As season gets closer, problem with expectations...

mjd1001

I was talking to a friend about this last night...so how are the Sabres going to do?

That is the problem I am having. We have opinions on sports. That is a large part of the reason we watch.

In the past, I had the opinion coming out of the early 2000's lockout that the Sabres would be a playoff team...I was laughed at but I was right.  In the immediate post Brierre and Drury years, I thought the team would be really good and a top 5 conference team, and I was really wrong. But, that is what we do, we form strong opinions.

HOWEVER, I have no feeling for this current team, ZERO.  Maybe that is a good thing, to just sit back and relax and watch.

-If told me this team was going to finish 26th or 27th in the league this year and draft in the top 5, it wouldn't surprise me. If Reinhart and Eichel aren't really ready, and combine to score 15-20 goals, and they have a problem in net....I wouldn't be happy but I'd almost expect it.

-If you told me the team was going to be competitive most nights,  battle for 8th in the conference for most of the year but fall back late in the season and finish 9th, 10th, or 11th.....again, I wouldn't be surpised at all.

-Finally, If you tell me this team will be one of the top 10 teams in the league, battling for the #4 spot in the conference...with Eichel or Reinhart having a short at Rookie of the Year and Kane scoring 30+ and O'Rielly having an all-star year....I would not argue with that either.

So what is my point?  For the first time ever, I have no way to have strong feelings on this team.  I think it is just as likely they are a 70 point team or a 100 point team or anywhere in between.

Edited by mjd1001

It's a new team - 13 players expected to be regulars who weren't here for all or most of last year, plus a new coaching staff.

That type of turnover might be unprecedented in NHL history, especially considering how much of it is in key positions.

The team is going to take some time to discover itself, let alone us getting a handle on it.

Edited by dudacek

Agree, mjd. This feels like a year to just sit back, relax and be a fan again. It's going to take time. Why stress? And so much crud has been washed away — Lindy, Darcy, Leino, Hodgson, Miller, the shield-licker (forget his name, sorry), Stafford, Battista, Black. I know I'm forgetting some. Vanek maybe? Myers? Our long national nightmare is over. Even Terry is surely spending 80% of his time at One Bills Drive. Reset time. It feels good.

Edited by PASabreFan

The hardest part of this season for me may be dealing with some of the fans, talk radio and the message boards.  If, IF they do still miss the playoffs, I'm going to have a hard time getting through the posts and the callers who are going to say "Fire Murray, he's an Idiot" or "Eichel and/or Reinhart are busts" or even "Same old Sabres"..........when in all honesty if they do miss the playoffs, even by a lot, I think that is part of what can be expected.

The hardest part of this season for me may be dealing with some of the fans, talk radio and the message boards.  If, IF they do still miss the playoffs, I'm going to have a hard time getting through the posts and the callers who are going to say "Fire Murray, he's an Idiot" or "Eichel and/or Reinhart are busts" or even "Same old Sabres"..........when in all honesty if they do miss the playoffs, even by a lot, I think that is part of what can be expected.

Doubt you'll find many of those on this board.

OMG I need this.  I miss just enjoying the ride.  Sure, you could complain about individual plays or players, but it's been a long time since I've just enjoyed the ride.

Yep. A drama-free season when we can just enjoy watching the kids grow. No is the team moving, will they pay the captains, will they pay anybody else, why is this core so soft, why is DR still here, why are they tanking, etc., etc..

Went to maybe 6 games last year, and at least 3 of those really wasn't into making the drive. Reeeaaaaaly looking forward to this year.

This team has talent.  We are beginning what I think will be an exciting journey.  I think the biggest question is, are we going to have a year of so-so improvement or will we be able to compete for the playoffs?  What I do feel confident in is that Murray will be constantly evaluating and looking for upgrades anywhere he can, so even if this is another down year, we'll still be moving in a positive direction overall.  If nothing else, the young guys will get a season of experience and working together and we'll see who will stick around.  That's another exciting aspect for me, with Murray you never know when he'll make a move.

This team has talent.  We are beginning what I think will be an exciting journey.  I think the biggest question is, are we going to have a year of so-so improvement or will we be able to compete for the playoffs?  What I do feel confident in is that Murray will be constantly evaluating and looking for upgrades anywhere he can, so even if this is another down year, we'll still be moving in a positive direction overall.  If nothing else, the young guys will get a season of experience and working together and we'll see who will stick around.  That's another exciting aspect for me, with Murray you never know when he'll make a move.

Murray seems to have a very Punch Imlach-ish outlook. Willing to make just about any deal as long as the Sabres are better when all is said and done. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see at least 1, if not 2, non-deadline day deals where the Sabres give up quantity for quality. Also expect the total value going out to be slightly more than what comes back. But with 3rd/4th liners and middling prospects being extremely fungable, I'll be good w/ it/them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.