Milan Lucic

inkman

The time line of two years is a reasonable point, the best made against the move so far. 

Think of this. opening night 2015 the starting lineup for the Buffalo Sabres is Gionta at right wing, Girgenssons at center Milan Lucic at left wing and the two kids on defense. That's an opening night starting lineup that erases the past two seasons.  

What would you be willing to part with to make this happen?

I'm in the sign Lucic to a reasonable contract camp. If nothing else it's basic math: addition (Buffalo) and subtraction (Boston). Buffalo will be a bit tougher and Boston will be a bit softer. If he wants outrageous money, then pass.

Are you referring to 2016 when he's a UFA?

Given Cam Neely's statements about wanting to return to a big, nasty style of team, I don't see them parting with Lucic.

It's just as well, IMHO -- despite my earlier post about taking him in a heartbeat, I'm not sure I could get past him running over Miller.

Given Cam Neely's statements about wanting to return to a big, nasty style of team, I don't see them parting with Lucic.

It's just as well, IMHO -- despite my earlier post about taking him in a heartbeat, I'm not sure I could get past him running over Miller.

I hadn't heard his statements.  I guess, gauntlet thrown.  We have more grit than we did back in the Miller Incident, but we aren't really equipped with nasty.  We may need to address that as we know the Bruins WILL be a team to reckon with again soon.

I hadn't heard his statements.  I guess, gauntlet thrown.  We have more grit than we did back in the Miller Incident, but we aren't really equipped with nasty.  We may need to address that as we know the Bruins WILL be a team to reckon with again soon.

Or we could just be a better team than them. I really hate the notion of building a team to "match up" with one specific team.

Not even close. Stewart along with Ennis and even Kane are nowhere near Lucic as an impact player.

I know Lucic ran over Miller and the hearts of the fans, to say he would be about the same as Stewart or Ennis is better, come on. Put the hurt feelings aside. First Ennis and now Stewart? If people didn't want to have a serious conversation than just lock the thread, this is going beyond silly. 

As far as O'Reilly, not many players with any talent wouldn't come in and lead the Sabres. They just lost 120 game sin two years, it shouldn't be hard to lead in any category. If the conversation was just about O'Reilly? Sure I'd say make he deal. Either/Or with Lucic, your talking two players on far different levels with O'Reilly having a lot of catching up to do. 

I'm not speaking with hurt feelings,  I'd honestly rather have a great possession player that plays center who puts up 50-60 points a year than Lucic.  If Lucic got in opposing teams' heads as much as he's in your heart, he'd probably be as impactful as you make him out to be.

Or we could just be a better team than them. I really hate the notion of building a team to "match up" with one specific team.

Make them build a team to matchup with us.  

Well, my point really is to make them build a team to match us.  I don't want a team of guys that will respond to Boston.  I want guys that Boston will need to respond to.  That's why I want a least a bit of nasty on the roster.  We still need that element identified.

I'm in the sign Lucic to a reasonable contract camp.  If nothing else it's basic math: addition (Buffalo) and subtraction (Boston).  Buffalo will be a bit tougher and Boston will be a bit softer.  If he wants outrageous money, then pass.

oh ye young and enthusiastical n shart , logically this seems correct... but spiritually its a nightmare... this prick is responsible foe exposing the weak heart and character of a once great organization as the talented but lacking in any concept of a honest reality picks, of darcy the weak and shifty,  were exposed because lucic, the vile,  was not killed by a group that cared and put out of his misery after taking his frustration out on a little guy... lets not remind the faithful of the fact lucic is a cheap talentless bully everyday by actually paying a bully to be more than the ahl star that he is...  id rather invite him  here and tie him up and throw him in the dungeon at the old aud and let schoenfeld beat him up daily as his city mattress workout than what the poster suggests... this thread is as bad as wanting limp marcia brady to be our quarterback on the sister site and then cheating since that is the only way he was successful... Don't reward horrible character!!

What do you guys think it would take to get Lucic, one year 6 mil rental (assuming Boston is willing to sell)?

I'd say late 1st and Pysyk is probably fair.  They'd probably be more interested in Grigorenko, though.

I'm not sure what it would take.

I'm not very good at that kind of stuff, but I wouldn't want to send them Grigorenko if I could avoid it.

Well, my point really is to make them build a team to match us.  I don't want a team of guys that will respond to Boston.  I want guys that Boston will need to respond to.  That's why I want a least a bit of nasty on the roster.  We still need that element identified.

This is where we disagree--I think we have enough of the grit right now. Ristolainen and Bogosian eating heavy minutes on the blue line, and possibly Zadorov as well. Up front we have Kane on the 1st line, Girgensons either line 2 or 3, and possibly Foligno on the 3rd. If I'm adding Lucic it's because I think he can get back to 25-30 goals and near 60 points while working an effective cycle, not because we need his fighting and penalty minutes.

The Legend of Lucic

It's not so much legend for me.  I just think we need a no nonsense team member to protect the spoils of the tank for the next couple of years.  He is skilled enough to chip in with goals and assists.  For me, it is kind of like putting an IDT sign or a beware the dog sign in your window.  If you are thinking about where to take your liberties, you are probably inclined to skip the house with the IDT/beware the dog sign.  The kids need some protection for a few years until their time in the weight room allows them to skate without enforcement.

Edited by wjag

This is where we disagree--I think we have enough of the grit right now. Ristolainen and Bogosian eating heavy minutes on the blue line, and possibly Zadorov as well. Up front we have Kane on the 1st line, Girgensons either line 2 or 3, and possibly Foligno on the 3rd. If I'm adding Lucic it's because I think he can get back to 25-30 goals and near 60 points while working an effective cycle, not because we need his fighting and penalty minutes.

None of the players you mention are guys that another team will feel compelled to react to.  They are gritty enough.  They are not nasty. Nor are they really protectors for the expensive china we have coming in.  And of course, the reason I would advocate for Lucic is because of the unique combination of offense *AND* the nasty he brings.  I don't need to bring in nasty without skill.  There are only a few players in the league that bring 1st line offense and make other teams react in other than defensive ways.  We'll want one, for the protection of our toys, and better yet, for the reaction that other teams will need to have.

The thread is about Lucic, but I'd make the same case for Simmonds.  The list gets pretty small after that.  Hartnell used to be on it.  Not sure he is any more.  Stewart gets close, but he's not really a guy other teams need to react to.

The Legend of Lucic

Unlike Kassian, at least Lucic has actual history to back up that legend.

Edited by weave

I'm not speaking with hurt feelings,  I'd honestly rather have a great possession player that plays center who puts up 50-60 points a year than Lucic.  If Lucic got in opposing teams' heads as much as he's in your heart, he'd probably be as impactful as you make him out to be.

Wasn't Leino a "great possession player?"  I'll take the 6' 3" 235 lb bull charging into the offensive zone wearing out the D. 

It's not so much legend for me.  I just think we need a no nonsense team member to protect the spoils of the tank for the next couple of years.  He is skilled enough to chip in with goals and assists.  For me, it is kind of like putting an IDT sign or a beware the dog sign in your window.  If you are thinking about where to take your liberties, you are probably inclined to skip the house with the IDT/beware the dog sign.  The kids need some protection for a few years until their time in the weight room allows them to skate without enforcement.

None of the players you mention are guys that another team will feel compelled to react to.  They are gritty enough.  They are not nasty. Nor are they really protectors for the expensive china we have coming in.  And of course, the reason I would advocate for Lucic is because of the unique combination of offense *AND* the nasty he brings.  I don't need to bring in nasty without skill.  There are only a few players in the league that bring 1st line offense and make other teams react in other than defensive ways.  We'll want one, for the protection of our toys, and better yet, for the reaction that other teams will need to have.

The thread is about Lucic, but I'd make the same case for Simmonds.  The list gets pretty small after that.  Hartnell used to be on it.  Not sure he is any more.  Stewart gets close, but he's not really a guy other teams need to react to.

Unlike Kassian, at least Lucic has actual history to back up that legend.

Both of these.

Well, I'm glad we have Liger's approval to proceed.   :rolleyes:

You should be.

This cracked me right up.

Wasn't Leino a "great possession player?"  I'll take the 6' 3" 235 lb bull charging into the offensive zone wearing out the D. 

When you put it that way...

At what price?

I don't think he's gonna answer.

I was watching NESN last night and the question of the day was what do they do with Lucic. He's got a big cap number, his production fell way off and their going to need some cap relief next season.

I hate the guy but I'm curious to see how many of you would want him on the Sabres.

I'd sign him, drug him and get him Shanghied into a Chinese homosexual brothel. After that I'd  get serious about paying the sob back for being a first class jerk. 

At what price?

Price is going to be difficult. I doubt Boston is going into full rebuild mold looking for picks and prospects. They'll be looking for NHL players in return. The Sabres are whoa-fully short on quality NHL players at the moment. If they are interested in picks and prospects? Pretty much all assets except this years top pick, Girgensons  and Risto are in play. If I can get Lucic signed long term I would gladly give-up a package built around Reinhart and #1's. I would need to be able to talk to Lucic before a deal is completed, a rental player, no matter who it is , just doesn't make sense for the Sabres at this point.  

Price is going to be difficult. I doubt Boston is going into full rebuild mold looking for picks and prospects. They'll be looking for NHL players in return. The Sabres are whoa-fully short on quality NHL players at the moment. If they are interested in picks and prospects? Pretty much all assets except this years top pick, Girgensons and Risto are in play. If I can get Lucic signed long term I would gladly give-up a package built around Reinhart and #1's. I would need to be able to talk to Lucic before a deal is completed, a rental player, no matter who it is , just doesn't make sense for the Sabres at this point.

That's a good point. We can't talk extension until after the draft, so this year's picks are out. Boston is going to want scoring. I just don't see the assets available to get him without parting with Zemgus, and I think that kind of defeats the purpose. I would definitely be in the conversation next summer, possibly even at the deadline.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.