What if Eichel Decides to Return to BU Next Year?

Dave Dryden

I've heard from both the Buffalo and Boston media, that he wanted to play against McDavid in the OHL, but his rights were in the Q... Given those options, he stayed local.

That was a fabrication from the junior hockey media.  They make up these stories every year about the higher profile college players.  Whether it is an attempt to lure over these player or just to stir up trade possibilities, they've been pretty shameful over the years with this stuff.

That was a fabrication from the junior hockey media.  They make up these stories every year about the higher profile college players.  Whether it is an attempt to lure over these player or just to stir up trade possibilities, they've been pretty shameful over the years with this stuff.

Good.  I thought it was a bit strange. 

Nah, totally true. Every kid dreams of playing in the Canadian Junior system, just some have circumstances that they can't realize their dream. (That's sarcasm, BTW)

But I mean he might, right? That would be So Buffalo. We find a generational talent, but he has to "season" for two years in Roch. Earn his keep before playing in Bleu Collar Buffalo!

It's possible, I guess. But not because it would fit any narrative about what it's all about to be of/from Buffalo.

There is also a chance Eichel would choose to return to BU rather than go pro. I would place the chances of him being assigned to the A as lower than his chances of returning to BU.

I'm not exactly sure how that works -- NCAA eligibility vis-a-vis participation in an NHL camp. Is it the case that, once he signs his entry level deal, he's done with the NCAA? I think so.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Time for a Liger-style rant about the AHL. ;) He won't see the AHL in his career unless it's a conditioning stint after an injury.

As for staying at BU, it comes down to is staying in college 1 extra year to hang w/ friends & take 1 more kick @ the can worth leaving at least $5MM on the table over the life of his NHL career. Right now, 2 days after losing, it probably is. By the time he has to decide whether to sign or stay, the pain of losing won't be as fresh and the excitement of a new challenge will be. I'd be very surprised to see him stay because there is a ton of upside to going NHL now and only 1 thing left for him @ college level (well, 2 if you count winning HB b-t-b). And this kid is competitive and will always be linked to McDavid; can't see where he'd want to give him a 1 year head start.

how's that being estimated?

Pulling roughly 1 year's worth of going rate mid-late 20's 2nd line center salary; 'cause that's what he'll miss (minimum) over his career by stretching his entry level deal out another year. The entry level's locked and the end of line pretty much is as well (though we just don't know what that'll be at this point); the variable is he's losing 1 year's worth of salary at his 27ish yo self, essentially foregoing a year's worth of UFA earning power to get 1 extra kick @ the can.

Pulling roughly 1 year's worth of going rate mid-late 20's 2nd line center salary; 'cause that's what he'll miss (minimum) over his career by stretching his entry level deal out another year. The entry level's locked and the end of line pretty much is as well (though we just don't know what that'll be at this point); the variable is he's losing 1 year's worth of salary at his 27ish yo self, essentially foregoing a year's worth of UFA earning power to get 1 extra kick @ the can.

Gotcha.

I trust his agent will be similarly advising him.

Also: Did anyone see the ESPN guy interviewing Eichel's parents in the stands during the championship game? Holy Boston, Batman,

don't know if he would or wouldn't, but it would be a kick in the nads to GMTM if he did don't you think, college players staying in school and getting a education, now that's not a normal choice with all the one and done going on these days

don't know if he would or wouldn't, but it would be a kick in the nads to GMTM if he did don't you think, college players staying in school and getting a education, now that's not a normal choice with all the one and done going on these days

No I don't. I doubt he stays in college but if he stayed another year it's not a big deal. Still getting a top player

Gotcha.

I trust his agent will be similarly advising him.

Also: Did anyone see the ESPN guy interviewing Eichel's parents in the stands during the championship game? Holy Boston, Batman,

I hate that they asked his mother where he will be playing next year in the middle of the national championship game.  She handled that really well.

And then show it on the screen while the game is in progress.  Someday they'll figure out that we can just listen to an interview and not actually have to see the person talking.

I miss the old days...A play-by-play guy and an analyst. The analyst only spoke during play stoppages. Now it's story telling and chatting while the game is going on. talking to a coach on the bench...talking to a football coach while he's going in for half time....ridiculous and a waste of time.....

While it may seem unlikely, there is a possibility of him playing another year, especially now that BU lost the title game.  When asked about it last night, Eichel, while clearly not tipping his hand, articulated the advantages to staying in school and furthering his development.   

Question, does this have any impact on drafting him, assuming the 80% probability comes to pass and the Sabres draft second?

Let me ask you a question, Devjid Drychovny:

What if we get slightly lucky with our 20% odds and win the lottery?

And then select McDavid?

Who cares what Eichel does then!

:flirt:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.