2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

What have we seen as a pro, though is a finishing winger who has had success in front of the net and along the wall. It's not like he developed a killer shot and added 30 pounds of muscle. He just embraced the role that was put in front of him and figured out how to play it well, even without having the ideal skill set for it.

Oooorrrrrrr..... he did have the skill set for it and is simply very adaptable.  He was what he needed to be in juniors and is adaptable enough to successfully be what he needs to be in the Bigs.

I think Reinhart fits that prototypical assumption that a good center can play wing, but a good winger can't necessarily play center.  The impressive thing to me is that if you watch him on the ice you can see that not only is he making the right decisions, but that it's a continuous process.  He's thinking the game through and as conditions change he adjusts continuously.  I think the problem some players have is that they make the right decision but then the play changes and they don't make the next decision until the play goes by (you hear lines like "he overcommitted" when what really happened is that a player made the right decision initially but then didn't keep thinking it through and adjust as the play evolved).  Sam thinks it all the way through and acts accordingly.

Does that make any sense or am I just babbling?

Edited by The Big Johnson

Oooorrrrrrr..... he did have the skill set for it and is simply very adaptable.  He was what he needed to be in juniors and is adaptable enough to successfully be what he needs to be in the Bigs.

I think that is exactly what I was trying to say: his most impressive skill is how he understands the game, which allows him to do the right things no matter the situation. its the same quality that makes Duncan Keith an elite player.

I still think centre is where Sam will flourish best, but I also think he can succeed anywhere.

It's a little early to be congratulating GMTM about Reinhart.  He now looks like he belongs, which is great, but he's not a true difference-maker.  I'd guess most NHL GMs would prefer Ekblad over him, and quite possibly Draisaitl as well.

I'd guess most fans would prefer Ekblad, or Draisaitl or even Bennett because of their physical qualities.

And Sam is not the best player from that group right now.

I stil think Murray made the right choice and it will become more evident as the seasons go by.

Murray said what he values most is how well a player understands the game. Personally, it's what I value most too.

Reinhart is not a difference-maker yet, but I believe he will be.

Ennis should be back tomorrow. Joined the Kane-Eichel duo in practice.

So maybe: 

Reino-ROR-McGinn

Kane-Eichel-Ennis

Zemgus-Larsson-Gionta

Deslauriers-Legwand-Moulson

I sure wish that 2nd line would produce as well on the ice as its potential looks on the screen.

So maybe:

Reino-ROR-McGinn

Kane-Eichel-Ennis

Zemgus-Larsson-Gionta

Deslauriers-Legwand-Moulson

I sure wish that 2nd line would produce as well on the ice as its potential looks on the screen.

I don't have the link, but you nailed the rest of the practice lines today. And I agree, hopefully that Eichel-to-Kane goal opens the floodgates. Only the second time this year those two connected for a goal.

Ennis should be back tomorrow. Joined the Kane-Eichel duo in practice.

Have we seen Ennis Kane and Jack together yet?  It doesn't ring a bell.  Did Ennis get moved to play with Jack while Kane was hurt and then got hurt around the time Kane came back?

McGinn has been on fire lately

Playing with O'Reilly and Reinhart. The guy has never broken 40 points in a season, as you'd expect out of a 3rd line talent. Maybe that's where Zemgus ultimately settles in too, but he was on his way to 40 last season while getting offensive opportunity--I still think there's a reasonable chance he's a top-6 player, whereas I'm certain McGinn is not.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.