Evan Rodigues Signs with Sabres Confirmed 2 YR Deal

Brawndo

And?

Don't be a jerk. It's obvious what he's getting at...

I don't think Rodrigues will be a long-time NHLer, especially not at Marty's level, but it's worth pointing out that it's not impossible for these guys to turn into something.

Don't be a jerk. It's obvious what he's getting at...

I don't think Rodrigues will be a long-time NHLer, especially not at Marty's level, but it's worth pointing out that it's not impossible for these guys to turn into something.

I think he could have answered without your help. But since you're picking up the flag for him, I disagree that it's worth pointing out exceptions to what is generally a rule when it comes to college UFA's. Throwing Marty St. Louis out there like it means anything is just stupid.

I think he could have answered without your help. But since you're picking up the flag for him, I disagree that it's worth pointing out exceptions to what is generally a rule when it comes to college UFA's. Throwing Marty St. Louis out there like it means anything is just stupid.

It's not like he's pointing out that Wayne Gretzky wasn't drafted. He's a college UDFA and has found a lot of success. It's not like he's implying that this means that's what Rodrigues is going to have the same career path. It's absolutely worth discussing success stories. They're far and few between, but it's part of the discussion no doubt. No need to call it stupid just because you don't feel like it's worthy of your consideration.

nothing means anything other than an NHL GM decided to sign him to a contract

You know what?  I try him out on Eichel's wing.  If the chemistry sticks, great.  If it doesn't, then you can kick him out to Rochester.  I'm not sure I'm even saying that Rodrigues will light it up, just hat having a familiar linemate may help Eichel's transition to the NHL.

Seems he was more of a product of Eichel based on the fact he had 21 goals and 39 assists first three seasons, then 21/40 his senior yr w/ Eichel.

Plus he played LW with Eichel where we are stocked.  Even if he moves to RW it's another Leino situation.

I say he is a depth guy for Rochester. 

It's not like he's pointing out that Wayne Gretzky wasn't drafted. He's a college UDFA and has found a lot of success. It's not like he's implying that this means that's what Rodrigues is going to have the same career path. It's absolutely worth discussing success stories. They're far and few between, but it's part of the discussion no doubt. No need to call it stupid just because you don't feel like it's worthy of your consideration.

Comparing a run of the mill undrafted college free agent to a HOFer seems a little reckless.

Wise move I have to say, TM signs him to a 2 year deal that will likely entail mostly AHL time in order to see if he was made by Eichel or if he's good in his own right. If he can put up numbers in the AHL without Eichel, he's a great addition seeing as he'd already have chemistry with Eichel. If not, he could be a good AHL player whom can help younger players in the future due to his intelligence. 

This may also in a small way being GMTM apologizing to Eichel for the post-draft interview. Eichel's a team player, so Buffalo signing one of his undrafted teammates seems to point to we'll take care of a few of his friends in need. I guess this theory is more confirmed if we sign O'Connor in July after he has trouble getting a team to sign him.

Wise move I have to say, TM signs him to a 2 year deal that will likely entail mostly AHL time in order to see if he was made by Eichel or if he's good in his own right. If he can put up numbers in the AHL without Eichel, he's a great addition seeing as he'd already have chemistry with Eichel. If not, he could be a good AHL player whom can help younger players in the future due to his intelligence. 

This may also in a small way being GMTM apologizing to Eichel for the post-draft interview. Eichel's a team player, so Buffalo signing one of his undrafted teammates seems to point to we'll take care of a few of his friends in need. I guess this theory is more confirmed if we sign O'Connor in July after he has trouble getting a team to sign him.

I really don't think Eichel has much to do with TM signing him, it should only be based on sabres scouts and the TM liking what they see in him and hope he can be a future piece on this team.

If it was to smooth things over i really don't want this gm anymore and it isn't his style either.

O'connor reportedly not coming to buffalo.

Edited by Heimdall

I really don't think Eichel has much to do with TM signing him, it should only be based on sabres scouts and the TM liking what they see in him and hope he can be a future piece on this team.

If it was to smooth things over i really don't want this gm anymore and it isn't his style either.

O'connor reportedly not coming to buffalo.

I think Eichel had at least some reason behind the signing, apology probably not, sole reason no, but it had to count for something. Maybe a tiebreaker of sorts 

For O'Connor I read that well after I posted.

Seems he was more of a product of Eichel based on the fact he had 21 goals and 39 assists first three seasons, then 21/40 his senior yr w/ Eichel.

What's interesting is the difference between 2012-13 and 2013-14 ...

2011-12 36GP 2G 10A 12P

2012-13 38GP 14G 20A 34P

2013-14 31GP 5G 9A 14P

2014-15 41GP 21A 40A 61P

Clearly, his senior year (1.488 PPG) was more than just progression, so that was likely the Eichel effect.  However, he went from a 0.895 PPG player as a sophomore to a 0.452 PPG player as a junior.

What's interesting is the difference between 2012-13 and 2013-14 ...

2011-12 36GP 2G 10A 12P

2012-13 38GP 14G 20A 34P

2013-14 31GP 5G 9A 14P

2014-15 41GP 21A 40A 61P

Clearly, his senior year (1.488 PPG) was more than just progression, so that was likely the Eichel effect.  However, he went from a 0.895 PPG player as a sophomore to a 0.452 PPG player as a junior.

Injury maybe? Seems odd to say the least.

Plus he played LW with Eichel where we are stocked.  Even if he moves to RW it's another Leino situation.

I say he is a depth guy for Rochester. 

It is much easier for a winger to flip sides than it is for a winger to play center.  

Look Rodriguez was signed because he is a RW on a team that basically has none.  Worse case scenario is he plays out his days as an AHL mentor.  All the reports say he is an intelligent 2 way player with some offensive upside.  Best case scenario is he meshes well with Jack and plays top line minutes.  I think his defensive game might be good enough to be in the NHL but I am not sure about his ability to sustain offensive production.  He really reminds me of Brian Flynn. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.