NHL should have a speed gun on shots

bob_sauve28

True. But how often would a form-fitting sweater keep someone wearing hockey gloves from grabbing more jersey than a typical sweater?

Loose material is much easier to grab and also easy to get away with grabbing. Tighter material is harder to get a grip on and more obvious if pulled on.

Here is a rule change I think they should add...

When a goalie goes down for an injury and the game is stopped while the puck is still in the defending goalie's zone the goalie should be required to sit for one whistle.  Ryan Miller did a nice job of faking an injury today to stop some good pressure....as an example and then he stays in the game...

Not sure the whistle should have blown there. The Sabres were in possession. The officials of course have the discretion to stop play immediately if the goalie is seriously injured. I didn't think Miller would have needed Mercy Flight.

No idea what that means. But their soccer cleats & tennis shoes are 1st rate.

He's talking about the classic "Samba" indoor soccer shoe from Adidas, which has hardly changed at all since its inception in 1950.  Another model Adidas has not screwed with over time is the classic Stan Smith tennis shoe.  

Adolph Dassler basically invented the modern sports shoe industry in the 1930s.  I look forward to seeing what his company does with hockey.

He's talking about the classic "Samba" indoor soccer shoe from Adidas, which has hardly changed at all since its inception in 1950.  Another model Adidas has not screwed with over time is the classic Stan Smith tennis shoe.  

Adolph Dassler basically invented the modern sports shoe industry in the 1930s.  I look forward to seeing what his company does with hockey.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

I find it distracting, but non HD hockey can be tough to watch. I understand the thinking behind it.

Which is a very good point.

People mock the blue puck today, but back in the day, watching hockey on TV in non-HD, everyone lost sight of the puck once in a while. It wasn't bad enough for me to wish for something like the FOX solution, though.

I've been watching hockey my whole life, and I still lose track of the puck in HD, but mostly because the camera guy does, and has the camera track where *he* thinks the puck is at.

I actually think you are on to something. That is one thing that the NHL does a very poor job marketing, the speed of the game. 

If they could track the speed of players, passes, and shots in MPH, i really think it would open some minds to the game. 

Or even at what speed someone got hit at, or ran into the boards at. 

The players! Wow, that's an even better idea. You know, I don't even know how fast the players do skate. What, ummm..25-30 mph? I'd love that, if we could see on replay how fast they accelerated, which players got to top speed the fastest, etc. 

The players! Wow, that's an even better idea. You know, I don't even know how fast the players do skate. What, ummm..25-30 mph? I'd love that, if we could see on replay how fast they accelerated, which players got to top speed the fastest, etc. 

Really hockey games are being broadcast like 30 years ago. (but worse, really)

Last year we saw Duffer with the Corsi segments which was the vanilla base of a boring sundae. 

Things producers could track...... shots in MPH. How fast players are skating. collision speeds. Zone time clocks. Possession clocks. Entry speeds. Transitions time from D zone to O zone. I would even love Real Time Stats on the bottom as soon as they are scored. 

Examples such as:  Gorges Block, Foligno Hit, Ennis Shot. O'Reilly wins Draw, Ullmark Save.  

Last year we saw Duffer with the Corsi segments which was the vanilla base of a boring sundae. 

Things producers could track...... shots in MPH. How fast players are skating. collision speeds. Zone time clocks. Possession clocks. Entry speeds. Transitions time from D zone to O zone. I would even love Real Time Stats on the bottom as soon as they are scored. 

Examples such as:  Gorges Block, Foligno Hit, Ennis Shot. O'Reilly wins Draw, Ullmark Save.  

I like the original idea and I like your additions as well.

They're routinely doing this in MLB games. Not uncommon to see a player running faster than 20 mph.

Some of those time clock stats could be shown live.  Meanwhile, MSG hasn't even figured out how to display Shots on Goal in real time.

Ugh, I hate the never-ending stat line at the bottom of football games, and by extension most other TV. It you want to see stats, just pick up your phone and look them up. Don't clutter up the screen with it since you won't be able to watch the hockey and keep an eye on the stat line waiting for the stat you’re interested in to come up. Maybe 5-10 years ago it would make sense, but as I can have my phone show me the box score and just about anything else nearly instantly, just no. The shot speed makes some sense since it's not like you're going to go back an look to see "Shot at 10:37 in the 2nd" to see the speed. And player speed during replays or something would be pretty cool.

Chips in pucks and skates, sensors on the goal line and blue line for automating goals and offsides.     How cool would it be if the posts on the net lit up, or some other automated notification (goal horn?) when the sensors detect a goal.     There is no good reason this couldn't be done tomorrow.    Think back to the Cup winning goal by Patrick Kane vs the Flyers.   Nobody new what was going on for a few minutes except Kane.     That needs to be fixed yesterday.

The problem I see with that (and maybe not so much of a problem) would be knowing both the exact location of the puck (calibration) and it's orientation (because obviously a puck up on edge could be in the goal while a puck in the same location lying flat might still be touching the line).  Another issue with sensors could be lag time, and also there's the expense (considering how many pucks are lost during a game).  I don't think any of these is insurmountable but the NHL would need to be convinced that the extra expense would be worth it in terms of benefit versus expense plus detriments (i.e., possible false goals, etc.)  I think they should be doing research along these lines though.  Maybe bring in one of the sports equipment manufacturers to work the problem.

The problem I see with that (and maybe not so much of a problem) would be knowing both the exact location of the puck (calibration) and it's orientation (because obviously a puck up on edge could be in the goal while a puck in the same location lying flat might still be touching the line). Another issue with sensors could be lag time, and also there's the expense (considering how many pucks are lost during a game). I don't think any of these is insurmountable but the NHL would need to be convinced that the extra expense would be worth it in terms of benefit versus expense plus detriments (i.e., possible false goals, etc.) I think they should be doing research along these lines though. Maybe bring in one of the sports equipment manufacturers to work the problem.

Fox was able to do it 15 - 20 years ago. I would think with all the new tech it should be able to be done and cheaper

Fox was able to do it 15 - 20 years ago. I would think with all the new tech it should be able to be done and cheaper

I think it would be somewhat underwhelming.   I could see it become useful when advanced stats are available for display by the viewer, eg time on ice, hits, shots, etc... with 4k and upcoming 8k, the size of displays will grow ever larger, giving more screen real estate for statisitcal overlays etc....   it's coming.

If it's just being done for fancy stats, it shouldn't be too big a deal to implement because the exact sensor location in the puck isn't critical.

If it's done for goal line (& possibly blue line) traversal, they'll need multiple sensors and the sensors will need to be placed precisely. Still doable, but much more expensive. Could also be done w/ a single sensor if multiple sensons that aren't in a single pane are used in the nets.

But that was for "exhibition" purposes and didn't affect any rulings on the ice.  If you want to use sensors to actually indicate goals, etc., you need a much higher level of certification.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.