GDT Sabres at Kings 2/27/16 11:00 pm EST!?! MSG WGR

Brawndo

Again, I just don't think this is true. The modern dynasty is one of the smallest, least physical teams in the league (so long as you measure this by the traditional height/weight and hits metrics). Tampa is a small, finesse team, and made the Cup last year. I could go on.

You need the best players. Those come in all shapes and sizes, but the shapes and the sizes are basically irrelevant.

Made it, and didn't win it. Meanwhile LA is the opposite and had wii. 2 Cups

I'm kinda playing devils advocate here through. I don't belive in the 'heavy' game that the Bruins and Kings play. I do, however, believe in the possession that those teams dominate in. Chicago is by no means a 'heavy' team. But they win because they play the game right. There are other ways of driving possession than beating te opponent into submission

I agree, you get maybe one game in 5 where he's actually banging people around and with him when he's not physical he's useless because he doesn't really do anything else. I stand by the statement that if Foligno had a nondescript last name we'd all have a different opinion of him and his maddening inconsistency.

Exactly! :beer:

I love a freshly flooded sheet of ice. While Bettman is still around and seeing how he loves to constantly with the rules and structure of the game, they should make the game six periods of ten minutes and we will have better play and beautiful sheer ice to look at.

I agree, you get maybe one game in 5 where he's actually banging people around and with him when he's not physical he's useless because he doesn't really do anything else. I stand by the statement that if Foligno had a nondescript last name we'd all have a different opinion of him and his maddening inconsistency.

See, this true for his career. But he is just now becoming a veteran.

Prior to this season he's played less than 200 games .

I think he has been consistently effective this entire calendar year.

Now go find the fancy stats to prove me wrong

Edited by dudacek

This is true.

It's a mistake to say big, strong physical players aren't a weapon that can't be used to great effect.

Never said they couldn't be. My issue is when the big, strong, physical play comes as a tradeoff where you lose other things such as hockey sense and passing ability. 

Since the season started in the last calendar year, I find this a humorous way to argue he's found consistency :p

Sorry, dudacek, but Foligno has not been consistent this year IMO. He even had an interview the other month where he admitted it Edited by WildCard

If I had to make a choice Foligno vs Bailey, I would take Bailey.

Consistent.

By the way anybody have an idea what kind of team TM is trying to build?

I've heard a team hard to play against; however, I would prefer a team that has some skill that can put the puck in the net. :P

Team identity?

Edited by hockeyhound

OK, I give up.

But I will remember this thread when Foligno helps the Ducks win the Cup this year.

I love Foligno when he's on his game. He's just not on it enough for me to want to hitch my wagon to him. I wish I could be confident he'd play like this all the time, I'm just not. I also don't think it's a coincidence he's found his game since getting paired with Larsson. Which brings me to...

I'm developing a man crush on Larsson. Two very nice, smart passes right there. I don't know what happened to him, but he's finally found his game

Everyone should have a mancrush on Larsson. I said it before and I meant it: if you don't appreciate Larsson's game you're a bad hockey fan.

We view Foligno as a bottom six forward.  Per Matthew Coller a few GMs in the league still view him as a top six power forward and them maybe willing to compensate the Sabres in a trade based on that fact. If someone is willing to do that, pull the trigger!

Yea, I mean, if somebody's offering top-6 value then I couldn't move him fast enough.

We view Foligno as a bottom six forward. Per Matthew Coller a few GMs in the league still view him as a top six power forward and them maybe willing to compensate the Sabres in a trade based on that fact. If someone is willing to do that, pull the trigger!

In a heart beat

I feel Iike we want Foligno to be Kane, but he never will be

Ahhhhh sooooo close!!!

I guess I'm a bad hockey fan. 

Will somebody please tell Goober that we need to be in the lead before going into shell mode?

I must be a bad fan too.  The sabres best defensive forward ever, Craig Ramsay, could score more than occassionally.  Larsson, not so much. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.