Making SabreSpace more friendly to new posters

nfreeman

This thread seems to have inspired a few lurkers to post a bit. I like it. As long as none of them come in with a username related to a legendary Czech Goalie but go with a hockey player wearing a Team USA jersey... Oh wait.

;)

I have read many posts in this thread.  Some have been from posters with whom I share much history.  Some have been from posters with whom I share no history.  I liken it to a hobo campfire.

You may not think of yourself as a hobo.  I've got a wife and kids!  But there's a fire.  We gather around.  I don't see any wife and kids here.  Where's your precious wife and kids?  Not here.  At all.

You want to know how to fit into a hobo campfire?  Just wait for the biggest baddest hobo to get too drunk.  Then beat the out of him.  He'll wake up wondering what the happened.

You'll have a place at the hobo campfire, that way.  Be sure to apologize in a threatening way.  "Sorry Charlie for whooping your ass last night.  I was angry at the wife and kids."

I know that I spent a good 2 years lurking and reading before my first post back in 2006. I used to use this place for Sabres news and to get the pulse of the fanbase. Being around in the shadows for that long meant I already understood and knew the 'inside jokes' around here so it wasn't so intimidating.

Another point is that most of the major voices here are very knowledgeable and my uninformed opinion (back then) felt stupid to share when there were some highly detailed and in-depth points being made.

I don't post everyday now because most of the time by the time I have read the thread my point has been made by another poster with more time on their hands. I would say that is a strength rather than a weakness around here.

This describes me pretty well, too.  I forget when I originally joined, but I almost exclusively lurked for the first couple of years before I started posting regularly.  Even now I may not post as often (especially with the team being what it was the last two years) and more in the OT threads, but I still read almost daily and enjoy learning from everyone here about news, insight into players and coaches, etc.  Good stuff all around.

That's always an option.

I usually add a few hyphens to separate posts I didn't intend to go together, like this:

---------------

I think that or an extra couple line spaces help make it clear the posts are unrelated.  I do like the merging in GDTs when the posts more often are just running commentary on the game itself.

On the prior page, nfreeman did his multi quote comment thing. "Good stuff" and "keep it coming". I remember being new here. I read daily, but posted rarely. It wasn't so much that I was intimidated as I had such great respect for the flow that I didn't want to be the guy swimming upstream and disturbing things.

One day, I got a "good stuff". It made my day. I could write and a "core guy" appreciated it.

To the core: You're big ships that cast wide wakes. Little acknowledgments, not gratuitous, go a long way.

Absolutely.

This post is so good I wish I could lick it.

:lol:

Edited by biodork

I have read many posts in this thread.  Some have been from posters with whom I share much history.  Some have been from posters with whom I share no history.  I liken it to a hobo campfire.

You may not think of yourself as a hobo.  I've got a wife and kids!  But there's a fire.  We gather around.  I don't see any wife and kids here.  Where's your precious wife and kids?  Not here.  At all.

You want to know how to fit into a hobo campfire?  Just wait for the biggest baddest hobo to get too drunk.  Then beat the ###### out of him.  He'll wake up wondering what the ###### happened.

You'll have a place at the hobo campfire, that way.  Be sure to apologize in a threatening way.  "Sorry Charlie for whooping your ass last night.  I was angry at the wife and kids."

You may tell yourself, this is not my beautiful house, you may tell yourself, this is not my beautiful wife...

i guess i'll use this opportunity to finally make my first post and introduce myself... i've been a member here for a little over three years and come here daily... (in fact, i spent far too much time here some days). been tempted many times to post, but i tend to make it a point to read through entire threads (barring the ones which are prohibitively expansive) usually to find the point i wanted to make has already been made. (and subsequently expounded upon)... i've never felt intimidated to post,  i fact, i find this board to be an exceptional source of information. i can't say i'll post very often but will make it a point to do so if the urge arises down the road...

Brand new to the boards and haven't really been lurking that long. Admittedly, I'm a much more knowledgeable and vocal Bills fan. I've been following the Sabres section in the official Bills message board for the past 3 years or so and I decided to expand upon that once I found this forum. I followed the Sabres casually since 2008 or so, and since Terry purchased the Sabres I have paid closer attention to the team (and hockey in general). I will probably keep lurking for the most part unless I have questions to ask board members (I plan on making this a learning experience for the most part until I have enough knowledge to confidently share in return). Although, if anyone is looking for a good Bills conversation I will probably be pretty active in that thread. 

Welcome!  :beer:

Now grab a beer, turn on the Cup game, and join us in that thread. 

So how long do we keep herding in the noobs with all these promises of mercy and unicorns before we reveal the hazing process?

I say we let them enjoy the barbecue first. They've been out there alone for a long time. Seems the decent thing to do. I'm so excited! They all look so juicy, despite the dehydration!

And a hearty welcome to the noobs and lurkers who've started to come out of the shadows!  Please stick around; this place is (usually) great.

It's always great when you're posting!

This thread seems to have inspired a few lurkers to post a bit. I like it. As long as none of them come in with a username related to a legendary Czech Goalie but go with a hockey player wearing a Team USA jersey... Oh wait.

;)

Ha!! I knew I would get flak for that. Just threw in the picture as a placeholder before I knew what my member name would be. Don't worry, a change in picture is necessary

Welcome!  :beer:

Now grab a beer, turn on the Cup game, and join us in that thread. 

Will do! Although I am thinking a glass of whisky will be the drink of choice tonight

Ha!! I knew I would get flak for that. Just threw in the picture as a placeholder before I knew what my member name would be. Don't worry, a change in picture is necessary

Will do! Although I am thinking a glass of whisky will be the drink of choice tonight

See, this is why people should post more.  :thumbsup:

We got a thread for that!

And I hope you're drinking strait whiskey, and these ice cubes are gonna make the difference.

And if its not straight?  Not that there is anything wrong with that!

Think of our initial welcomes as a border fence, and the long time posters are the snipers positioned in the towers. Some approach the gates with their hands up, coming in leave, and are admitted with minimal fanfare. Others are smart, but shy, and tunnel under the fence, and transition smoothly into their new land. A few brave lads try to charge the gates and lob grenades at the snipers on their way, taking many bullets. And then you have what Hoss did...still not quite sure how he survived it. Stuff of legend, I tell ya.

Bottom line is we could probably do a better job of lowering the border fence a bit, but I think new posters also bear some responsibility to not start lobbing grenades the second they register.

I love this imagery so, so much.

It's always great when you're posting!

:wub:

Straight. 1 ice cube. I'll continue this in the proper thread. I don't want to completely derail the first thread I participate in

Weave beat me to it, and good man.

I love the idea of a pinned thread with tips for new members, I imagine the ranks of Sabre Space will be growing as the the team starts to win over the next few seasons

OK -- there seems to be a fair amount of support for this idea. If anyone has any suggestions for items that would go in such a thread, please post them here. I will consolidate everything into the new thread and then lock it, so it doesn't turn into a bloodbath of a##-grabbing, Russian nicknames and taxicab confessions.

Thanks.

OK -- there seems to be a fair amount of support for this idea. If anyone has any suggestions for items that would go in such a thread, please post them here. I will consolidate everything into the new thread and then lock it, so it doesn't turn into a bloodbath of a##-grabbing, Russian nicknames and taxicab confessions.

Thanks.

I like this idea as well. For inclusion items:

- a list of the mods

- suggestions on when to (or not to) start a new thread?

- maybe a quick overview of the regular threads and their purposes (GDTs, trade deadline, free agency, etc)?

Could we include a video of a bloodied Mike Peca telling the new posters to "get back out there and post, I don't care if your feelings are hurt."

Off Topic...but I laughed out loud at the intro to the Cup tonight on NBC. One of the Lightning said, "The Stanley Cup is the ultimate....more important than your wedding day."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.