ROR - Works out while doing math

elroy16

There's a video in the USA Hockey coaching catalog for off-ice workouts for younger kids that does something along these lines.

The concept is you take playing cards and you throw one in the air.  The child is supposed to catch it.  The next level is answering random questions while trying to catch it.

Frankly, I don't even know that I could come up with the questions while throwing the cards... might be good training for me as well.

It really is clever. I firmly abide the idea of healthy body/healthy mind being two very interconnected things. It would make sense to try to train the mind while training the body. 

This is why I play history podcasts when running/biking. Can totally forget that my body's doing stuff it doesn't love doing because my brain's making more wrinkles. 

This is why I play history podcasts when running/biking. Can totally forget that my body's doing stuff it doesn't love doing because my brain's making more wrinkles. 

My first instinct was to poo poo all this, but now that you relate it to running, something clicked. When I'm running, all my brain is doing is telling me to stop.

Maybe we can suggest some math problems to help ROR with his training regimen? I've always enjoyed distance word problems:

An inebriated hockey player is backing up his truck in a Tim Hortons parking lot at a speed of 1.2 meters per second. After backing up for 4.4 seconds, the car collides with the Tim Hortons building. How far away was the parking space from the building? 

Maybe we can suggest some math problems to help ROR with his training regimen? I've always enjoyed distance word problems:

An inebriated hockey player is backing up his truck in a Tim Hortons parking lot at a speed of 1.2 meters per second. After backing up for 4.4 seconds, the car collides with the Tim Hortons building. How far away was the parking space from the building? 

Epic first post.

Hello sailor.

:w00t: :lol:

It's trickier to calculate than it looks, considering the sinusoidal path he took.

I've been doing this with my boys for the past year or so.   My younger boy is learning multiplication tables so I hold up flash cards for him to solve while he's stickhandling in the garage.   Forces him to think while not looking down at the ball/puck, and it saves some time we would otherwise spend sitting down.   

Sorry guys, I've read the title on this thread a dozen times and it still reads "ROR works out while doing meth" every time. I can't help it.  :blink:

Meth would probably be better. It would add some edge to his game and ensure he never came to camp overweight. He won't have to leave the ice when a puck hits him in the face and knocks out a few teeth either because the meth would have already helped him grind them out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.