Windows 10

JJFIVEOH

I force-started the upgrade last night.  Had to update graphics drivers to achieve max res.  Had to alter sound device settings to get any output (surround 5.1 on the optical out failed output test, needed to drop to 2-channel high rate output).

Now have run into the problem that mp3 format isn't recognized in the music app or windows media player- files are listed, but not playable due to unrecognized format.  Files played fine in WMP on Windows 8.  I hope we all didn't just fall into a DRM punji pit with this upgrade.  I'll keep looking at it.

Dude, your username.  :lol:

8 really is vista 2. No one upgraded from 7 to 8, and everyone wants to upgrade from 8 to 10. People on 7 are going to stay there until their systems are cold and lifeless (or 2020, when support runs out).

You're right I think. But when my Vista machine crapped out Windows 8 is what was out and that's what I got. But I bought a touchscreen set up and have been pretty ok with it. I think touchscreen is the big key though. So I've been on the loser side of windows for a while and am in fact, looking forward to 10! Totally agree with you about the people on 7 though. They are the new XP's :-)

What do people have against Windows 8?

It was designed for touchscreens and sucked unless you are the kind of person who is capable of modifying it. Windows 8.1 helped but there was still too much unnecessary UI. I didn't particularly have a problem getting Windows 8/8.1 the way I wanted it, but it wasn't perfect. 10 seems like a real OS right away. I'm already finding little things about it I like. It's very easy to manipulate. Every right click gives you unexpected options. 

I see they switched the two-finger scroll to the mac-style (up is down and down is up). That's a positive that will take some getting used to.

The look is very nice. It's not forced on you. Subtle in some areas. Animations on this site are much faster. Everything running a tad slow, but that's to be expected immediately after startup of a new OS. I like it a lot so far.

It was designed for touchscreens and sucked unless you are the kind of person who is capable of modifying it. Windows 8.1 helped but there was still too much unnecessary UI. I didn't particularly have a problem getting Windows 8/8.1 the way I wanted it, but it wasn't perfect. 10 seems like a real OS right away. I'm already finding little things about it I like. It's very easy to manipulate. Every right click gives you unexpected options. 

All I did was install Startisback and it returned 8 back to the standard Windows 7 desktop with the same control panel and start button. It even boots directly to desktop so theoretically you could use your comp for months without seeing that eyesore of a touchscreen UI. 

All I did was install Startisback and it returned 8 back to the standard Windows 7 desktop with the same control panel and start button. It even boots directly to desktop so theoretically you could use your comp for months without seeing that eyesore of a touchscreen UI.

I did all that too. But I was annoyed that I had to mod my OS just to get it to work.

No one was sad when Windows ME shuffled off and we won't miss 8 either.

What's awful about it?

I can't stand the Metro UI;  I don't want my OS to feel like it was designed for tablets.

It's filled with bloatware that I'd never use and can't be uninstalled without going into Power Shell and knowing the proper commands to get rid of them.  OneDrive is especially bad for this.

It's filled with, effectively, spyware.  Fortunately, Microsoft allows you to disable much of the data collection, but it's all enabled by default.

Automatic updates are fine; forced automatic updates are not.  Forced automatic updates are even worse when they include faulty drivers, a problem that's already happened on a couple of occasions with Windows 10.

There's a lot of inconsistency since they're trying to blend Metro with the classic UI.  For example, some settings you have to go into the Metro settings to change, others you change from the control panel.

The Start menu is still pathetic.  It's just an interface for the abysmal creation known as live tiles, and an alphabetical list of installed apps.

There's more I could complain about, but these are the aspects that pop to mind immediately.

I can't stand the Metro UI;  I don't want my OS to feel like it was designed for tablets.

It's filled with bloatware that I'd never use and can't be uninstalled without going into Power Shell and knowing the proper commands to get rid of them.  OneDrive is especially bad for this.

It's filled with, effectively, spyware.  Fortunately, Microsoft allows you to disable much of the data collection, but it's all enabled by default.

Automatic updates are fine; forced automatic updates are not.  Forced automatic updates are even worse when they include faulty drivers, a problem that's already happened on a couple of occasions with Windows 10.

There's a lot of inconsistency since they're trying to blend Metro with the classic UI.  For example, some settings you have to go into the Metro settings to change, others you change from the control panel.

The Start menu is still pathetic.  It's just an interface for the abysmal creation known as live tiles, and an alphabetical list of installed apps.

There's more I could complain about, but these are the aspects that pop to mind immediately.

That's why I brought up Startisback. Installing that puts you right back on the Windows 7 desktop. And OneDrive can be disabled.

Not like I'm trying to sell it or anything, but I've been hearing people complain about 8 for quite some time and most don't know about it. I understand the gripes about 8. I couldn't stand it either.

So you're good with it then?

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/31/windows-10-microsoft-faces-criticism-over-privacy-default-settings

Here's an article that raises some concerns about privacy settings in Windows 10.

I haven't upgraded to 10 yet because I don't have a good reason to.  8.1 is a little annoying but not so much that I'll upgrade to something as "green" as 10.

Upgraded my wife's laptop to 10 yesterday from 8.1. Upgraded my Sister-in-law's computer to 8.1 and tried to install 10 but the auto down-loader would fail when it got to 100%. Currently burning a disk to install it on her laptop and then I'll update my Win7 desktop. 

As far as the laptops go I don't see a reason not to upgrade. Its been running pretty well and seems to boot quicker. I also got a Audio Driver warning when it first booted but it didn't affect playback and hasn't appeared again. One issue that I need to look into is the "recent files" list doesn't depopulate files that have been deleted, minor annoyance. 

The desktop is going to be the biggest change as it doesn't have a touchscreen (one of the many reasons it never got 8). I have it set up in the living room as defacto HTPC. We currently use an Xbox360 (even though I have a Xbox1 :-/) and a Media Extender to play files from the PC.

Microsoft in its infinite wisdom has killed Windows Media Center and with that the Media Extender. Making playing media without directly connecting the device to the TV or touching the device they are on (via Play To or similar) frustrating. It wouldn't be an issue but all non-extender solutions I have tried so far prevent anyone using the PC simultaneously without interrupting the playback for the TV. 

Windows 10 is supposed to play nice with the Xbox1 (especially when the Xbox1 switches to 10) so we'll see how that goes. 

I was a Windows warrior for years. I learned and worked with registries, installed additional memory, formatted and reformatted, partitioned drives, removed viruses, etc. I was the old guy who could make it work. I was proud.

Now, I have a Mac. I turn it on and it works, every day, year after year. It talks to my entire house and all of my family's devices.

I was turned.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.