Making SabreSpace more friendly to new posters

nfreeman

Don't be afraid to post; you might add a point that noone's thought of. Or one of your thoughts might lead to someone else coming up with a gem.

There are some real smart people here. I don't presume to know much about salary caps or financial structures or front office finagling either.  But I don't know if you really need to know these things although some people here are sticklers about that. I've been following the team since the beginning though and still play hockey and am passionate about the sport and like to share ideas. Warning, there are people like d4force and Andrew Amerk or whatever he calls himself these days, who try to make you feel like your ideas are idiotic or whatever and that starts to ruin the experience of sharing or bouncing ideas off people. There's no excuse to insult people here…but people do it anyway because they are small. But never mind them.

It's not my fault you're a moron. 

You know what may be intimidating? The fact that you don't have a grace period after posting something and before the little "edited by..." tag is added.

First off, the stupid thing is placed on the next available line and it messes up the formatting of the post unless you remember to return a few lines at the end.

But, with devices being what they are, it's pretty easy these days to make an error in your post that needs correcting. Except, no one wants to look foolish and that little "edited by..." tag may very well make noobs think they look foolish.

A couple of suggestions to welcome new posters - start some social threads.  Maybe even move them into a separate Fun and Games forum alongside Questions and Answers. Social/fun threads I've seen on other forums:

- Post a lie about the person above you (i.e., you have to say something about the last poster to post in a thread, but it CAN'T be true - "Is Cody Hodgson's love child"  "Buried Jimmy Hoffa under Harbor Center"... that sort of thing.  It's basically a way to blow off steam and have a good time)...

Apparently I've unleashed a monster! Some of the lies are outstanding.  There are a lot of clever posters on this forum.

I've been a long time lurker and just recently started to post.

I was very passionate about the situation concerning the tank and was openly critical of GMTM and Pegula for not taking more overt action during the last month.

I was shocked at some of the accusations several posters threw my way -- for some reason they accused me of being another poster that reemerged under a different name, some called me a troll and others threatened to block me (obviously those that did that won't see this post) -- for some bizarre reason one poster kept posting pictures of bunnies ?? -- not sure what that was about, weird, but must be an inside joke

To be honest, it turned me off from posting and to certain extent from reading this forum.

I belong to a couple other forums, I've never been blocked, I've never been called a troll and along the way over past years I've been involved in some very controversial and heated discussions, so not sure why this forum was different ? ---

I think sabre space tends to be dominated by fewer voices than the other forums I'm on, which might simply be a membership issue or could be a result of the squeaky wheels drowning out everyone else thoughts ---

Either way, I applaud the OP for asking the question and for our opinions as silent members, reading the responses I plan to give the forum another shot and I'll try to temper my passion as well

After your first few posts I was one that blocked you.

After reading the post above and other posts in this thread I unblocked you.

I realize that it's been some time, but welcome to the board.

-----

I believe that there is an initial time period for new posters to learn the ways of this board.  It certainly was for me, especially since I am not a member of any other Internet board.

Many of my initial posts were not very well thought out and it lead to some pretty bad exchanges.  One particular exchange with Korab earned me a trolling warning and a string of posting a lot about nothing and another warning and short-term time out, which I deserved.

I believe I have matured in my postings as I passed through this learning curve.  My hockey knowledge is not as astute as many here, but I can and do add to the discussion when I can.  Many threads here are not for hockey discussions and I enjoy reading and often posting in those.

So, bottom line for new posters, IMO, is to stick it out and post with respect and you will be fine.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

On the prior page, nfreeman did his multi quote comment thing. "Good stuff" and "keep it coming". I remember being new here. I read daily, but posted rarely. It wasn't so much that I was intimidated as I had such great respect for the flow that I didn't want to be the guy swimming upstream and disturbing things.

One day, I got a "good stuff". It made my day. I could write and a "core guy" appreciated it.

To the core: You're big ships that cast wide wakes. Little acknowledgments, not gratuitous, go a long way.

Awesome post.

I fore one consider you part of "the core" of SabreSpace.

Awesome post.

You and Neo are part of the life core for sure. Even if the Sabres stink, you guys always have a cleansed lesson to teach even if you've seen a lot of bad stuff go down. This is the reason I stick around. You can learn much more from here about life than hockey.

You and Neo are part of the life core for sure. Even if the Sabres stink, you guys always have a cleansed lesson to teach even if you've seen a lot of bad stuff go down. This is the reason I stick around. You can learn much more from here about life than hockey.

Thanks.

I think of you in the same way.  

I agree, one can learn a lot on here other than hockey stuff.

I can assure you this opinion is steeped in profound ignorance. The rest of us should be more worried about those who think this way than the reverse.

Because the world is so perfect run by adults who grew up with the opposite. :P (not the right place for this)

What's the name of this thread again?  You see, this is why people lurk.  The sense of entitlement is strong in both of you.  A light hearted response to someone else's thought/joke gets driven through the zamboni doors.  Did I say take your kid down to Wal-Mart and beat them?  I'm not that guy.  Consequences for poor decisions on the other hand (take the car keys, grounding, detention, two minutes, no money, extra work, apologies,etc.) are all good.  The "trophy" could be anything in life.  As for not being the right place, is this not where you were talking about a "like" button?  What?  You can only read what I wrote and not what I said?  A mod should be able to see through the trees.  Why so serious?

I'm curious as to:

- how often new posters get this impression (i.e. do most new posters feel this way, or just a few, but the ones who do feel this way are the ones who bother to speak up about it);

- whether this board is different from other message boards in that respect;

- if we do come across as unwelcoming, what can we do to remedy this?

All thoughts appreciated.

First time poster, long time lurker. 

This board IS different from other sports boards because hockey is so different from other sports. Regular posters are on here talking about 18 year old draft-able kids who play different Canadian junior leagues, US college players, and European leagues. (Should we get the Russian goalie from a league I've never heard of, or is the undersized defenseman who can qb our power play the better deal?) I enjoy the scouting reports you all give. I have no idea if you are right or wrong. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the discussion.  Over the last 4 drafts now, this is where I go to learn about the kids we draft. But I cannot add to the discussion, because I got nothin'. 

The other reason I don't post is because by the time I read a topic and actually do have something to add, some one beats me to it. That's fine, the point was made. 

I do see a lot of give and take from the regular posters here, and by and large, I enjoy reading the banter. I 'get' how the board works. Truthfully, I think this board is pretty well self managed by the mods and regulars. 

As was pointed out earlier, some people use the anonymity of message boards to act in a way that they would never do face to face. I go waaaay back to the early days of the franchise. So being older I don't feel the need for name calling if someone posts something I disagree with. Nor, do I feel the need to chime in with an emoticon if some one says something brilliant. It's not who I am. But I do sit back, read every page of thread that intrigues me, and smile a lot. 

​Thanks for asking. Now where can I get a chicken hat, and is it too late for a Russian name? I really wanted to use Ivan Freezeyourassov!

That would have been a solid Russian name 2_minutes, and welcome to the board!  :beer:

I like all of the new posters coming out in this thread. It cracks me up to think there are so many lurkers watching all of us regulars maybe on a daily basis. I wonder how much, if at all, we impact a lurker's day. Do we have fans, enemies? Is there some lurker out there who just hates the hell out of us based on our discussions on here, and we have no clue? 

Welcome to the board 2m4r. Don't worry if a point has already been made... If you think it's a good point it's worth making more than once or agreeing with the other poster and posting your thoughts. 

Also, I'm glad you come here for draft talk. We've got quite a few knowledgeable guys. Liger is fantastic, and I always look forward to his info (and he'll make sure to let you know when what he's saying is a hunch instead of an actual analysis). rakish has a system that he uses to determine the viability of prospects. The system seems to produce some impressively accurate results on some guys.

I try to add, but I haven't been able to get into prospects as much this year due to graduation and my job, but I will add more as it gets closer.

Again, welcome.

First time poster, long time lurker. 

This board IS different from other sports boards because hockey is so different from other sports. Regular posters are on here talking about 18 year old draft-able kids who play different Canadian junior leagues, US college players, and European leagues. (Should we get the Russian goalie from a league I've never heard of, or is the undersized defenseman who can qb our power play the better deal?) I enjoy the scouting reports you all give. I have no idea if you are right or wrong. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the discussion.  Over the last 4 drafts now, this is where I go to learn about the kids we draft. But I cannot add to the discussion, because I got nothin'. 

The other reason I don't post is because by the time I read a topic and actually do have something to add, some one beats me to it. That's fine, the point was made. 

I do see a lot of give and take from the regular posters here, and by and large, I enjoy reading the banter. I 'get' how the board works. Truthfully, I think this board is pretty well self managed by the mods and regulars. 

As was pointed out earlier, some people use the anonymity of message boards to act in a way that they would never do face to face. I go waaaay back to the early days of the franchise. So being older I don't feel the need for name calling if someone posts something I disagree with. Nor, do I feel the need to chime in with an emoticon if some one says something brilliant. It's not who I am. But I do sit back, read every page of thread that intrigues me, and smile a lot. 

​Thanks for asking. Now where can I get a chicken hat, and is it too late for a Russian name? I really wanted to use Ivan Freezeyourassov!

Great avatar!

Awesome post.

I'm glad you're here. Our memories are the similar and we share a Sabres chronology. You were one of the first, if not THE first, to engage me as a human being. The Clash! I remember taking a picture, in Paris, of an old Clash poster to share with you on this board. My daughter asked me why I was taking the picture. We were walking along the Seine and the Eiffel Tower was in the distance. "It's for a friend I've yet to meet", I told her. You're humanity in every post. I've learned from you and often applauded your grace as you comfortably, confidently, teach us all about a world we know little about. Relevant here? Yes. You helped me find my legs.

You are one of the first posters I noticed enough to look for. On my first visit, you were engaged in some back and forth with Chz. I jumped topics, looking for you. I found a mind that was a three ring circus of activity! You pushed boundaries I hadn't even noticed existed. I saw you as a Yatzee cup full of dice. While others were posting, I could hear you shaking the cup while I waited to see what you'd eventually roll out. You dissected horses and linebackers like you were a veterinarian and an orthopedic surgeon. Your Bylsma thread is one of my all time favorites. You made an introduction and submitted a proposal. After that, one by one, you addressed detractors and made point after point. We watched a tide turn.

Awesome post.

post-1462-0-49870700-1433630426_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neo

New posters should be called prospects, just a thought.

Would you overvalue you them in trade offers to HFBoards? :P (I love you Wookie, you're one of the few that isn't afraid to discuss trade proposals from nowhere which I find entertaining).

I'm glad you're here. Our memories are the similar and we share a Sabres chronology. You were one of the first, if not THE first, to engage me as a human being. The Clash! I remember taking a picture, in Paris, of an old Clash poster to share with you on this board. My daughter asked me why I was taking the picture. We were walking along the Seine and the Eiffel Tower was in the distance. "It's for a friend I've yet to meet", I told her. You're humanity in every post. I've learned from you and often applauded your grace as you comfortably, confidently, teach us all about a world we know little about. Relevant here? Yes. You helped my find my legs.

You are one of the first posters I noticed enough to look for. On my first visit, you were engaged in some back and forth with Chz. I jumped topics, looking for you. I found a mind that was a three ring circus of activity! You pushed boundaries I hadn't even noticed existed. I saw you as a Yatzee cup full of dice. While others were posting, I could hear you shaking the cup while I waited to see what you'd eventually roll out. You dissected horses and linebackers like you were a veterinarian and an orthopedic surgeon. Your Bylsma thread is one of my all time favorites. You made an introduction and submitted a proposal. After that, one by one, you addressed detractors and made point after point. We watched a tide turn.

Neo narrates movies... And we're not in the post a lie about the poster above you thread. He really seems to be.

I'm glad you're here. Our memories are the similar and we share a Sabres chronology. You were one of the first, if not THE first, to engage me as a human being. The Clash! I remember taking a picture, in Paris, of an old Clash poster to share with you on this board. My daughter asked me why I was taking the picture. We were walking along the Seine and the Eiffel Tower was in the distance. "It's for a friend I've yet to meet", I told her. You're humanity in every post. I've learned from you and often applauded your grace as you comfortably, confidently, teach us all about a world we know little about. Relevant here? Yes. You helped my find my legs.

Perhaps my coolest moment in a not-very-cool life was seeing the Clash at UB in 1984. 

Quick top 5 Clash songs:

1.  Complete Control

2.  Somebody got Murdered

3.  Train in Vain

4.  Rudy Can't Fail

5.  Death or Glory

...but there are dozens of other worthy contenders.

Perhaps my coolest moment in a not-very-cool life was seeing the Clash at UB in 1984. 

Quick top 5 Clash songs:

1.  Complete Control

2.  Somebody got Murdered

3.  Train in Vain

4.  Rudy Can't Fail

5.  Death or Glory

...but there are dozens of other worthy contenders.

Very cool. 

I never saw the Clash live. A great disappointment for me. The only band that mattered. 

Sorry, I'm the only one who gets a chicken hat on this forum.

It cracks me up to think there are so many lurkers watching all of us regulars maybe on a daily basis

Kinda like the Truman Show.

/looks over shoulder

Would you overvalue you them in trade offers to HFBoards? :P (I love you Wookie, you're one of the few that isn't afraid to discuss trade proposals from nowhere which I find entertaining).

I wonder if we could legitimately use new posters as trade bait on the market?  ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.