Marvel and DC Comics superthread

LGR4GM

I'd say so. Although I'm not big for midnight shows. Usually go opening night though for things I'm really looking forward to, Lord of the Rings was among them. I find that midnight show crowds are sometimes a little boisterous for my liking, haha. The ones I've been to, anyways.

I like the atmosphere. You can meet interesting people. Had a few conversations I really enjoyed. It's great when they're not afraid to show how much they really like some type of movie. It's the same as a Sabres fan having a strong passion for the franchise. Went to see Episode 7's midnighter and have to say it was worth it. The more I think about it is increasing my want to see the midnight premier. 

I like the atmosphere. You can meet interesting people. Had a few conversations I really enjoyed. It's great when they're not afraid to show how much they really like some type of movie. It's the same as a Sabres fan having a strong passion for the franchise. Went to see Episode 7's midnighter and have to say it was worth it. The more I think about it is increasing my want to see the midnight premier.

Ya, I go to midnight premiers occasionally but not often. I agree it can be fun.

The best part about Civil War getting such good reviews is that the Russo brothers, who directed it, are scheduled to direct the next Avengers (which is in two parts). Things looking very promising for Marvel, indeed.

They also directed Winter Soldier, which for my money is one of the top 3 MCU movies yet.

1. Iron Man

2. Winter Soldier

3. The Avengers

Edited by Thorny

I just finished season 1 of Jessica Jones. I enjoyed it. It wasn't too over the top. My wife liked it too. Now we're starting Daredevil. 2 episodes in. We'll see how it goes.

Looking forward to Civil War. I'll be taking the wife and kid on Tuesday night. I'm pretty pumped for it, actually.

And I'll rank mine a little differently

1. X-Men (in general, all of em, I love the X-Men)

2. Iron Man 1

3. Blade 1 and 2.

Edited by ubkev

Anyone seen Civil War yet? There's been so much ball washing for this movie since before it came out. I thought it was OK.

So far I've heard one good review and one bad review from smart people I trust. So... I guess I better go see it and break the tie. It's just so hard to pony up for movies when I'm accustomed to getting them for free. I MISS MY FREE MOVIES. Ahem, I mean my girlfriend. I don't just love her for the movies.

So far I've heard one good review and one bad review from smart people I trust. So... I guess I better go see it and break the tie. It's just so hard to pony up for movies when I'm accustomed to getting them for free. I MISS MY FREE MOVIES. Ahem, I mean my girlfriend. I don't just love her for the movies.

It wasn't bad by any stretch. It was worth the watch. Just not in my favorites.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone seen X-men Apocalypse yet? The critics have been really hard on this one. I loved it, personally. Visually, it was pretty damn cool. And I thought the character of Apocalypse was well done. Can't wait for the next Wolverine movie.

Has anyone seen X-men Apocalypse yet? The critics have been really hard on this one. I loved it, personally. Visually, it was pretty damn cool. And I thought the character of Apocalypse was well done. Can't wait for the next Wolverine movie.

Yup. Critics were unfairly harsh for this one. Although, it was pretty split, a lot did still like it.

I thought it was really good. All the new characters were well done and the series veterans were good as usual. Good action scenes.

Quicksilver's big scene was amazing.

Finally watched Civl War. The previous Cap movies are my favorites from Marvel, but unfortunately this one fell short. The contradiction that they were being sanctioned by the gov'ts because of all the destruction they've been involved with, and then they continue it by trashing the airport and the highway above and below (copied from Joker in Dark Knight?) didn't make sense. And wouldn't T'Challa have diplomatic immunity?

I thought Crossbones and Zemo were wasted opportunities. Zemo should have been tied to his father or grandfather fighting Cap in WWII. And were's the mask? Killing the other super soldiers instead of using them was another mistake. And I thought they overdid Cap's strength, from grounding a helicopter to punching Tony's armor.

My favorite parts were Giant Man, and the Spider-man banter. But again Spider-man seemed shoehorned in without getting team training. The scene at the Parker apt should have been the post credit intro to the character.

Overall it felt rushed with too many characters for a Cap movie. The surprises and mystery of the first two movies was lacking. I found BvS much more satisfying in both story and character development.

I'm pretty sure I liked the first 14 of these movies. But,… after the watching the next 23, I'm not sure anymore. It's just too exhausting watching them save everyone every time from the end of everything every movie.

And I just can't take the music anymore. Every single one sounds like a nonstop soundtrack that is,… America.

Saw Xmen: Apocalypse, I have to say I left a bit disappointed. Apocalypse is a favorite villain of mine and I thought they missed the mark. They should have gone CGI with the character much like Thanos in the Avengers/Guardians movies or Colossus in Deadpool. Apocalypse is a larger than life character and they made him come across too human.

The Wolverine scenes made no sense to the movie or the time line established in the movies.    

The Wolverine scenes made no sense to the movie or the time line established in the movies.

I thought the wolverine scene was in line with Stryker fishing Wolverine out of the drink in Day's of Future Past in 1973. Because even though we see Logan talking to Charles at the end about all that he needs to be caught up on, that was set in present day and X-Men Apocalypse takes place in 1983. So Wolverine should be in the lab at Alkali Lake as part of the Weapon X program.

I thought the wolverine scene was in line with Stryker fishing Wolverine out of the drink in Day's of Future Past in 1973. Because even though we see Logan talking to Charles at the end about all that he needs to be caught up on, that was set in present day and X-Men Apocalypse takes place in 1983. So Wolverine should be in the lab at Alkali Lake as part of the Weapon X program.

At the end of Futures Past Mystic was Stryker, how did the real Stryker end up with him? 

At the end of Futures Past Mystic was Stryker, how did the real Stryker end up with him?

This is a fair point, but it's reasonable to assume that Stryker did just manage to get ahold of him eventually anyways, as the events of Apocalypse are 10 years after the 70's portion of DOFP. Lots of time there for the events to develop.

Ahhh, true.

But still...

This is a fair point, but it's reasonable to assume that Stryker did just manage to get ahold of him eventually anyways, as the events of Apocalypse are 10 years after the 70's portion of DOFP. Lots of time there for the events to develop.

• 1 month later...

This has been out long enough where we can talk. Right? We can talk here...

I agree fundamentally with your review, TBPhD.

The writing for this movie was pretty much awful. They clearly had a lot to deal with and they totally missed emphasizing the character motivations which would have helped to keep the story more organized and emotional. All of the emotional parts were forced, IMHO, whereas in MoS they worked quite well.

They really needed to give Lex Luthor some sort of background and motivation rather than the few bits of oblique dialogue they committed to that end.

I liked the look of the movie for the most part. Wasn't turned on by the music, but I wasn't turned off, either.

I think the Bale Batman movies had a better look and better score, but not by a whole lot. Again, the script lets this down too much.

I do like how Louis Lane was involved throughout the story, using her to humanize Superman. I also like how they introduced the other metahumans and wove WW into the story pretty well.

Overall I enjoyed the movie despite the script failings and other things mentioned above, but there is a huge, huge BUT...

I did like Affleck as Bruce Wayne/Batman. I think he could have been a lot better, again, had the script been competently pieced together. I think I would like him the best of all the film/TV incarnations, excepting "Batman: The Animated Series" which is awesome. I don't not like Bale as Batman, but he always seemed slightly "too much" for me.

The BUT lies with how they treated this version of Batman. This Batman was simply not sharp enough. It's like they wanted to turn him more into a Captain America caliber intellect rather than an authentic Batman. Part of what makes Bruce Wayne/Batman a believable super hero is that he is exceptionally clever and brilliant.

His animus towards Superman does not make sense - Bruce Wayne being out-thought by this particular Lex Luthor is not believable at all. Batman not picking up on Luthor's deceptions and grasping his plans is very un-Batman like and disappointing. His not listening to Superman before they square off is just out of character - it read totally like they just wanted the big fight scene.

Because of these failures, at the end when he's talking with WW, he simply doesn't seem worthy of standing along side the metahumans. They really need to up his cache in the next movie or this movie franchise will bomb, IMHO. Batman needs to be seen as an equal to the other heroes, not a psycho hanger-on.

And, yes, Jeremy Irons was definitely the best Alfred.

I liked it. It wasn't great or anything, but it was okay, and a lot of the negative reviews are way over the top. In no way, shape, or form is this movie Daredevil/Catwoman bad, though some of the complaints are true enough. C+/B- range for me. I'll spoiler tag the rest just in case some are super sensitive, but I'm not spoiling any specifics.

The story was jumbled and had a ton going on, some character motivations were questionable, and I was confused at a few spots as to WTF was going on. It's a 2.5 hour movie as is, but I honestly think it needed an extra half hour to flesh things out and explain things to non-comics readers. Or they could have tried not to do so much in the first place.

Eisenberg as many feared was just totally miscast. I didn't buy him as a super genius, evil megalomaniac. The while Luthor thing just didn't work for me.

I'm not normally one to complain about this, but the marketing really screwed up by putting so many of the cool moments in the trailers.

I enjoy Snyder's visual style, but if you don't, you still won't.

Cavill was fine as Superman, but if you didn't like him in MoS, he's not any different.

While I like and appreciate DC going the more serious route, if you want a Marvel style movie, you're really setting yourself up for disappointment.

Affleck was great. Truly a terrific Batman and Bruce Wayne. Instantly vaults to my favorite version of the character.

Gal Gadot wad also really good as Wonder Woman, which surprised me. Didn't think she had the screen presence to pull it off, but now I'm looking forward to her solo movie quite a bit. All of her screen time was really well executed.

Jeremy Irons: best Alfred ever.

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

That is the real problem with Dawn of Justice, the storyline somehow seemed incomplete and snyder explained why also.

The movie was supposed to last 3 hrs, but most studios don't want 3 hr movies because it means one less viewing can be done a day so you get less income.

Seems Snyder was really bummed about that, but if you got balls as a director you just bring out a 3 hr movie if its needed for the storyline. 

That is the real problem with Dawn of Justice, the storyline somehow seemed incomplete and snyder explained why also.

The movie was supposed to last 3 hrs, but most studios don't want 3 hr movies because it means one less viewing can be done a day so you get less income.

Seems Snyder was really bummed about that, but if you got balls as a director you just bring out a 3 hr movie if its needed for the storyline.

A 3 hour version will be available when released on DVD. Hopefully it improves the movie.

I finally saw Dawn of Justice, I am lukewarm on it. I did not like their version of Lex Luther. The new Superman I am starting to like and even Ben Affleck as Batman was better than I thought he would be. Being a set-up movie, I am interesting to see where all the follow-up movies go and which characters the decide to use and how. 

A 3 hour version will be available when released on DVD. Hopefully it improves the movie.

Isn't this available at various streaming locales?  I see it on Amazon at least.

If anyone has seen both versions, I'd love to know if the added bits make a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Suicide Squad Saturday morning and I will say I left the theater disappointed. I had high hopes for the movie and it didn't come close to deliver. If you have seen the trailer you have seen all the good parts of the movie. Actually, the trailer seems more well thought out than the movie. Leto's Joker portrayal is my least favorite Joker portrayal of all-time. It's a toss up between Leto's Joker and Eisenberg's portrayal of Lex Luther as to which is the worst big-screen adaptation of an iconic villain. And this is with Jamie Foxx's  version of Electro on the books. There were two saving graces. One, the soundtrack is good. Two, Harley Quinn. They might have been better off just making a HQ movie, she is the only interesting character in the movie and I though the actress did a really good job. I wish they had a better a better Joker because I just wasn't feeling it. I had to keep reminding myself that Leto was supposed to be the Joker.

I hope the upcoming Wonder Woman and Justice League movies do well, right now I have been less the impressed with this new wave of the DC universe. Which is a shame because of all of the iconic characters the DC Universe has to offer. The Batman video games may be some of the best video games ever produced, they just need to somehow capture some of that success and transfer it to the big screen.

I forgot to mention Will Smith as Deadshot, which should tell you all you need to know about how I felt about Will Smith as Deadshot.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.