Overturned Goal... WHOA!!

Cage

2 out of 11 is 18% or almost 1 out of 5.    That would be brutal if 1 out of 5 games had outcomes changed because of this stupidity.

Look at what it did to the Sabres last night.   The momentum mid-third period was all Buffalo, the team was getting its act together, the early jitters gone, chemistry was beginning...  The score was tied - the team and the fans were energized....   I had the feeling the Sabres were going to rally and win the game. 

And then, there's a lengthy delay in the game  - and the entire Sabres team gets a kick in the teeth - No goal;   momentum killed,  players angry, tired and frustrated.   Rally killed - thanks to the Zebras. 

What a horrible way to start the season;  in unprecedented fashion.      

Edited by Jsixspd

2 out of 11 is 18% or almost 1 out of 5.    That would be brutal if 1 out of 5 games had outcomes changed because of this stupidity.

Look at what it did to the Sabres last night.   The momentum mid-third period was all Buffalo, the team was getting its act together, the early jitters gone, chemistry was beginning...  The score was tied - the team and the fans were energized....   I had the feeling the Sabres were going to rally and win the game. 

And then, there's a lengthy delay in the game  - and the entire Sabres team gets a kick in the teeth - No goal;   momentum killed,  players angry, tired and frustrated.   Rally killed - thanks to the Zebras. 

There was still a tremendous amount if energy in the building after the challenge. It killed the goal, but it didn't kill the momentum. Risto nearly tied it shortly after and counting the empty netter, the Otters only got ~4 shots that period.

If you were at the game and bought a hot dog during that time you would have to bring it back and go to end of line :)

:w00t:

Two loose ends... on another broadcast they talked about the video review coach sitting at the end of the bench. They said the Ottawa assistant coach sprinted down to the other coach. Where exactly does the video dude sit? Why wouldn't he be upstairs? What's he outfitted with? I trust we have the best video technology in the league. Also how does the coach signal a challenge? Is there a challenge hanky? Does he do semaphore (googled it, don't pat me on the back for that one)? Shoot a t-shirt gun at the ref?

This whole thing is BS.... I'm looking around a couple of NHL sites and they actually seem to be validating the coaches challenge in getting it right.  I can't believe there aren't opinion pieces out there railing about what a mistake it was to mess up a game through rules like this.   How on earth does this add to the game?

Two loose ends... on another broadcast they talked about the video review coach sitting at the end of the bench. They said the Ottawa assistant coach sprinted down to the other coach. Where exactly does the video dude sit? Why wouldn't he be upstairs? What's he outfitted with? I trust we have the best video technology in the league. Also how does the coach signal a challenge? Is there a challenge hanky? Does he do semaphore (googled it, don't pat me on the back for that one)? Shoot a t-shirt gun at the ref?

They didn't have any transmissions to the press box or anywhere else at the time. The assistant coach thought it was offsides and told the head coach, who told the officials.

I'm not upset about the rule. I am however upset about the time it took for them to make the call. Five or six minutes of sitting on your hands in the stands waiting...

My problem with the challenge last night is that it took way too long to review.   If it's not obvious in the first 30s of looking at replays, then it should be ruled inconclusive and we move on.    It's the obvious missed call they're trying to eliminate, not the "offsides by 1 mm" plays which take forever to review.     Hopefully they address that. 

From the GDT:

When it comes to playing hockey, I feel that there is a certain respect that players need to have for the random nature of the game.  You can make a great play in perfect position that ends up bouncing directly to the other team.  You can fight through an obvious hold and get called for a it yourself.  The best way to approach the game is to keep your feet moving no matter what random BS happens. The coach's challenge flies in the face of that particular spirit. It feels wrong.

But the NHL is a pro league, maybe the challenge isn't a bad thing to have. More data needed.

They didn't have any transmissions to the press box or anywhere else at the time. The assistant coach thought it was offsides and told the head coach, who told the officials.

I'm not upset about the rule. I am however upset about the time it took for them to make the call. Five or six minutes of sitting on your hands in the stands waiting...

Ray Ferraro on TSN said the assistant coach sprinted to the tunnel where the video coach is. I didn't even know teams had video coaches.

Whether the goal is rejected or not, it's an extra timeout for the other team to slow down the opponent's momentum. 

Signal_lamp_training.jpg

Signal_lamp_training.jpg

Is that semaphore? I always thought semaphore was what those guys do to direct planes into their parking spots.

It's actually better to use the challenge than to call a timeout. You get more rest on the challenge.

But there has to be a basis for the challenge, right? A team can't say, hey, that was offside, when it wasn't even close, can they?

Is that semaphore? I always thought semaphore was what those guys do to direct planes into their parking spots.

I was suggesting an alternate method to semaphore flags. That's a signal lamp, you flash Morse with it. Semaphore flags are a different system, where the two flags in someone's arm are used in combination to spell out letters. I'm guessing semaphore is pre-Morse (pre telegraph). This explains it pretty well. It also covers signal lamps at the end:

Edited by MattPie

So you only have the ability to challenge offsides and goalie interference occurring between the whistles? What if a team is offside, the goalie freezes the puck and you score directly off the ensuing draw? I really hate this rule.

You can only challenge if a goal is scored.

Greg Bauch completes me:

”If the NHL came out today and said that the new coach challenge option makes it possible for the Sabres to be declared the winner of Game 6 of the 1999 Stanley Cup Finals, I still would like for this change to never have existed. Coach challenges are offensive. They are not sports."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.