Sabres Cap Situation Sticky Again Next Season- Youth vs. Cap Floor

dejeanneret

And if Murray thinks he's already hit his ceiling? And he's the price for Ryan O'Reilly?

Young guys for more proven talent that will hurt.

but why trade Ryan O'Reilly junior plus for Ryan O'Reilly?  Zemgus has a lot of the same skill set and clearly hasn't reached his ceiling. He is younger and I would argue a more tenacious player than O'Reilly.  I just can't think of scenario where trading Zemgus helps us.

Edited by LGR4GM

but why trade Ryan O'Reilly junior plus for Ryan O'Reilly?  Zemgus has a lot of the same skill set and clearly hasn't reached his ceiling. He is younger and I would argue a more tenacious player than O'Reilly.  I just can't think of scenario where trading Zemgus helps us.

I'm not advocating the trade. I'm saying there is a distinct possibility that Tim MUrray thinks less of Zemgus and more of O'Reilly than you do.

Interesting. Zaddy?

I've already made my peace with GMTM moving him.  I can see Zadorov having a wide ceiling - anywhere from 1st pairing 7th D over the long haul.  I'm okay with sticking with him to see what pans out, but if he's gone, he's gone and I'm not looking back.

Don't make me come down there.

Seriously, I could see where Lindback is the young up-and-comer that backs up Niemi.  But I could see any of a number of other goalies doing that as well.

I've already made my peace with GMTM moving him.  I can see Zadorov having a wide ceiling - anywhere from 1st pairing 7th D over the long haul.  I'm okay with sticking with him to see what pans out, but if he's gone, he's gone and I'm not looking back.

Seriously, I could see where Lindback is the young up-and-comer that backs up Niemi.  But I could see any of a number of other goalies doing that as well.

My problem isn't with Lindbackup.  He's fine.  You mention Stafford one more time, though, and IT'S ON.

We know that he doesn't disappear in April and May, but does he have enough left in the tank?  Turns 34 in October.

Thank you.  I think you just provided the first ever moment in my life where someone questioned how much gas was left in the tank of a guy who is younger than me.  I expect there to be an AARP card waiting in the mail for me later today.

We know that he doesn't disappear in April and May, but does he have enough left in the tank?  Turns 34 in October.

I don't think there is a better veteran RW on the market. He'd have the respect of every kid on the room. No Stanley cup next year, but I'd like him in the Sabres culture.

I don't think there is a better veteran RW on the market. He'd have the respect of every kid on the room. No Stanley cup next year, but I'd like him in the Sabres culture.

Well having on your team definitely beats a sharp stick in the eye. ;)

And even if we did overpay him, his contract would likely end right around the time we have to start worrying about fitting Jack and Samwise under the cap.

Thank you.  I think you just provided the first ever moment in my life where someone questioned how much gas was left in the tank of a guy who is younger than me.  I expect there to be an AARP card waiting in the mail for me later today.

I don't think shrader has enough left in the tank to keep posting like this.  We know he's a great wet blanket in all situations, but he's sooooooo ooooooooold.

Ah, the fond memories come rushing back of claims that Armia is better than Bobby Ryan and that we don't need Shea Weber because we have Myers...

But... but... we don't really know the offseason plan, do we? The plan being mentioned here — just sign some washups to get to the floor — is so 2014. Shouldn't we be aiming a little higher this time, as in actually building a team?

I agree

I believe last year's plan was just to sign big contracts to get us to the floor.  This year will be different.  I think the Sabres will be more active with trades, and their acquisitions will be younger with more focus on the future than the short term.  No more signing 30+ guys past their prime just to put "character" guys in the locker room.  Honestly, I don't see Gionta on this team past next season.  Unless his scoring increases drastically $4 mill is too much to pay for a 3rd liner. 

I think OReilly is in the mix at $6 mil and 24 years old.  Those are the perfect contracts for Murray to take on.  Problem is we don't need more left wingers or centers unless one is given up.  If so, who?  It was rumored Grigorenko and Zadorov last season.  That still leaves us with glut at LW and C.

I think Goalie is a perfect spot to load up salary since we only have Chad Johnson. 

Right wing as well.  Again, they have to be guys 27 or below with great years still ahead of them.  Stewart and Frolik via free agency and Lucic via trade are examples of players that can be huge contributors for an entire 5 year contract.  I would love to have Tarasenko, but as an RFA we'd have to give up multiple first round picks just to get him.  With RW being so thin in FA for young talented players I'm thinking it's more likely an addition will come via trade.

Bottom line we have to get more bang for our buck this year.  Easier said than done.

With that being said, I have complete confidence that Murray is up to the task.  He hasn't done us wrong yet, and I know he is completely prepared and already has his course of action mapped out for this off season. 

should be fun

I agree

I believe last year's plan was just to sign big contracts to get us to the floor.  This year will be different.  I think the Sabres will be more active with trades, and their acquisitions will be younger with more focus on the future than the short term.  No more signing 30+ guys past their prime just to put "character" guys in the locker room.  Honestly, I don't see Gionta on this team past next season.  Unless his scoring increases drastically $4 mill is too much to pay for a 3rd liner. 

I think OReilly is in the mix at $6 mil and 24 years old.  Those are the perfect contracts for Murray to take on.  Problem is we don't need more left wingers or centers unless one is given up.  If so, who?  It was rumored Grigorenko and Zadorov last season.  That still leaves us with glut at LW and C.

I think Goalie is a perfect spot to load up salary since we only have Chad Johnson. 

Right wing as well.  Again, they have to be guys 27 or below with great years still ahead of them.  Stewart and Frolik via free agency and Lucic via trade are examples of players that can be huge contributors for an entire 5 year contract.  I would love to have Tarasenko, but as an RFA we'd have to give up multiple first round picks just to get him.  With RW being so thin in FA for young talented players I'm thinking it's more likely an addition will come via trade.

Bottom line we have to get more bang for our buck this year.  Easier said than done.

With that being said, I have complete confidence that Murray is up to the task.  He hasn't done us wrong yet, and I know he is completely prepared and already has his course of action mapped out for this off season. 

should be fun

Isn't Lucic a LW? As was discussed in the other thread, if he were a RW he'd be intriguing. As a LW, I'm not sure you give up much with the Sabres current list of lefties.

Ah, the fond memories come rushing back of claims that Armia is better than Bobby Ryan and that we don't need Shea Weber because we have Myers...

I will own up to the first one.  I don't remember the Myers v Weber one. In my defense I have grown to understand hockey and our prospects better since the 2012 draft.  

So we have 925k for Sammy. I am assuming something like 3.75mil for Eichel (is that the max entry limit?).  You need a starting GT so that's 4-6mil depending on what you want to do but let's say 4. You need a RW, taht's another 4mil.  You need a defender which could range from 3mil to 6 or 7mil (Sekera for instance) so adding 3 players easily puts me at 11million without Eichel, Reinhart, Pysyk, Grigorenko.  

Like GMTM once said, "I'm not concerned about getting to the cap floor."

Why, exactly, would the 2014 2nd overall pick get $925,000...and the 2015 2nd overall pick get $3.75 million? That makes absolutely no sense.

As for Chris Stewart? I sure hope there is a better plan than that. He hasn't been good the last 5 years, why would he be good the next 5 years?

Ryan O'Reilly and Tyler Toffoli are my top targets. That is who I want the most. RFA's and trades are the best chance at improving this team this summer.

Kane - Eichel - Toffoli/Ennis

O'Reilly - Reinhart - Ennis/Toffoli

That's an awesome top-6 IMO...but I don't know where to put Moulson? Maybe Moulson - Girgensons - Gionta for the 3rd line? (Just rather have Foligno at LW3.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

Why, exactly, would the 2014 2nd overall pick get $925,000...and the 2015 2nd overall pick get $3.75 million? That makes absolutely no sense.

The salary is capped at $925,000, but performance bonuses worth millions are built into rookie contracts.

As for Chris Stewart? I sure hope there is a better plan than that. He hasn't been good the last 5 years, why would he be good the next 5 years?

Ryan O'Reilly and Tyler Toffoli are my top targets. That is who I want the most. RFA's and trades are the best chance at improving this team this summer.

Kane - Eichel - Toffoli/Ennis

O'Reilly - Reinhart - Ennis/Toffoli

That's an awesome top-6 IMO...but I don't know where to put Moulson? Maybe Moulson - Girgensons - Gionta for the 3rd line? (Just rather have Foligno at LW3.)

I'd love to have Toffoli, but he's an RFA that will probably require atleast 1 first round pick if not two.

But at 23 he'd be a perfect addition

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.