Buffalo to Host World Juniors in 2018

That Aud Smell

Huzzah.

https://twitter.com/Buccigross/status/672433259293351936

I went to a bunch of games when Buffalo hosted back in ... 2011, was it?

That was as much fun as I've had with hockey in some time. Even the semi-final where we lost to Canada - the atmosphere in that building was bonkers.

With the announcement being held at RWS, is the WJC Finals possibly an outdoor game? Or is the 2018 Winter Classic coming to Buffalo as well?

If the out door game is at the Ralph in 2018 I'd take my camper and park in the rv lot for that. Someone here was going to go to a Bills game and spend a night in the RV lot, sorry I can't remember who, but how did that work out?

We're a prime candidate for an outdoor game and I bet we get one the season after we make our trip back to the playoffs. Not to put any stakes on this season though

I doubt it's timed like that. 2018 is the 10 year anniversary of the first modern winter classic which happened at the Ralph and 2020 is our 50 year anniversary as a franchise. It'll be one or both of those.

US-Canada outdoors would be pretty great.

Can't even begin to imagine what that would be like. Just thinking about that raised the hair on my arms.

Everything they announce tomorrow is super cool for Buffalo.

I'm all a-tingle.

Yeah I can't wait to sit 3000 feet from the ice in the freezing cold to see players I can't recognize playing against other players I can't recognize. I'm sure this is fun for some, I just can't wrap my head around watching hockey in a football stadium.

I'm thinking this is going to be part of back-to-back days of outdoor hockey. US vs Canada on New Years Eve and Sabres vs (PIT? EDM? DET?) on New Years Day.

If that's the case I need to make it to both.

I would go EDM or Toronto, since a large contingent of Canadian Fans will already be here

Yeah I can't wait to sit 3000 feet from the ice in the freezing cold to see players I can't recognize playing against other players I can't recognize. I'm sure this is fun for some, I just can't wrap my head around watching hockey in a football stadium.

Not your cup of tea. That's fine.

I went to the first Winter Classic, and had a blast.

Which is to say there will be outdoor game, expected to be CAN-USA but schedule/divsions etc., of course, not set yet. But that's the plan.

Per Bob McKenzie

That's pretty awesome. The WJC is an awesome event and one I would love to go to. Always great to see the young up and coming stars playing.

Outdoors at the Ralph sounds like a pretty awesome time, even if the hockey can sometimes suffer a bit in the winter classic games.

Outdoors at the Ralph sounds like a pretty awesome time, even if the hockey can sometimes suffer a bit in the winter classic games.

Agreed on all counts. I think the outdoor ice surfaces have improved since the Winter Classic (where the hockey was really pretty fugly), but if you get snow showers, that ice is gonna be not so good.

But it'll be snowing!

I'm thinking this is going to be part of back-to-back days of outdoor hockey. US vs Canada on New Years Eve and Sabres vs (PIT? EDM? DET?) on New Years Day.

If that's the case I need to make it to both.

Sabres > USA but I might be draining my bank account to see both. By then I should have an actual job so maybe I can afford it. Any idea how much they cost last time around?

I don't think the announcement will have anything to do with the Sabres hosting another outdoor game, it's about the Juniors and adding an outdoor game to it. If I was one of the teams picked to play outdoors I wouldn't want to do it, especially in a tournament situation where all games have some meaning. If it's an exhibition game for the tournament, sure, but not a game that's going to count for something playing outside where the conditions could affect the game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.