Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Duff interview with Dreger

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=1018&id=830660&lang=en

@FAN590: Boston #Bruins acquire 2016 sixth round pick from the Colorado #Avalanche in exchange for rights to pending UFA Carl Soderberg. #NHL

Maybe stating the obvious, but this move makes me believe O'Reilly is on his way out

Edited by LabattBlue

You are focusing only on one of many things GMTM said. He also said that Bylsma is a teacher and can be patient with young talent, implying the keystone pieces will be playing here rather than in the A. He also said that you build through the draft. He also said that that he does not expect to compete for a PO spot next year. People are putting there own desire to be a miracle team next year ahead of the more likely prospect letting young players develop before you move them. Not you personally but many posters clamoring for trades.

So, what part of my point of view are you disagreeing with?

So, what part of my point of view are you disagreeing with?

The implied notion that a trade for a known ceiling helps a rebuild much less expedites it. Maturation of the new kids and acquisitions will take some time and that may be incongruent with trading those assets now. I do not advocate falling in love with prospects but would rather deal from a surplus. At rw, lw rd and goaltender the surplus isnt there.  A trade may simply move the hole and not speed up anything. Again I used your comment as illustration of a popular belief that we can accelerate a process at a point where it may not benefit the long term goal. 

I will be disappointed if we trade 31 and or 51 for Talbot.

I fixed your post.

I wouldn't be disappointed w/ a 51 going for Talbot. He'll provide quality goaltending, and he's young enough to grow w/ the team. When the Sabres begin to hit full stride in the next few years he'll only be 30 or 31. This also provides Murray time to find a potential goaltender. Buffalo has Ullmark and Johansson. Have hopes one of them pan out. 

Edited by Thanes16

The implied notion that a trade for a known ceiling helps a rebuild much less expedites it. Maturation of the new kids and acquisitions will take some time and that may be incongruent with trading those assets now. I do not advocate falling in love with prospects but would rather deal from a surplus. At rw, lw rd and goaltender the surplus isnt there.  A trade may simply move the hole and not speed up anything. Again I used your comment as illustration of a popular belief that we can accelerate a process at a point where it may not benefit the long term goal. 

How can trading an unknown, undeveloped prospect for a known, already developed player not expedite a rebuild?  Seems self evident to me.

I think we'd all rather deal from surplus.  I'd much rather move an LW, as that seems to be our deepest position after center, but we limit ourselves only to teams looking for LW's.  

Please, please, please, if we are going to end up with ROR, let Colorado need LW's.

How can trading an unknown, undeveloped prospect for a known, already developed player not expedite a rebuild?  Seems self evident to me.

I think we'd all rather deal from surplus.  I'd much rather move an LW, as that seems to be our deepest position after center, but we limit ourselves only to teams looking for LW's.  

Please, please, please, if we are going to end up with ROR, let Colorado need LW's.

They only have 7 lw in their prospect pool but only 3 rw.  They would however need a 2nd line lw if they dealt ROR as they basically have Landeskog and thats it.  Perhaps a package of Foligno, Grigorenko and #31 would move them?  Again though how do we feel about 7.5mil for ROR?

They only have 7 lw in their prospect pool but only 3 rw.  They would however need a 2nd line lw if they dealt ROR as they basically have Landeskog and thats it.  Perhaps a package of Foligno, Grigorenko and #31 would move them?  Again though how do we feel about 7.5mil for ROR?

I'm ambivalent about ROR in general.  Mostly because I'd rather we focus on a #2 RW.  But if he can improve the team I'm not turning my nose up at him.  he's def the right age.  If that is the going rate for a guy of his caliber, pony up I guess.

He's holding it together superbly now, but what are the odds that Liger's meltdown when Murray overpays for O'Reilly rivals this Lindy masterpiece:

Actually what I will find fun is how letdown people are by ROR after he plays 10 or 20 games.  As for my reaction, if he trades Zemgus or Risto... well we will cross that bridge if we come to it.

They only have 7 lw in their prospect pool but only 3 rw. They would however need a 2nd line lw if they dealt ROR as they basically have Landeskog and thats it. Perhaps a package of Foligno, Grigorenko and #31 would move them? Again though how do we feel about 7.5mil for ROR?

I would be ok with 21 in that package

He's holding it together superbly now, but what are the odds that Liger's meltdown when Murray overpays for O'Reilly rivals this Lindy masterpiece:

It's too bad we never won a cup with Lindy. Maybe it's because he's more or less the only coach I've known during my lifetime, but I always loved the guy. 

Actually what I will find fun is how letdown people are by ROR after he plays 10 or 20 games.  As for my reaction, if he trades Zemgus or Risto... well we will cross that bridge if we come to it.

The allure of ROR, to me at least, is his defensive game. The fact that he can put up points is a bonus. If he's utilized heavily in the d zone, I could see a lot of casual fans complaining about him the second any piece in the deal starts to produce. Unless he suddenly becomes a shell of the player he is in his own zone, I'm not sure how he could disappoint (at least not to the people on the board. WGR and their callers on the other hand...)

The Sabres received permission to talk with Rangers goalie Cam Talbot to see if he'd be open to coming to Buffalo, says @FriedgeHNIC

I'm not sure I like this. Unless the price has greatly dropped, I'll be disappointed.

It's too bad we never won a cup with Lindy. Maybe it's because he's more or less the only coach I've known during my lifetime, but I always loved the guy. 

The allure of ROR, to me at least, is his defensive game. The fact that he can put up points is a bonus. If he's utilized heavily in the d zone, I could see a lot of casual fans complaining about him the second any piece in the deal starts to produce. Unless he suddenly becomes a shell of the player he is in his own zone, I'm not sure how he could disappoint (at least not to the people on the board. WGR and their callers on the other hand...)

I'm not sure I like this. Unless the price has greatly dropped, I'll be disappointed.

We broke down his defensive zone starts and corsi and he was very average.  

We broke down his defensive zone starts and corsi and he was very average.  

What thread? I'm no fancy stat expert, but from what I can tell he's solid in his own end. I am seeing what you mean by his C/60 and F/60 being negative the last two seasons, but how much of that has to do with the Avs poor defense?

What thread? I'm no fancy stat expert, but from what I can tell he's solid in his own end. I am seeing what you mean by his C/60 and F/60 being negative the last two seasons, but how much of that has to do with the Avs poor defense?

The ROR thread has pages of discussion and breakdown.  

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23375-the-ryan-oreilly-super-thread-2015/?p=693269

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.