Biggest Area Of Need

WildCard

Pysyk can do it too.  He tends to move the puck with a pass (and he's pretty good with a long pass), but he'll skate it into the offensive zone if the opportunity presents.

He's funny about that. Remember on the Ottawa off sides play he slowed down and threw the play off, and he keeps doing that, slowing down at the blue line. I suppose that's just a thing he'll figure out but he seems stuck between attcking and not getting caught. Love Pysyk, though for sure

I wonder if Murray thanks Bogo and Risto are/will be good enough to be our defensive anchors.

As far as transition goes, Risto and Pysyk can skate it and pass it and could improve to be weapons at that level.

Bogosian can skate it, but his first pass is lacking.

Franson's first pass is excellent, but he can't skate.

Weber and Gorges should have the puck on their sticks as little as possible.

Haven't seen enough of McCabe yet to pass judgment.

It's pretty clear our priority is a Christian Ehrhoff in his prime type to upgrade Franson and then a similar LD with our first pick next year. We have goalies and RWs in the pipeline.

Edited by dudacek

I wonder if Murray thanks Bogo and Risto are/will be good enough to be our defensive anchors.

As far as transition goes, Risto and Pysyk can skate it and pass it and could improve to be weapons at that level.

Bogosian can skate it, but his first pass is lacking.

Franson's first pass is excellent, but he can't skate.

Weber and Gorges should have the puck on their sticks as little as possible.

Haven't seen enough of McCabe yet to pass judgment.

It's pretty clear our priority is a Christian Ehrhoff in his prime type to upgrade Franson and then a similar LD with our first pick next year. We have goalies and RWs in the pipeline.

confused-29.gif

I remember him grabbing the puck and charging out of the zone, but I don't remember him hitting breaking forwards in stride — he's a pause and look guy, not a one-touch passer.

Ah OK, thanks. Good observation. It'll be interesting to see if he opens it up some now that he has teammates with the capability of carrying the puck out of the zone.

I tend to agree that wingers are the least of our worries. Pittsburgh just throws wingers at Crosby and they turn into all-stars, and Chicago let Saad and Sharp go just to have Teuvo and Panarin replace them. Having skilled wingers is important, but it is definitely a game-changer for your roster when you have centers like we do. Plus, I think Girgs can fit in that 2nd line wing role on any night too. 

I'm just not comfortable with Guhle and a semi-healthy Bogosian being the solutions. I know Guhle is years away, and Pysk and McCabe can develop, but as others have said in this thread, we need our Keith/Seabrooke, our Pronger/Nierdermyer, those guys you can play 27 minutes in a playoffs game and they can shut down the opposition, leaving your 3rd pair on the bench

I think our forwards 1 through 12 have the potential to be as good as any group in the league.  I like the depth we now have up-front.  But, as a matter of personal opinion, I agree that we need to find our "stud" two-way defensive pair that can go head-to-head with the best the league has to offer and hold their own.  Hopefully Risto develops into that kind of player - he seems to be well on his way.  Next year we'll have Gionta and Leggy off of the books, so maybe that salary will go to a free agent defenseman?

Our defensemen are really young this year, so maybe "patience" is part of the answer.

I think our forwards 1 through 12 have the potential to be as good as any group in the league.  I like the depth we now have up-front.  But, as a matter of personal opinion, I agree that we need to find our "stud" two-way defensive pair that can go head-to-head with the best the league has to offer and hold their own.  Hopefully Risto develops into that kind of player - he seems to be well on his way.  Next year we'll have Gionta and Leggy off of the books, so maybe that salary will go to a free agent defenseman?

Our defensemen are really young this year, so maybe "patience" is part of the answer.

While there are some interesting RFA's available (Barrie, S Jones, Reilly) the overall class is weak and I think those guys will be signed by the time FA hits.

I have read all the comments and really despite the Sabres needing to score and play stronger on D, more limit the hiccups that happen with any young team, the real need is goaltender. A solid goalie covers up these mistakes thereby giving these guys confidence that they have someone competent covering their backside.

A strong goalie solves a lot of ills as these young guys work out their kinks imo.

I have read all the comments and really despite the Sabres needing to score and play stronger on D, more limit the hiccups that happen with any young team, the real need is goaltender. A solid goalie covers up these mistakes thereby giving these guys confidence that they have someone competent covering their backside.

A strong goalie solves a lot of ills as these young guys work out their kinks imo.

We already have who TM thinks is a strong goalie, he's just hurt.

We already have who TM thinks is a strong goalie, he's just hurt.

Oh Yeh, I am not really sold on that choice. Believe Lehner is one of TM's miscalulations as a number 1 and could prove if he is too stubborn about it, a fatal flaw in what appears to be a pretty well executed plan of improvement. Not saying Lehner is bad just not the level this young team needs.

Oh Yeh, I am not really sold on that choice. Believe Lehner is one of TM's miscalulations as a number 1 and could prove if he is too stubborn about it, a fatal flaw in what appears to be a pretty well executed plan of improvement. Not saying Lehner is bad just not the level this young team needs.

My point was that you're not going to see TM go out and acquire a #1 goalie until Lehner gets his shot.

Lehner is a guy that a lot of people are down on already, despite the fact that he's only had a few pre-season games to get back into form and then promptly got injured again. I'm not saying he's the answer, but he deserves the same patience we're giving Bylsma and this young squad.

My point was that you're not going to see TM go out and acquire a #1 goalie until Lehner gets his shot.

Lehner is a guy that a lot of people are down on already, despite the fact that he's only had a few pre-season games to get back into form and then promptly got injured again. I'm not saying he's the answer, but he deserves the same patience we're giving Bylsma and this young squad.

I agree Lehner's is gonna get his shot and he may be TM's albatross as a result hope i am wrong...

So we've seen a few games, definitely not enough to judge this team, but maybe enough to know where our areas of weakness are. It's well known on this board our need for a RW, goal-tending is a huge question and a LHD or a stable top pairing defense for that matter. So, my question is, what do we target next? 

I can't get past the first line. If there is not enough time to judge this team than how can we get to the conclusion of what the teams weaknesses are? 

I can't get past the first line. If there is not enough time to judge this team than how can we get to the conclusion of what the teams weaknesses are? 

The point being that we know this is a young team, and we can't call McCabe, Pysk, and other youngsters definitively as successful or not, but we can discern what our potential and likely weaknesses are. As you'll note at the start of the thread, 3 areas of concern are laid out, and our 3 best prospects in those areas are detailed. Hence the areas of concern aren't solely limited to the current roster. 

The point being that we know this is a young team, and we can't call McCabe, Pysk, and other youngsters definitively as successful or not, but we can discern what our potential and likely weaknesses are. As you'll note at the start of the thread, 3 areas of concern are laid out, and our 3 best prospects in those areas are detailed. Hence the areas of concern aren't solely limited to the current roster. 

IMO, it's too early for concerns. There are no strengths or weaknesses at this point, only potential. We have to let this thing play out before we can come to any definitive conclusions. There just isn't enough data to come to any conclusions. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.