Home wins (or lack thereof)

Tony P

Seriously gang, tonight's game notwithstanding, what is up with this team's terrible home record? Is it the atmosphere at the arena? Are they too comfortable? They certainly can't be over-confident.

I've been to a number of games in other arena's over the years and frankly, the atmosphere at FNC seems pretty....well...boring. I know that the argument is that better play creates better atmosphere but watching on TV, the team just doesn't seem to be very focused at home.

I'd certainly appreciate some insight, especially from those living in Buffalo.

Seriously gang, tonight's game notwithstanding, what is up with this team's terrible home record? Is it the atmosphere at the arena? Are they too comfortable? They certainly can't be over-confident.

I've been to a number of games in other arena's over the years and frankly, the atmosphere at FNC seems pretty....well...boring. I know that the argument is that better play creates better atmosphere but watching on TV, the team just doesn't seem to be very focused at home.

I'd certainly appreciate some insight, especially from those living in Buffalo.

Ever get to see the Everblades?

I haven't figured FNC out. I was a regular at the Aud and the FNC during its first seasons. However, I've seen only a dozen or so games there during the last 18 years. Amalie is more involved. Of course, that's partially attributable to good teams, of late, and visiting crowds, historically.

Would it be a bad idea to again mention the Sabres' desire to attract out-of-town fans?

I'm guessing it's all part of the master plan. Since the team plays better on the road the Sabres brass wants to fill the arena with opposing fans so it will feel like a road game and the team will win more. I believe the end goal is to make the team believe we'll have 82 road games next season so the playoffs are a certainty.

I'm guessing it's all part of the master plan. Since the team plays better on the road the Sabres brass wants to fill the arena with opposing fans so it will feel like a road game and the team will win more. I believe the end goal is to make the team believe we'll have 82 road games next season so the playoffs are a certainty.

That's SOOOO naive. It's all marketing and the hockey ops side isn't in one. "Come to Buffalo to see your team play, they'll very likely win!" Happy out-of-town fans equal more beer sales, and more beer sales mean more more more beer sales. The next step will be to keep the beer vendors open if you can produce a Harborcenter Marriott hotel reservation or room key.

How does "not good at line matching" equate to more home losses?  On the road, we can assume that the host team is getting the matchup they want, so that should be worst case scenario.  At home, even if DD is ham handing line match ups, it still can't be worse than the opposing team always getting the matchup they want (like in a road game).  What am I missing?

How does "not good at line matching" equate to more home losses?  On the road, we can assume that the host team is getting the matchup they want, so that should be worst case scenario.  At home, even if DD is ham handing line match ups, it still can't be worse than the opposing team always getting the matchup they want (like in a road game).  What am I missing?

It's not like they're world-beaters on the road, either.  Still below DeLuca .500.

It's not like they're world-beaters on the road, either.  Still below DeLuca .500.

right, and sample size and all, but worst case for line matchups is on the road so I don't see how home choice, even if not ideal, could be worse than on the road.

I would go with statistical noise. Like Eleven said, it's not like they're great shakes on the road. This is just not a good hockey team. The record at home is what it is.

There is a significant enough disparity between their home and away records that I do think there are specific underlying reasons to it. My guess is it has something to do with the youth of the team feeling more pressure at home, as has been said.

N'eo, on 09 Feb 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:N'eo, on 09 Feb 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

Ever get to see the Everblades?

I haven't figured FNC out. I was a regular at the Aud and the FNC during its first seasons. However, I've seen only a dozen or so games there during the last 18 years. Amalie is more involved. Of course, that's partially attributable to good teams, of late, and visiting crowds, historically.

Actually, going to a Blades game tomorrow night. Lot of fun and a small but very enthusiastic crowd. Lots of displaced NHL fans who either live here now or a visiting - all wearing sweaters for their home teams. Leads to a lot of good-natured jokes and ribbing.

Edited by Tony P

That's SOOOO naive. It's all marketing and the hockey ops side isn't in one. "Come to Buffalo to see your team play, they'll very likely win!" Happy out-of-town fans equal more beer sales, and more beer sales mean more more more beer sales. The next step will be to keep the beer vendors open if you can produce a Harborcenter Marriott hotel reservation or room key.

I should have known it was all about the beer. Very insightful, sir.

right, and sample size and all, but worst case for line matchups is on the road so I don't see how home choice, even if not ideal, could be worse than on the road.

Hot Daniel is so bad at matching lines that we're actively worse when he gets last change.  When we're away the effect is about neutral, instead of negative.  :devil:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.