The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Sorry nfreeman, no presser Tuesday. 

A person familiar with discussions told the AP that the Sabres anticipate it'll take Babcock more than a week to make a decision on his future. The person added, Babcock informed the Sabres that he still intends to travel to the World Hockey championships currently taking place in the Czech Republic. The tournament runs through May 17.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12862737/mike-babcock-detroit-red-wings-interviews-buffalo-sabres

Any Idea why he wants to go to the World's so badly? Is it an interview or to get a good look at Larkin/Eichel? 

It's still really early in the process but I would have to imagine if Babcock does leave Detroit the Sabres would be one of the favorites, if not in the lead for his services.

One issue that I wonder is how much control would Murray be willing to give up?  Nolan made it apparent that he wasn't involved in all player trades or call ups.  Do you think Babcock would be ok with the same thing?  Do you think Murray would be ok giving that up to the HC.

Just knowing Murray I would think he would be more content with someone who would let him run things more his way.  I don't see Babcock being that kind of coach.

With that being said, I know the Sabres had a tough year in 2014-15 and some of the decisions Murray made aren't decisions he'll have to make in the future (playing lesser skilled players in order to tank.) 

But still, the control thing is there for TM and I see that as the only deterrent for him truly wanting Babs behind the Sabres bench.

Your argument is well made, but the supposition is that Babcock can't handle the "dirt horses". He's a smart fellow, I would have to think he knows what he would be getting into. This isn't Ruff we're talking about, here, or Nolan, for that matter.

Indeed, you could actually say that what Babcock may want is a team like this, after having to coach a certain style all of these years. Maybe he's tired of the culture and style of play he has had in Detroit; kind of like having to eat steak and salad all of time. Maybe he wants BBQ brisket, nachos, and bacon burgers now.

Fair for sure....

If he was hired, Babcock would by default become the greatest coach of the Sabres the past 30 years.

I just hear Ruff praising him...I see Canada and Babcock/Hitchcock/Ruff.....I see the 1 Cup and lots of "nice jobs"......I see the UN, not the Colonial Militia.....I see Chet and Muffy jumping on the wagon.....I rightly get nervous.

I'll tell you this much.....if they do hire Babcock and draft Eichel, and with Rex Ryan and all the moves.....if the Sabres end up with 78 points and the Bills 7-9.......this city is going to flip.

this ghost of dwight drane must be having conniptions given that i might have more than one source with les sabres. he or she'll never admit to it, because he or she is a one-trick pony, and yet i seem to continue to confound his or her's deeply rooted biases that they've long surpassed the delusional. but what the heck do i know, given the disrespect.

:P

jw

this ghost of dwight drane must be having conniptions given that i might have more than one source with les sabres. he or she'll never admit to it, because he or she is a one-trick pony, and yet i seem to continue to confound his or her's deeply rooted biases that they've long surpassed the delusional. but what the heck do i know, given the disrespect.

:P

jw

Johnny Boy!

I love ya man......nice to see you once every 6 months.

I disappear for months at a time from here too...but that's because I ask questions.

At least the stench of jet fuel from Prior doesn't overpower the 2AM Tanqueray.......

Hang on.....I have to go post on the WKBW board now......Sean Stepner is calling me out for saying he uses hair gel from Aldi's.......

Johnny Boy!

I love ya man......nice to see you once every 6 months.

I disappear for months at a time from here too...but that's because I ask questions.

At least the stench of jet fuel from Prior doesn't overpower the 2AM Tanqueray.......

Hang on.....I have to go post on the WKBW board now......Sean Stepner is calling me out for saying he uses hair gel from Aldi's.......

amazed that you've been able to keep this audience captivated from your bully pulpit. i'm quite shocked they haven't voted you prom king just yet. or is it queen. i'm sorry, i never get that stuff straight, or is it crooked.

i've been called clueless by schleps more passive aggressive than you.

quite pleased to see that you've been able to keep your one-bang-band of a hand moisturized through this process. i'm sure the viagara folks have been left impressed.

and wrong again on the gin reference, but geez, you being wrong is as predictable as it gets.

keep blowing.

jw

oh, and by the way, bring it.

sonava ... c'mon collect a thought.

i'd say half a thought, but you're accustomed to that.

how bout a word?

buy a vowel?

how 'bout i spot you a letter? let's start with F?

(sigh)

is this thing on?

and i'm really starting to doubt that you love me.

unsure about the ... "but i ask questions" part of your post. it seems more apt to suggest you make accusations that your behind can't hope to cash.

geez. still nothing.

at this rate, i just might call Larry Quinn to see what he's up to, just for kicks.

at least i'll get a response.

drane still on dialup?

i got more out of Terry today, as this goes.

this is quite impolite, dwight.

either that or he's attempting to "drane" my patience.

i mean, geez, someone's already posted in the "holland tulip" thread. need i repeat that: the holland tulip thread.

this retort better be reeeeeeeeeeeaaaally good.

but no pressure.

i'll accept an "oh yeah?"

"yeah"

at this point.

just keep my mom out of it. that's all i ask.

and my wife. she has to put up with me to begin with, so there's that cross to bear.

i've got a third cousin, though, who you could pick on.

he's big on posting on message boards, and such.

i think he goes by the handle of "the ghost of dwight ...." oh, yikes..

look at me, red-faced and all.

i mean, there really can't be more than one of you, right?

right?

bill, please.

and ... now!

nope.

_

?

~

:flirt:

and don't you forget it.

come to think of it, dwight's response to my post had absolutely nothing to do with my post.

how shallow.

and no, i didn't need to call Larry to confirm that.

but

amazed that you've been able to keep this audience captivated from your bully pulpit. i'm quite shocked they haven't voted you prom king just yet. or is it queen. i'm sorry, i never get that stuff straight, or is it crooked.

quite pleased to see that you've been able to keep your one-bang-band of a hand moisturized through this process. i'm sure the viagara folks have been left impressed.

and wrong again on the gin reference, but geez, you being wrong is as predictable as it gets.

keep blowing.

jw

how bout a word?

buy a vowel?

(sigh)

is this thing on?

unsure about the ... "but i ask questions" part of your post. it seems more apt to suggest you make accusations that your behind can't hope to cash.

geez. still nothing.

at this rate, i just might call Larry Quinn to see what he's up to, just for kicks.

drane still on dialup?

I sort of feel like Rob Ray in Quebec when that fan jumped on the ice.......

I know you are a whiskey man. My sources don't have PR jobs for life.....they make $4 an hour serving drinks in the Harbor Club. I am told that for some odd reason, a case would be missing from inventory every month. In July of 2007, Tommy G actually got to take a writeoff because the whole shipment went missing. Isn't that crazy?

Tell Terry "Hello" for me. You can quote me on that, much like the only quote from the article I just googled.

And I don't think you are clueless....I respect your ability......which is why when you are the only local writer to have full access to this team for almost a decade, and the franchise is at the lowest point of pretty much any in the history of professional sports.....maybe Denmark....isn't....quite...fresh?

Speaking of that.....dude....you gotta check out my Holland Tulip thread. I was only going to let Sully use the trademark, but I do feel a tad bad for assuming you didn't quite have your compete level at 100% all these years when covering the Sabres. So....you can use it too.

I'm too poor to buy a vowel. I don't make that AP scratch. I just post my crazy insight for free. But if it starts with an F.....and I could buy and I......and you're the puzzle clue.....it sure as hell ain't FIDUCIARY RESPONSIBILITY!!!!

color me unimpressed. it took you 45 minutes to put that together?

i post once every 6 months as you say, and yet ...

jw

i mean a denmark reference?

too poor to buy a vowel? c'mon, i thought you cashed in on a reputation of calling me out.

oh right, there's probably no money in that.

unsure why you switched to all caps.

as in, is this supposed to mean something to me? "FIDUCIARY RESPONSIBILITY!!!!"

because if that's some inside joke, well, you don't need to share or explain. i'll simply accept it for what it is.

ummm

but i like the fact that the Sabres struggles are somehow my fault. credit where credit is due.

also, wanna point out, i don't get paid for posting here either.

hint: it's a message board.

or, at this rate, should i say, bored.

and you wonder why i show up here once every 6 months. i mean, look at you.

you've spent years calling me out. and when i confront you, all you can come up with is blather.

i expected far better.

well, there ya go, the board's all yours for the next 6 months.

Edited by john wawrow

Dear Mr. Wawrow,

I do not make my living as a REPORTER for a NATIONAL PRESS ASSOCIATION who has a FIDUCIARY RESPONSIBILTY to the PUBLIC to REPORT THE FACTS OF PRESSING MATTERS TO THE BEST OF THEIR ABILITY!!!

So sorry for not responding so quickly.

Since you called me out.......here is an offer......

I challenge you to a live, 2 person press conference. It needs to be on WGR, or if you have a better idea, I am willing to listen. I want Ted Black available for questioning, and if you want to try and work something out with Gibby, he can come too.

You can ask me the first 5 questions. Anything you want. Have I ever been employed by the Sabres? Is my uncle Pat LaFontaine? Whatever you want.

We will then go into a 10 question segment with Mr. Black and anyone else if they show up.

You get the first question.......then we alternate.

At the end I get to ask you 1 question.

You say I have a bully pulpit. I post on a public message board for zero compensation. Let's see if you are willing to have an honest assesment of skills....even when I concede to going on a media outlet which makes almost all of it's revenue off of the owner of the Sabres.

Whadda say?

If you don't have the sources and power to pull that off, then please pass it on to your sources within the organization.......I would be willing to have an hour long, live Q+A with any of the top executives.....Ted Black, Terry Pegula, Tim Murray, Cliff Benson.........

Me and Timmy would probably just swap stories of free cashews and jujus, but the offer still stands.

To speak with Babcock you had to sign a letter promising a third-rounder if you signed him.

Forget where I read it, but I believe the source was Kenny Holland.

I'll try to look it up.

We got 4 third rounders in 2016, i think we can miss one.

Smells musky in here.

Isn't there a crew that cleans up the board in the wee hours?

It's another nice day, but we still have the fog of war. Can anyone definitely nail down what the travel stuff was all about last night? Terry and Mike flew to Detroit, and then what?

I'm revisiting the employee tweet. What kind of employee is there on Sunday on Mother's Day and has access to what is going on? Was the tweet unauthorized? Or part of a "get the fans riled up" campaign? And get the media out to the arena and to the airport. Wawrow can boast about having a source, and it's surely someone at the very top — let's call him Shallow Throat — but I wouldn't wait for the Pulitzer call. Again, it seems like a matter of the Sabres wanting the Babcock is here story out there.

All that, plus the fact this was one of Babcock's first visits with teams, if not the first, makes me think, again, he's not coming here. Dog and pony show? As Hoppe speculates, maybe a way for Babcock to leverage a Pegula offer? And the Sabres can say, hey, we tried, what can ya do, only one team wins the Cup and only one team can get Babcock. When was the last time the New England Patriots signed Mike Babcock.

I believe the Pegulas are also on that flight. The same plane is scheduled to leave Detroit 45 mins after landing and head to Boca Raton. It also appears the Pegulas flew to Detroit and picked him up as well.

What is the source for all this?

This Tweet has disappeared.

I genuinely hate/despise/abhor/detest/loathe that communication in this country has devolved to tweets and text messages.  CNN now sources their news by chaining tweets together.  It is an abomination to journalism and I believe somewhere Walter Cronkite is looking on in a disapproving manner.

I love when Warrow drunk-dials GoDD for his six month booty call.

It was a great season finale though. Now we have to wait until November to find out if Wawrow accepts the challenge to debate. Rob Lowe as the advisor to Ghost was a nice touch.

It was a great season finale though. Now we have to wait until November to find out if Wawrow accepts the challenge to debate. Rob Lowe as the advisor to Ghost was a nice touch.

The next time someone complains about us chasing off a reporter "who could have actual information about the team," please remember John Wawrow and the steaming turds he drops here every 6 months. Those posts were like a bad E.E. Cummings acid trip.

Thanks for all the inside info. They really raised the level of the discussion.

If it were any other poster, he would have been banned, or at least warned.

Edited by SumpfV

The next time someone complains about us chasing off a reporter "who could have actual information about the team," please remember John Wawrow and the steaming turds he drops here every 6 months. Those posts were like a bad E.E. Cummings acid trip.

Thanks. I needed a new signature.

When ever I read these words, this is all I hear:

I mute it.

keep blowing.

jw

how bout a word?

buy a vowel?

(sigh)

is this thing on?

geez. still nothing.

drane still on dialup?

this is quite impolite, dwight.

either that or he's attempting to "drane" my patience.

i mean, geez, someone's already posted in the "holland tulip" thread. need i repeat that: the holland tulip thread.

this retort better be reeeeeeeeeeeaaaally good.

but no pressure.

i'll accept an "oh yeah?"

"yeah"

at this point.

just keep my mom out of it. that's all i ask.

and my wife. she has to put up with me to begin with, so there's that cross to bear.

i've got a third cousin, though, who you could pick on.

he's big on posting on message boards, and such.

i think he goes by the handle of "the ghost of dwight ...." oh, yikes..

look at me, red-faced and all.

i mean, there really can't be more than one of you, right?

right?

bill, please.

and ... now!

nope.

_

?

~

:flirt:

and don't you forget it.

come to think of it, dwight's response to my post had absolutely nothing to do with my post.

how shallow.

and no, i didn't need to call Larry to confirm that.

but

I sort of feel like Rob Ray in Quebec when that fan jumped on the ice.......

I know you are a whiskey man. My sources don't have PR jobs for life.....they make $4 an hour serving drinks in the Harbor Club. I am told that for some odd reason, a case would be missing from inventory every month. In July of 2007, Tommy G actually got to take a writeoff because the whole shipment went missing. Isn't that crazy?

Tell Terry "Hello" for me. You can quote me on that, much like the only quote from the article I just googled.

And I don't think you are clueless....I respect your ability......which is why when you are the only local writer to have full access to this team for almost a decade, and the franchise is at the lowest point of pretty much any in the history of professional sports.....maybe Denmark....isn't....quite...fresh?

Speaking of that.....dude....you gotta check out my Holland Tulip thread. I was only going to let Sully use the trademark, but I do feel a tad bad for assuming you didn't quite have your compete level at 100% all these years when covering the Sabres. So....you can use it too.

I'm too poor to buy a vowel. I don't make that AP scratch. I just post my crazy insight for free. But if it starts with an F.....and I could buy and I......and you're the puzzle clue.....it sure as hell ain't FIDUCIARY RESPONSIBILITY!!!!

This whole thing reads like the worst rap battle in history.

He posts and then disappears for 6 months.  How is that any different from being banned?

But anyway, I don't blame the guy.  When someone has been insulting you for years in a very public manner, most can only take so much?  Professional?  No, but I still can't blame anyone for snapping.  I for one don't know why a sports discussion has to constantly turn to shredding the people who cover them.  Whether it's ESPN hate, WGR hate, or Buffalo News hate, it gets stale really fast, yet it winds up being one of if not the most frequent topics here or any other board.  These guys get paid to write about sports, they're not exactly at the peak of society's pecking order.  Why do we care about them so much as to mention them constantly?  I don't need to see a bunch of letters on a screen or a paper to change one bit of what goes through my mind when watching a game.