Sabres' brass LOVES Leafs fans at FNC

PASabreFan

Absurd means more than just irrational so I don't want to get bogged down in an argument over semantics.

Let's just say I find it silly to invest so much emotional energy into outcomes we have absolutely no control over in the first place. Letting it be a reason to hate people who cheer for other teams is phucked up entirely. You can call that passion, I call it crossing the line.

GO SABRES!!!

Sure. I agree with you too.

But I think that this is not the case for a VERY sizeable portion of sports fans.

So, do you cheer louder when the sSabres score or when the opposition scores or neither, or both?

Of course I cheer louder for the Sabres. 

Does that mean I have to hate the guy sitting next to me because he wears another team's colors? Am I a turncoat for buying the guy beer, too?

Just because I can't summon the same amount of vitriol for opposing fans as others doesn't mean I am any less passionate about the Sabres. You make a false equivalency here. 

GO SABRES!!!

It's not fun to post if you're fighting the hive mind all the time. Give it a try sometime. You would have more respect for PA. 

You've lost me here. In no way do I have anything but respect for PA, he's easily one of my favorite posters. You seem to imply that I'm part of this hive-mind, why? What makes me part of it? 

I for one have a big problem when anyone takes issue with how Scott runs this board (it's happened in here a few times). He's gone a long way to provide this place to us free of charge. He has given to us far more than anyone has to him. For that reason alone, I wish people would drop the petty board related complaints.

Fair. I do not intend to be ungrateful.

However, I don't consider apparent or implied attempts at censoring content to be a petty issue.

I also know that I must defer to Scott's judgment on what's acceptable and desirable in these here parts.

It's just not a petty matter is all.

To those who answer that question in the affirmative, I have two follow-ups. 1) have you found yourself finding the arena atmosphere to be far too subdued for your tastes? 2) Have you been to a Sabres-Leafs game over the past couple of years?

those games are a blast to go to even though the teams are bad, and have been for awhile. The arena atmosphere at those games is light years above others, precisely because of the presence of the Leaf fans. At least for mundane regular season games, fan rivalries enhance the experience as much or more than anything on the ice, at least while the product remains poor.

Good stuff. This stuff especially - very true.

You've lost me here. In no way do I have anything but respect for PA, he's easily one of my favorite posters. You seem to imply that I'm part of this hive-mind, why? What makes me part of it? 

I wouldn't consider you a "hive-mind defender" like I would some other people, but I've never seen you post a provocative opinion on this board on par with what PA posted in this thread. 

I'm sure you have a lot of respect for him, but once you post something like he did and have to deal with the ad hominem attacks, you'll see the amount of courage and thick skin it takes. Even I can take so much before I need to take a break. To then be warned for it and then have his defenders be chided for "being ungrateful to SDS". Just a very Soviet Union feel here. 

I wouldn't consider you a "hive-mind defender" like I would some other people, but I've never seen you post a provocative opinion on this board on par with what PA posted in this thread. 

I'm sure you have a lot of respect for him, but once you post something like he did and have to deal with the ad hominem attacks, you'll see the amount of courage and thick skin it takes. Even I can take so much before I need to take a break. To then be warned for it and then have his defenders be chided for "being ungrateful to SDS". Just a very Soviet Union feel here. 

Fair enough. I think the closest I've come to a 'provocative opinion' would be defending Patrick Kane and hating Scott in the ASG. Not exactly on the level of PA

The dispute is if the invitation was made or not. I honestly haven't read the article 

It'll take you about 45 seconds, and the entire story is basically that he said "We love Leaf fans." But reading the article will lend important context, i.e. that it really is just an innocuous puff piece.

It's not fun to post if you're fighting the hive mind all the time. Give it a try sometime. You would have more respect for PA. 

Laughable. 

And there's a reason I put trolls in quotation marks. 

Yeah let's never question authority. 

Dude. Get over yourself.

Edited by qwksndmonster

@nfreeman: PA is not a troll. Yuri, now he was a troll (sorry NS)

IMO, Yuri was not a troll.

Very opinionated? Sure.

Presented his opinion at any and every opportunity? Right, again.

I really believe the reason for his banning was not because he was viewed as a troll. 

It'll take you about 45 seconds, and the entire story is basically that he said "We love Leaf fans." But reading the article will lend important context, i.e. that it really is just an innocuous puff piece.

I read it. Honestly, first reaction? It pissed me off. The thing is, I'm mad at the writer, not the Sabres. And, it's kind of hard to be mad at the writer, because it's his job. I'd be furious if his dream came true though

IMO, Yuri was not a troll.

Very opinionated? Sure.

Presented his opinion at any and every opportunity? Right, again.

I really believe the reason for his banning was not because he was viewed as a troll. 

I think there's a very drastic difference from being opinionated to outright writing paragraphs upon paragraphs of poetic ramblings. 

I'm very interested in the bold

Edited by WildCard

Fans of ANY stripe have ALWAYS had an open invitation. People are acting as if this is something new for crissakes. 

GO SABRES!!!

Once again and with feeling ... it's not about the invitation.

It's what it means ... that the Sabres management and owner are, indeed, worried about losing money and not about winning cup(s).  If it were they would not care about how many fannies were in the seats.

tl; dr

:worthy:

I apologize but I still don't understand your reasoning behind the use of the word absurd. Is sports fandom irrational? 

Yes, it is.

I think implicit in the angst (or potential angst, as the case may be) is the notion that the Sabres are courting Leaf fans at the expense of Sabres fans. That the front office's preferences are Leaf fans > Sabres fans. I think the preference structure is more along the lines of Sabres fans > Leaf fans > empty seats. For the sake of argument let's say the Sabres are directly marking to Leaf fans...if they're doing it for the latter preference structure, is that really so awful?

Some have a very strong us or them streak, others take a more nuanced view. Sports fandom is a microcosm of real life.

Once again and with feeling ... it's not about the invitation.

It's what it means ... that the Sabres management and owner are, indeed, worried about losing money and not about winning cup(s).  If it were they would not care about how many fannies were in the seats.

To me at least, the comment means that Pegula's "I'll dig another well" comment was fantasy. 

This Toronto thing, no matter how minor posters want it to be, tells us the Sabres are already undertaking risk management due to the team's poor performance. 

We're starting to see how Pegula handles a potentially sinking ship. Will he throw fan loyalty out the window? What kind of man is he really now that we're past the puff pieces? Let's find out. 

To me at least, the comment means that Pegula's "I'll dig another well" comment was fantasy. 

This Toronto thing, no matter how minor posters want it to be, tells us the Sabres are already undertaking risk management due to the team's poor performance. 

We're starting to see how Pegula handles a potentially sinking ship. Will he throw fan loyalty out the window? What kind of man is he really now that we're past the puff pieces? Let's find out. 

Exactly what I have been saying.  Also, the tears were fake on day one.

What does that have anything to do with what we're discussing here? 

About you making unsubstantiated claims that there's the shadowy hand of the mods behind a "hivemind."  And that you're somehow fighting the power.

Exactly what I have been saying.  Also, the tears were fake on day one.

I don't think so.  And what say you to my earlier question about winning cups helping Pegula make money?

I don't think so.  And what say you to my earlier question about winning cups helping Pegula make money?

It's becoming more and more evident that Mr. Pegula is more concerned with other matters than just winning cup(s).

I agree, that winning cup(s) would generate more money for Mr. Pegula. So? Maybe they should focus on that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.