Sabres only need 1 regulation loss in last 3 games to clinch last place now...

matter2003

Just put this in the GDT:

They need one game out of six to go their way (or two half-ways in OT/SO losses.)

Can clinch with 2-1-0, 1-0-2, 1-1-1, 0-0-3, 1-2-0, 0-1-2, 0-2-1 or 0-3-0.

Need help if they go 3-0-0 (need 2 AZ points) or 2-0-1 (need 1 AZ point).

So is it still too early to feel some relief?

Never count anything until it's locked, but tonight was definitely a big step.  3 out of 4 games went their way this weekend and they started it needing 4 out of 10.

Edited by carpandean

Wow, look on the bright side..... we're only 43 points out of the last playoff spot. How far have we fallen Sabre fans.... We are celebrating (???) DFL, what a fall. Puhlease make this all worthwhile, PLEASE.

Wow, look on the bright side..... we're only 43 points out of the last playoff spot. How far have we fallen Sabre fans.... We are celebrating (???) DFL, what a fall. Puhlease make this all worthwhile, PLEASE.

Yep. We have nowhere to go but up from here. As much as I am looking forward to the possibility (I will not jinx it by not including possibility) of McEichel I am looking just as forward to everyone from management to the fans knowing that this is it. No more tanking. No more accepting (and hoping for) last place finishes.

That excites me as much as the thought of any one player coming here.

Yep. We have nowhere to go but up from here. As much as I am looking forward to the possibility (I will not jinx it by not including possibility) of McEichel I am looking just as forward to everyone from management to the fans knowing that this is it. No more tanking. No more accepting (and hoping for) last place finishes.

Amen! As much as it sickens me to ever pull for Carolina, a regulation loss on Monday would mean that everyone could finally exhale. It would be fantastic for the fans to be able to actually cheer for the team to win on Saturday and rid themselves of a year's plus worth of pent up frustration. It would be a well-deserved party and the tankers & anti-tankers could finally kiss and make up.

Don't count your chickens, yet, folks. As I noted in the CHL thread, the DDs next two opponents are far more desperate than the Sabres' next two. This could drag out until the 11th.

At the worst, the DDs need a regulation win out of the next two, or need a loser point in each. The Sabres need to lose one of the next two, or, at best, get a loser point in each.

Carolina is 3-2-1 in their last six.  Columbus is 9-1.

Even more than that, Columbus is 12-1-0 in their last 13.

Carolina is the Sabres' easiest opponent and Calgary is playing very well, so it is quite likely that this won't be done until next weekend.

By the way, if you are really pessimistic and give the Sabres a 75% chance of winning each game and the Coyotes a 75% chance of losing each in regulation (and no chance of an OT/SO loss), then there is an 18.8% chance of getting McDavid, 69.3% chance of getting Eichel and 11.6% chance of drafting 3rd.

Edited by carpandean

After a quick turn of events this weekend, there could be a long, slow road to the end:

Off today

One shot Monday (Hurricanes @ Sabres)

One shot Tuesday ('Yotes @ Flames)

Off Wednesday

One shot Thursday ('Yotes @ Canucks)

One shot Friday (Sabres @ Blue Jackets)

and none of that pays off:

One shot at 7:00pm Saturday (Pens @ Sabres)

Final shot at 9:00pm Saturday (Ducks @ 'Yotes)

I wonder if this is how Pens fans felt when they got Crosby, only to see their team finish with 58 points his first season, same point total as their previous season. They finished one point out of 30th, so I'm sure there was no rooting for losses down the stretch with Erik Johnson, Jordan Staal and Jonathan Toews in that draft class.

This feels like one of those horror movies where the killer is dead, the light music is playing and the final credits seem ready to scroll, then...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.