2006-10 Home "Buffaslug"

2006-10 Away "Buffaslug"

2013-15 Alternate "Turdburger"

2010-Present Home

2010-Present Away

1996-06 Away "Goat" Black

2006-07 Alternate "Classic + New Blue"

Edited by FLYNNSanity

Why did they get rid of the 40th anniversary thirds? Beautiful, well imagined, historical, cool numbers and name plates. The turdburger is hands down the worst, worse than the slug even. We did look bad ass in the black goat heads.

I believe they can only keep alternates for two years.

I know that is accepted practice to lump 1970-1996 as the same classic jersey but anyone that has done any collecting will tell you how those jerseys varied over the years. Ragtag, stitched together mismatched colors, hockey sweaters were never so religiously thought of until recently. The crest, those meant something. The sweaters themselves, not so much.

Just my two cents, carry on.

Home/Away is a confusing differentiator as somewhere along the line, the NHL went from Home Whites to Home Darks. Anyone know when that was?

I want to pick all versions of the current/classic white jerseys before selecting any dark ones to finish my four votes.

They wore dark at home until 1970 then switched to white at home dark on the road. In 2003 they switched back to dark at home.

http://www.nhluniforms.com/Sabres/Sabres05.html

My favorite is the one they adopted either in 83 or 84. That's when they altered the number font and made the stripes thicker.

DEATH TO THE SLUG

On June 27, 2006, Sabres Report leaked the new Buffalo Sabres logo. At 6:12 p.m. that evening, a poster on the Sabre Space boards spoke for the majority of hockey fans:

"What the hell is that?"

A few days later, a poster named Don wondered:

"Where are the legs? Why are there no Sabres? Why is it wearing a mask? If it's not a mask, then why is that blue strip on its nose? Is that a Breathe-Right strip that football players wear? Why is one horn white and the other yellow? Why does it look like it was inspired by Homer Simpson's sperm?"

Edited by WildCard

I don't mind the black and red jerseys from the goathead era.  They were a good jersey in a time when weird 90's styling was creeping into NHL jerseys.  If there's a downside to those for me, it's not the logo, it's the poor trend of removing color from jerseys and and heading to black/white/red that so may teams did.  So much black/white in those days.  And that's the reason I like the third from that era- the red was a flash of color in an otherwise dreary NHL jersey landscape.  In hindsight, I think these jerseys take a little extra flak because they were also the Adelphia corporate colors, but they still hold their place as the uniform of an amazing few years in the franchise.

My favorites, though, are the classic home and away and the present home and away.  For the classics, they're the genesis of the brand of Buffalo NHL hockey, plus the six-stripe socks were the .  They did evolve from 1970-1995 in small ways.  The final iteration had lots of great elements was elegant.  The modern era isn't perfect -maybe the blue's a little dark and maybe the grey is pointless- but they're a great modern look at the beloved classics.  They're the jersey we had really been waiting for after so many years of weird sluggy Reebok-designed dog crap.  They're better than a lot of jerseys in the league.

The turdburger's the worst for me.  It's a trainwreck of questionable and risky design elements.  A mostly-gold jersey would have been much, much better with a simpler, classier approach.  It'll forever be associated with the worst years of Buffalo hockey.  Also terrible is the slug, especially the road white.  It came about from ownership accepting the fans suggestion that the franchise return to blue and gold, but then absolutely failing the design phase- opting to go with new Reebok fancy design instead of returning to an elegant classic.  The designer of the slug logo has since publicly acknowledged the fact he up.  Those terrible jerseys might not have been as terrible if they were centered with the present day logo.

In hindsight, I think these jerseys take a little extra flak because they were also the Adelphia corporate colors, but they still hold their place as the uniform of an amazing few years in the franchise.

People may wrongly associate the colors as Adelphia colors. I don't know that Rigas had enough clout to control that decision in 1995 and 1996. He was investing heavily in the team, but of course he didn't own it yet. I am hedging my bets with wishy washy language because I really don't know. It seems to me that criticism of the colors is something that evolved after the Adelphia scandal.

It sure took the Sabres long enough to abandon those colors, from the time of Rigas losing the team (2002) to the slug jersey being introduced (2006). The one thing I've never understood is why Quinn/Goli had the team skate out in the old blue and gold at the end of the 2002-2003 season if they didn't intend on going back to that look right away.

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain