cheaper, I'd rather just keep him though. You're probably right in that he does want to be paid like that though

Here's my thing--he can't play on Bylsma's 3rd line. And I think we could all agree that $3 million+ for a 4th liner is insane. So he has to be a top-6 forward to earn his contract. I either want my top-6 wingers to be better offensively, or useful as they slide down the lineup when they're supplanted by a more talented player (possibly on a cheap ELC to boot).

Here's my thing--he can't play on Bylsma's 3rd line. And I think we could all agree that $3 million+ for a 4th liner is insane. So he has to be a top-6 forward to earn his contract. I either want my top-6 wingers to be better offensively, or useful as they slide down the lineup when they're supplanted by a more talented player (possibly on a cheap ELC to boot).

Why can't he take Foligno's spot on the 3rd? He's much more consistent IMO

Why can't he take Foligno's spot on the 3rd? He's much more consistent IMO

McGinn's defensive game is nowhere near as good as Foligno's. No way McGinn could handle the minutes Bylsma gives his 3rd line, and he certainly wouldn't be producing any offense (the thing he's about to get paid for) while doing so. We saw it earlier in the year when McGinn was completely invisible until being moved into the top-6.

At least help us see the bigger picture.

Where are they going with this team, what's their identity?

Watching the Edmonton go through their rebuild doesn't inspire me to think our rebuild isn't going to any less painful.

References to Edmonton make me shudder.  It's a good point regarding their identity.  Having seen McGinn this year, I thought he played into the identity (albeit not on the 1-2 line).  But I thought that was the identity.  Now he will leave to get picks that wont be in the lineup for 4 years.  Are we in lather, rinse, repeat mode like the other Buffalo franchise?

McGinn's defensive game is nowhere near as good as Foligno's. No way McGinn could handle the minutes Bylsma gives his 3rd line, and he certainly wouldn't be producing any offense (the thing he's about to get paid for) while doing so. We saw it earlier in the year when McGinn was completely invisible until being moved into the top-6.

To be fair Foligno is invisible every game. Is it that McGinn isn't as good defensively as Gionta/Foligno, or that Foligno is that good defensively?

To be fair Foligno is invisible every game. Is it that McGinn isn't as good defensively as Gionta/Foligno, or that Foligno is that good defensively?

Foligno is not invisible every game.  He gives you that one shift tease that he can be a top 6.  Just like the one golf shot we all make during a round that keeps us coming back. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.