How far should the fans go?

PASabreFan

I hate to channel Mike Schopp, but, man this whole thing is hot. It's all pretty fascinating.

Last night, I think for the first time, the fans starting getting into the act, cheering Devils goals and Sabres no goals. (At least this is the first time I've heard it, or seen it reported.)

How far should the fans go? What can they (we) do? If the Sabres get some momentum in a game, litter the ice? Derisively chant Liiiiiind-baaaaaaaack, Liiiiiiiiiind-baaaaaaack? How mean could the chants be? How demoralizing? Sabre skates down during a shootout — fans swaying back and forth behind the net, college basketball-style? Should hot, stacked women be pressing their breasts against the glass in an effort to distract? Man-boobs could do the trick as well.

These are half-serious questions. Why worry about what GMTM can do? Maybe the fans can do stuff on their own. If TB is right that a million little things contribute to winning, then the opposite would have to be true.

Actually cheering, in-arena, an opponent's goal. Now that is taking what I did against Boston — mentally hoping the Sabres would lose — to a new level.

As always, the whole tank debate comes down to a risk-benefit analysis. We get McEichel, but at what cost? How much damage has been done? Now, for the first time, I'm thinking that the damage could include the player-fan relationship. Sure, they're pros — CEOs of their own multi-million dollar corporations — and they have every reason to perform at the highest level, for their own sakes. But if the arena gets really bad these last x home games, will any of it linger in future seasons? How resentful would you be of such fans, how much would you want to bleed — win — for these people?

Outright cheering for the opponent? Cheering against the home team? Is there precedent for this? I mean, we've all imagined smothering elderly relatives with pillows, because we're in the will. But we're picking up the pillow now. This is blood lust.

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

Discretion is the better part of valor.

Openly cheering against the Sabres at the home games is counterproductive, and I say that for the same reasons I was against booing the team when we had that big debate two years ago.  How does it help?  Buffalo's selling point as an NHL city is that it's a great place to live and play hockey.  Take that away and what do we have?  And even the players that like it here weren't necessarily thrilled to come here at the time.

When I've gone the last two years, I've cheered the goals but quietly hoped we'd lose in regulation.  We have five more home games left this year -- and in the Tank in general.  Let's avoid turning our arena into a toxic waste dump for these players and just muddle through the rest of this season.

there are attractive big breasted women in Buffalo?  bull@#!t

Big breasted?  Sure.  Attractive, yeah.  But attractive *and* big breasted?  Hm...   :unsure:

(Kind of like down here in Texas.... there's Authentic Mexican food, Fine Mexican food, but you never see Fine Authentic Mexican food.)

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

there are attractive big breasted women in Buffalo?  bull@#!t

You should hangout in the Elmwood Village more.  Well, at least for the attractive part.  A good number of them have big butts and tight pants.  If you lurk outside a health food store, or a juice bar, you will be sure to see them.  Now you can look, but you cannot touch.  No, no, fellas.  Look all you like, but you must not touch.  

You should hangout in the Elmwood Village more.  Well, at least for the attractive part.  A good number of them have big butts and tight pants.  If you lurk outside a health food store, or a juice bar, you will be sure to see them.  Now you can look, but you cannot touch.  No, no, fellas.  Look all you like, but you must not touch.  

Look and file it in the spank bank ?

Had breakfast with my parents this morning.  My father mentioned that he heard that the fans were booing Lindback when he made saves the other night.  Is this true?

I didn't hear any of that, though it's possible it happened in another part of the arena.

Had breakfast with my parents this morning.  My father mentioned that he heard that the fans were booing Lindback when he made saves the other night.  Is this true?

I didn't hear any of that, though it's possible it happened in another part of the arena.

The BN had an article stating just that the other day; I for one find it embarrassing and shameful that our own fans would vocally cheer against the home team at a game.  Doing it here and silently hoping for it there is one thing, but doing it out loud at the FNC?  A new low.

The BN had an article stating just that the other day; I for one find it embarrassing and shameful that our own fans would vocally cheer against the home team at a game.  Doing it here and silently hoping for it there is one thing, but doing it out loud at the FNC?  A new low.

They aren't cheering against the team. They aren't. They are not rooting for the Sabres to fail. They are all genuinely rooting for what they believe to be the thing that will bring them closer to a championship within the rules of the game and the spirit in which those rules have been played for at least 2 decades. I wouldn't boo the saves, but I do not question their sense sportsmanship, sabres fandom, nor intelligence of the people who do.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.