Not all NHL players have to be exceptional skaters...

LabattBlue

IMO skating ability has become overrated.  In todays clutch and grab game where more often than not there is little flow to the game, how much of a disadvantage is it, if you are not the fastest skater in the NHL?

I'm not saying you want an entire team of guys who skate like they have cement in their skates, but if a guy is talented in other ways, are you really going to kick a player to the curb because he can't skate like the wind?  I am sure there are plenty of examples currently of guys in the NHL who can score and are valuable to their team, but aren't necessarily fleet of foot.  After all, most players have shortcomings and don't possess all skills(shooting, passing, skating, physical play, defensive awareness, etc...).

Two former Sabres come to mind...Dave Andreychuk & Ray Sheppard.

You can't clutch what you can't catch. Ultimately I think the issue is if you're a poor and/or slow skater, the remainder of your hockey-related skills have to be so much higher to compensate for that, that most players just aren't good enough to make up for it. Joe Thornton comes to mind...but how many players can pass like him? I also think that high end skating ability allows for a quicker adjustment to the NHL, and probably the biggest reason why Sam Bennett looked better in limited NHL action than Sam Reinhart.

IMO skating ability has become overrated.  In todays clutch and grab game where more often than not there is little flow to the game, how much of a disadvantage is it, if you are not the fastest skater in the NHL?

I'm not saying you want an entire team of guys who skate like they have cement in their skates, but if a guy is talented in other ways, are you really going to kick a player to the curb because he can't skate like the wind?  I am sure there are plenty of examples currently of guys in the NHL who can score and are valuable to their team, but aren't necessarily fleet of foot.  After all, most players have shortcomings and don't possess all skills(shooting, passing, skating, physical play, defensive awareness, etc...).

Two former Sabres come to mind...Dave Andreychuk & Ray Sheppard.

Just a thought. 

I don't think skating is just speed, but some skaters are just strong on their skates and almost impossible to knock off the puck because of their skating form. 

Dale Hawerchuk was never considered fast.  Andreychuk and Sheppard had great balance - but were never fast. 

Sheppard could get  a shot off while getting punched in the face. 

Just a thought. 

I don't think skating is just speed, but some skaters are just strong on their skates and almost impossible to knock off the puck because of their skating form. 

Dale Hawerchuk was never considered fast.  Andreychuk and Sheppard had great balance - but were never fast. 

Sheppard could get  a shot off while getting punched in the face. 

This discussion placed visions of Phil Esposito camped in front of the net

This is a good topic for discussion.

I agree with what X. says -- there are many facets to skating. Not having top-end speed like, say, Afinegenov [sic, I am sure], is one thing. But, even if you have average speed, how quickly can you get from essentially stopped to moving at your top-end speed? Maybe that's a variation on "quicker than fast."

I think it's relative, your top line players have to be better skaters, because the dmen are better skaters and you need to open up the ice. 

Your lower line players don't need to be all that great

I think you need to ask: who is a great player but doesn't skate well,  either speed or balance?  

I can't really think of any off top of my head. 

A buddy of mine played against the Sabres Alumni in a charity game. He spoke about how outstanding their skating skills were. He mentioned Rob Ray (even old timer overweight Razor) as an example.

In my opinion, even the marginal NHL players have exceptional skating skills.

That's why Happy Gilmore ended up as a golfer.

Look at Zemgus.  In his first season he had mediocre balance.  Everytime he was engaged physically he seemed to fall. Now granted part of this was lower body strength but as his strength improved so did his skating which in turned improved his game.  Ristolainen skates backwards and pivots so well which allows him maintain d-zone coverage, all of that is skating.  Grigorenko has one of the best shots but his skating including his pivots and speed had been bad which in turn delayed his NHL entry.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the term "overrated", but my point stands, a guy with great skills other than skating can still be a really good NHL player.  Can't be a horrible skater, but if he is average at skating, he can still succeed.  

Yes...I do believe a guy like Andreychuk would still be a good goal scorer in the NHL today. How many goals in the NHL are scored off the rush today(where a fast skater would be advantageous) versus a guy like Andreychuk who made a living off of tip-ins, garbage goals around the crease and the PP, all of which do not require great skating skills.

Once again, you can't have a team full of skaters such as this, but I wouldn't be quick to dismiss a guy because of his average skating skills. 

maybe we should list the main skills an NHL players needs and they see where we think skating falls within them.

DUH...Of course every player needs the main skill of being able to skate to play in the NHL.  Thanks for stating the obvious.  :doh:

DUH...Of course every player needs the main skill of being able to skate to play in the NHL.  Thanks for stating the obvious.  :doh:

Read the thread title. The question is do they need to be exceptional (relatively) at it.

I've already listed what I think are more important.

Go have some coffee.  Take a deep breath. Then come back. Also eat a snickers.

I think he meant we should rank the necessary skills in order of importance.

Yes.  

...and skating would be #1, therefore this thread is pointless.

I don't know that, hence the reason for the discussion.

Read the thread title. The question is do they need to be exceptional (relatively) at it.

I've already listed what I think are more important.

Why can't the discussion progress from exceptional skating to how important is skating?

Why can't the discussion progress from exceptional skating to how important is skating?

I guess it depends on the player. Someone with exceptional vision doesn't need to skate as well because he will already be where the puck will be and doesn't need to make up for his two cent brain with his legs.

This is a good topic for discussion.

I agree with what X. says -- there are many facets to skating. Not having top-end speed like, say, Afinegenov [sic, I am sure], is one thing. But, even if you have average speed, how quickly can you get from essentially stopped to moving at your top-end speed? Maybe that's a variation on "quicker than fast."

Agreed.

Guy LaFleur was the best I ever saw at simply starting/stopping/starting again on his skates. He was uncanny at that. That skill alone helped him to find open spaces before anyone could shut them. Kinda like moving without the ball in basketball.

I'm not sure how much top end speed helps in the confined space of a hockey rink.

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.