Linus Ullmark: the Swede that we need

LGR4GM

Ullmark with player of the week honours in the A.

I do wonder what GM TM's thoughts are on carrying two ostensible #1's. Or, at least, guys who will warrant a shot as a #1.

I don't remember what interview it was, but in one of the talks with the WGR afternoon guys Murray said he definitely thought of Ullmark as a future number 1. Lehner has played well, and I think he's GMTM's guy, so I wonder if Linus doesn't get shipped out in a year or two when its clear he's ready to be a full time number one. So much can happen in that time that its not really worth thinking about now, but I bet its on Murray's mind. 

Guys Linus' age and experience aren't number ones in the NHL in this day and age. They just aren't.

Assuming Robin doesn't get injured or self-destruct, Linus will play most of next year in the AHL.

The following year he will enter the season as an NHL back-up.

If he's as good as we think he is, this will become a question in the 2018/19 season.

Guys Linus' age and experience aren't number ones in the NHL in this day and age. They just aren't.

Assuming Robin doesn't get injured or self-destruct, Linus will play most of next year in the AHL.

The following year he will enter the season as an NHL back-up.

If he's as good as we think he is, this will become a question in the 2018/19 season.

How do you figure that? As in, are there other examples of goalies with that age/experience but playing as well as Linus has, both in the NHL and AHL?

Ullmark with player of the week honours in the A.

I do wonder what GM TM's thoughts are on carrying two ostensible #1's. Or, at least, guys who will warrant a shot as a #1.

http://www.amerks.com/article/ULLMARK%20NAMED%20CCM-AHL%20PLAYER%20OF%20THE%20WEEK

Link if any1 want to read about

Edited by MODO Hockey

How do you figure that? As in, are there other examples of goalies with that age/experience but playing as well as Linus has, both in the NHL and AHL?

Promised to follow up when I had the time.

This is the list of all the number one goalies, along with their age and how many pro seasons they'd played before breaking through as a clear-cut starter

Ryan Miller: 4, 25

Martin Jones: 6, 26

Semyon Varlamov: 4, 25

Frederick Anderson: 3, 25

Mike Smith: 9, 29

Cam Talbot: 6, 29

Jonathan Quick, 3, 23

Anti niemi: 3, 26

Kari Lehtonen 4, 24

Corey Crawford 6, 26

Pekka Rinne, 4, 26

Ondrej Pavelec 4, 23

Devon Dubnyk 9, 28

Tuuka Rask 7, 26

Carey Price 4, 24 (he was splitting however as a rookie)

Robin Lehner 6, 24

Craig Anderson 9, 28

Robert Luongo 3, 23

jimmy Howard 5, 25

Ben Bishop 6, 27

Henrik Lundqvist, 1, 23

Jaro Halak 6, 25

Brayden Holtby 5, 24

Corey Schnieder 7, 27

MA Fleury 3, 22

Sergei Bobrovsky 1, 22

Other than the oddity of Bob, you've got very few goalies stepping into the number one job in the past 10 years at less than age 24, or Prior to their fourth year pro. If Linus is challenging in two or three years, he will be ahead of the curve.

Damn, that is one impressive list. How did you find that data? Just brute force?

For perspecitve:

Linus Ullmark, 1, 22.

So, with Lehner here and playing very well lately (seems I jumped on him a little too early), it looks like Linus may indeed be destined for an AHL role, or back-up. I still think he's the back-up next year though

Damn, that is one impressive list. How did you find that data? Just brute force?

For perspecitve:

Linus Ullmark, 1, 22.

So, with Lehner here and playing very well lately (seems I jumped on him a little too early), it looks like Linus may indeed be destined for an AHL role, or back-up. I still think he's the back-up next year though

Parsed it all from hockeydb.

I think he will be as good as our backup next year, probably better, but I think the team is better off giving him 60+ games in Rochester than 25 behind Lehner.

Promised to follow up when I had the time.

This is the list of all the number one goalies, along with their age and how many pro seasons they'd played before breaking through as a clear-cut starter

Ryan Miller: 4, 25

Martin Jones: 6, 26

Semyon Varlamov: 4, 25

Frederick Anderson: 3, 25

Mike Smith: 9, 29

Cam Talbot: 6, 29

Jonathan Quick, 3, 23

Anti niemi: 3, 26

Kari Lehtonen 4, 24

Corey Crawford 6, 26

Pekka Rinne, 4, 26

Ondrej Pavelec 4, 23

Devon Dubnyk 9, 28

Tuuka Rask 7, 26

Carey Price 4, 24 (he was splitting however as a rookie)

Robin Lehner 6, 24

Craig Anderson 9, 28

Robert Luongo 3, 23

jimmy Howard 5, 25

Ben Bishop 6, 27

Henrik Lundqvist, 1, 23

Jaro Halak 6, 25

Brayden Holtby 5, 24

Corey Schnieder 7, 27

MA Fleury 3, 22

Sergei Bobrovsky 1, 22

Other than the oddity of Bob, you've got very few goalies stepping into the number one job in the past 10 years at less than age 24, or Prior to their fourth year pro. If Linus is challenging in two or three years, he will be ahead of the curve.

Wow, great legwork.  :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Linus Ullmark is playing like a boss, awesome news.

" The Amerks scored once in each period on goals from Cole Schneider, Justin Bailey and Chad Ruhwedel while Linus Ullmark was again outstanding in net for Rochester, stopping 42 of 43 attempts, including a highlight reel glove save, on his way to earning first star honors. The former Swedish Goaltender of the Year has now won a season-long four straight games and has topped the 40-save mark in six of his 19 starts this season. "

http://www.amerks.com/recap/20160316

Any time a GM gives up a first to get a goalie, I have to believe that he thinks that is the goalie of the future.

this.

I don't see GMTM giving Ullmark a shot at the #1 spot next season and he needs to play.   I could see him possibly get moved as part of a larger deal over the summer, or spend all next season in Roch unless there are injuries.       

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.