Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

The Matt Murray situation looks pretty messy heading into next years expansion draft.

Recent reports are that Rutherford feels confident that they can keep both and, worst case, trade Fleury at the deadline. I think that's a bad play. Goalie trades at the deadline are damn near impossible.

Custance says the Jets are dangling 22 looking for LHD and a top-nine forward.

I would think Fowler is of interest there, too.

Edited by Hoss

Yakupov.

Yes, No, and if so whats the price?

My apologies if this is discussed elsewhere in the 124 pages lol

Yes please. I'd give a later 3rd, no idea if that is too much or too little but we have 3 of them...go take a look at 3rd round pick success rates and tell me a 22 year old #1 overall pick with a change in scenery doesn't have a better chance at turning his career around on a young talented team. 

Yes please. I'd give a later 3rd, no idea if that is too much or too little but we have 3 of them...go take a look at 3rd round pick success rates and tell me a 22 year old #1 overall pick with a change in scenery doesn't have a better chance at turning his career around on a young talented team. 

I think this is where I am. I'm hedging my bets that someone will offer up a late 2nd and a middling reclamation project of their own so that EDM can explain it off as a "best for both worlds to change the scenery" and "he has the same possible upside"

Though its likely to be Hodgson/Kassian 2.0

Dreger: Appears to be lots of interest in Florida defenseman Dmitry Kulikov. Nothing close, but worth watching as the day unfolds.

Chris Johnston believes Shattenkirk may be dealt today.

Edited by Hoss

Rumors Doggie Hamilton may be available.  Sounds like tons of D out there on the trade market right now.

??

Shocked. I thought he was the steal of the century last year and that Calgary would be home for a long time.

Has his value dropped to match near what they paid for him or are they seeking to get a return on their minimal investment?

??

Shocked. I thought he was the steal of the century last year and that Calgary would be home for a long time.

Has his value dropped to match near what they paid for him or are they seeking to get a return on their minimal investment?

Hard to say, but I know they were very unhappy with him last season. Still, I'd think they would want to give him a shot under the new coach before doing anything rash.

I would prefer Fowler because, of course, Hamilton is a right shot.

I think the handedness gets way overblown on here. Hamilton/Shattenkirk and Risto can anchor the right side and we can flip Bogo + other pieces for a lefty.

We need talent on the blueline a lot more than we specifically need talent on the left side.

http://espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/insider/post?id=7978

Good stuff from Custance. Says Hampus Lindholm is not going anywhere.

Also says Boston, Buffalo and the Rangers are expected to be the lead on Shattenkirk. Sounds like the Oilers are out because Shattenkirk will not stay there long term. Mentions Arizona but Shattenkirk wants to be on the East coast.

Rangers are trying to move salary. Rick Nash won't accept a trade to Canada.

I've brought some rope, handcuffs and a ski mask :ph34r:

As funny as this was--and it was--it would have been 100x funnier with your avatar from last summer.

Also says Boston, Buffalo and the Rangers are expected to be the lead on Shattenkirk. Sounds like the Oilers are out because Shattenkirk will not stay there long term. Mentions Arizona but Shattenkirk wants to be on the East coast.

Did he say why Nash won't go to Canada?

So what gets it done?

Shoulder shrug emoji.

Pysyk and a 2nd? That's a lowball offer, but there's really no way to know how far out of favor he has fallen and how enthusiastic they are about getting out from under his contract.

...you really have to ask why two different organizations have bailed on a player with so much apparent promise in a such a short period of time.

IMO - teams are usually willing to be patient through a stretch of poor play. For them to be willing to move you out so fast there has to be something else.  Either he's a serious locker room d-bag or there's something else off-ice that's really problematic.

Well, Boston hasn't exactly been a model for good executive-level decision making recently. I also don't think he was as bad in Calgary as some say--he's just not your traditional defensemen, so your old guard get all hyper critical.

So...what if we got Shattenkirk AND Fowler?

I don't think it's impossible. If we do I think we likely don't get too serious on Stamkos, but I think we also move Bogo either in one of the deals or for separate assets.

Also, I forgot to mention one key piece from Custance:

A new deal for Shattenkirk is expected to be 8 years at $6-7M per season.

So...what if we got Shattenkirk AND Fowler?

We'll have no trade assets for the next 3 years :lol:

You're getting me all hot and bothered.

I think the handedness gets way overblown on here. Hamilton/Shattenkirk and Risto can anchor the right side and we can flip Bogo + other pieces for a lefty.

We need talent on the blueline a lot more than we specifically need talent on the left side.

I think the handedness gets way overblown sentiment is way overblown. It matters. I wouldn't be able to name 5 top pair left side D that are right shots. It's all well and good if we can flip Bogo and whoever for a LHD, but that's always easier said than done. I had a big long post a while back detailing that the majority of teams have proper handedness on their pairs, and almost all had proper handedness in their top pair, and most on the second pair, too. 

I'm good with getting Hamilton if LHD is addressed, though, like you proposed. 

And that's mostly okay if Shattenkirk signs an extension. The point of trade assets is to liquefy them at some point, right?

Might hamstring us if we turn into deadline buyers (which is kind of the point). But, particularly if we sign Vesey, I think I'd be okay with it.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

And that's mostly okay if Shattenkirk signs an extension. The point of trade assets is to liquefy them at some point, right?

Would love to add Shattenkirk. 

Might hamstring us if we turn into deadline buyers (which is kind of the point). But, particularly if we sign Vesey, I think he'd be okay with it.

Often it's picks that are dealt in deadline deals luckily, so we should have plenty of ammunition in that form. 

Might hamstring us if we turn into deadline buyers (which is kind of the point). But, particularly if we sign Vesey, I think I'd be okay with it.

I think we'd still have plenty. We'll have future picks and draft picks from this year and recent years to play with.

I'm sorry but what is being thrown out here for Fowler is way too much. I'd be willing to stay put if Anaheim really wants our first, some players, and a prospect. You have to love a player to give up that much, which I don't think from GMTM all the way down to us that any of us do.

I think we'd still have plenty. We'll have future picks and draft picks from this year and recent years to play with.

True, but if Chicago has taught us anything, having those guys ready to step in as cheap help is important to sustaining a lengthy contention window. Again, I think we'd be okay and I'd go for it, just putting other considerations out there.

I'm sorry but what is being thrown out here for Fowler is way too much. I'd be willing to stay put if Anaheim really wants our first, some players, and a prospect. You have to love a player to give up that much, which I don't think from GMTM all the way down to us that any of us do.

As someone who is also very reluctant to give up #8, the question has to be asked: how are you going to add a top-4 LHD cheaper? Or, if you are okay with the price but not the player, what team is looking to trade a LHD who is clearly better than Fowler?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.