Windows 10

JJFIVEOH

If you want to do a clean WinX install, just do the upgrade then make a boot disk with a USB stick and install off of that. Kind of annoying to need to install twice, but it's the route I plan on going.

While I didn't do the clean install of Win10, you CAN d/l Win10 directly from MS and make a boot disk or usb stick from the d/l then do a clean install without having to provide any software keys.  Directions are all over google.  You can also create the usb boot stick from the "hidden" $Windows.~BT directory (or whatever they name it) which has already been loaded onto your pc's c:\ drive.  Again google for the info.

....and..... I'm hosed.

Last night while I was surfing on Chrome, the computer rebooted (it's done that a few times since the upgrade).  When it came back, EVERYTHING is working much more slowly, especially Chrome.  I think maybe this afternoon if I can get internet connectivity to work I'll try to do a fresh install of Chrome.

....and..... I'm hosed.

Last night while I was surfing on Chrome, the computer rebooted (it's done that a few times since the upgrade).  When it came back, EVERYTHING is working much more slowly, especially Chrome.  I think maybe this afternoon if I can get internet connectivity to work I'll try to do a fresh install of Chrome.

Could your reboot be your setup for Windows Update?  I think 10 defaults to automatically installing updates and rebooting.  I've had new updates show up almost daily since I upgraded last week and each one required a reboot.  I went in and turned off the "automatic reboot feature.  I let 10 notify me that my pc needs a reboot and then I can choose if I want to do it immediately or not.  I've also noticed when I reboot my pc runs slower for a period of time - possibly Windows rebuilding cache and running all those friggin background processes.  10 has a fast-start feature which doesn't apply when rebooting and rebooting does seem to take longer than my old Win7 box.

Hopefully that's all it is.  FYI I got away from Chrome and use Firefox almost exclusively and have had no issues with it.

Could your reboot be your setup for Windows Update?  I think 10 defaults to automatically installing updates and rebooting.  I've had new updates show up almost daily since I upgraded last week and each one required a reboot.  I went in and turned off the "automatic reboot feature.  I let 10 notify me that my pc needs a reboot and then I can choose if I want to do it immediately or not.  I've also noticed when I reboot my pc runs slower for a period of time - possibly Windows rebuilding cache and running all those friggin background processes.  10 has a fast-start feature which doesn't apply when rebooting and rebooting does seem to take longer than my old Win7 box.

Hopefully that's all it is.  FYI I got away from Chrome and use Firefox almost exclusively and have had no issues with it.

Is it just me or has Firefox gotten slow over the last few months. I have both Chrome and Firefox installed. As much as I hate anything Google related (yes I have an Android) it's been much faster for me that Firefox lately. 

Where did you go to do this?

I'm doing this totally from memory as I'm in a training class and won't get back to my pc until who knows when but I think you go under start - settings - update and then look around there.  You can choose windows update on the left side of the screen and you'll have options listed on the right side.  I think there's a choice about automatically loading updates vs. allowing you to be notified that you need to restart your computer.  You might have to go under advanced if that shows somewhere.  FYI I'm running Windows 10 professional but I'd guess Home works the same way as I just updated my wife's laptop and it appeared the same.

sorry I can't be more specific but I seem to remember it's pretty evident once you get into the right setup window.

Is it just me or has Firefox gotten slow over the last few months. I have both Chrome and Firefox installed. As much as I hate anything Google related (yes I have an Android) it's been much faster for me that Firefox lately. 

Funny I thought just the opposite.  When I first got pissed off at IE I started using Chrome but it seemed to get more bloated and slower as I used more and more google apps (play, gmail, calendar).  But Firefox just seems to move along consistently and rarely hangs up.  And I think Win10 is MUCH more responsive than Win7 was (can't speak for Win8 as I never used it).

Funny I thought just the opposite.  When I first got pissed off at IE I started using Chrome but it seemed to get more bloated and slower as I used more and more google apps (play, gmail, calendar).  But Firefox just seems to move along consistently and rarely hangs up.  And I think Win10 is MUCH more responsive than Win7 was (can't speak for Win8 as I never used it).

I use a couple of add-ons for both browsers that block all that crap, maybe that slows Firefox down. After running all three OS's I think 10 is faster than 8.1, but not by as much as 8.1 is faster than 7. I'm sure it's different for everybody depending on the comnbinations.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Well, it turns out it was just trying to load new version of Chrome and that was what screwed everything up.  It's flying again.

good to hear

I use a couple of add-ons for both browsers that block all that crap, maybe that slows Firefox down. After running all three OS's I think 10 is faster than 8.1, but not by as much as 8.1 is faster than 7. I'm sure it's different for everybody depending on the comnbinations.

I was going to ask if you had a bunch of add-ons installed.  I try to stay away from them.  We're finding more and more here at work that they're interfering with programming we're doing and at home I really haven't found any that are so impressive I just have to install them.

good to hear

I was going to ask if you had a bunch of add-ons installed.  I try to stay away from them.  We're finding more and more here at work that they're interfering with programming we're doing and at home I really haven't found any that are so impressive I just have to install them.

I'm using Adblock and Ghostery. If I disable them it doesn't make that much of a difference. It's nothing major, just noticed Firefox is a little slower for me.

So Win10 killed my computer.

Several times it either spontaneously rebooted or just locked up.

I did a chat with MS tech support but they were no help.

So I rolled back to Win7. Nothing works unless I boot up in Safe Mode.

The computer's about 4-5 years old.... I guess it's time for a tech refresh.

So Win10 killed my computer.

Several times it either spontaneously rebooted or just locked up.

I did a chat with MS tech support but they were no help.

So I rolled back to Win7. Nothing works unless I boot up in Safe Mode.

The computer's about 4-5 years old.... I guess it's time for a tech refresh.

FWIW, a clean install of either will probably be fine. Upgrade installs (and rolling back) is always fraught with peril unless the roll back is using images taken before the upgrade.

I actually think I have a hardware problem that may or may not be related to the Windows upgrade.  Basically, my HD light will stay on for an hour or more for no apparent reason.  At one point I panicked and thought maybe a Trojan was stealing my files, but it does it even if not connected to the internet.

The computer is old enough that rather than messing with it I'd rather just replace it.  If I can't get my data off, I'll let my son play with it.  He's studying to get several computer certs and actually wants projects like this to play with/practice on.  If he can get it working well again I may just use the computer as a server for backup/storage.

I actually think I have a hardware problem that may or may not be related to the Windows upgrade.  Basically, my HD light will stay on for an hour or more for no apparent reason.  At one point I panicked and thought maybe a Trojan was stealing my files, but it does it even if not connected to the internet.

The computer is old enough that rather than messing with it I'd rather just replace it.  If I can't get my data off, I'll let my son play with it.  He's studying to get several computer certs and actually wants projects like this to play with/practice on.  If he can get it working well again I may just use the computer as a server for backup/storage.

Hands-on experience breaking stuff and fixing it will take your kid far if he's good. Look at me, I'm living proof! :) If I can make a recommendation, I see more and more Linux stuff in the office, so throwing a copy of some Linux system (like CentOS since it's enterprise-y) would be a great learning experience. If he's going to get into any sort of IT or development work, odds are he'll brush up against Linux at some point and being "the guy who knows some Linux" is a valuable tag to have.

I'll mention that to him.  Once I recover any files off of the old computer, I'll basically let him do whatever he wants with it.  He asked if we had any old computers around so now we do.  I considered playing around with it myself, but it just seems like it would take some time, time I would prefer doing other things.

Glutton for punishment, aren't ya? :P

If you've got noting to lose, do a complete system restore to Windows 7, then go right to 10 if you want to give it another chance. At least that way the update has a fresh install to work with instead of years of junk buried in your comp.

Nah, it's acting funny again. I think there's a HD issue.

Don't be so sure. People don't realize how screwed up their comps get after a few years just from temp files, registry edits, corrupt files, etc....... then to top it off an update to Windows 10 and then back to 7. I tried the downgrade to 7 and it hosed my comp up big time because it doesn't save everything it needs to perform the downgrade correctly. Try the system restore, you'll be surprised. Shouldn't take more than an hour. Might need to go through all the updates after that to get Windows 10.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.