Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

6 hours ago, #freejame said:

Nice! I just bought a PSA .556 to give it a go and I think Im going to be picking up a Walther PDP pretty soon. 

I don't own any handguns. You can't hunt with a handgun in Canada and all of my guns are used for hunting except for my Daisy Red Ryder BB gun!

• 4 months later...

First time out on the kayak for the season.

Was targeting walleyes primarily, but end up with a very mixed bag.

On the water at legal daylight. barey got the 2nd rod set when the first rod fired.  Had regular action for about 90 minutes or so and then the bite just died.

All told I took home 2 walleyes and a 10” perch, but also caught half a dozen smallmouth bass and 4 channel cats.  For a short time it Seemed like everything wanted to take a swipe at the crankbaits I was towing.

I think I paddled about 4 miles today.  That’s plenty for my first outing of the season.  I’m good and tired.

And hopefully back at it again tomorrow AM.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Weave said:

On the water at legal daylight. barey got the 2nd rod set when the first rod fired.  Had regular action for about 90 minutes or so and then the bite just died.

All told I took home 2 walleyes and a 10” perch, but also caught half a dozen smallmouth bass and 4 channel cats.  For a short time it Seemed like everything wanted to take a swipe at the crankbaits I was towing.

I think I paddled about 4 miles today.  That’s plenty for my first outing of the season.  I’m good and tired.

Sounds like a great day, exercise too.

I’m not much of a fisherman.
Got spoiled growing up near lakes where you could only go in by snowmobile in the winter or ATV in the summer. Almost no work on the water to get a shore lunch and then fill your limit for the ride out.

We had tons of fly in outfitters around to access the even better lakes. My uncle was good friends with one of them and once in a while he had to go pick up a group but no one to backfill the cabin. He would call my uncle and say if he could round up 4-5 guys we could go in for 2-3 days (next booking) and all we had to do was pay his fuel. Worked out to like $100 each for awesome fishing and being the only humans within 100 miles.

Anyway, just a long winded story to say that I cannot spend more than 15 minutes fishing nowadays if there is no action. Spoiled.

That and the fact that I was addicted to golf for 20 years limited the fishing.

I put another walleye in the freezer again today.  This one was a big girl.  24” and pushing 5lbs.

Between yesterday and today I’ve probably paddled 12 miles.  

I think the most strenuous thing I am going to do this afternoon is have a cocktail on the deck.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/18/2024 at 1:07 PM, Weave said:

Where did you fish? I finally got started on my kayak fishing journey on Chautauqua. No real success yet. Tons I need to learn, but it feels good to get out and cast.

It’s official. I hate fly fishing. Maybe I would like it more if my eyes were better. But having to swap glasses every time you have tie those tiny little flies onto gossamer thin line sucks.

And the walking! Seems like all you do is walk. Got out on a beautiful stretch of stream yesterday, the Esopus in the Catskills, and it was great to just be out in it. But man, my back is roached today.

I’ll take a kayak with a cooler and a spinning reel any day.

of course, my opinion would probably be completely different had we caught fish.😂

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/21/2024 at 3:37 AM, SwampD said:

It’s official. I hate fly fishing. Maybe I would like it more if my eyes were better. But having to swap glasses every time you have tie those tiny little flies onto gossamer thin line sucks.

And the walking! Seems like all you do is walk. Got out on a beautiful stretch of stream yesterday, the Esopus in the Catskills, and it was great to just be out in it. But man, my back is roached today.

I’ll take a kayak with a cooler and a spinning reel any day.

of course, my opinion would probably be completely different had we caught fish.😂

Flip-down 2X magnifiers are your friend. I've used them for years and doubt I could tie a Palomar knot without them. 

On 5/20/2024 at 8:33 PM, Jävə Keith said:

Where did you fish? I finally got started on my kayak fishing journey on Chautauqua. No real success yet. Tons I need to learn, but it feels good to get out and cast.

Sent you a message.

13 hours ago, irregularly irregular said:

Flip-down 2X magnifiers are your friend. I've used them for years and doubt I could tie a Palomar knot without them. 

😂 I looked into these yesterday.👍🏻

On 5/21/2024 at 7:37 AM, SwampD said:

And the walking! Seems like all you do is walk. 

It's even worse in low light conditions in a lot of canopy cover.

I tried walking a stream with an open beer once.  I wore more of it than I drank.