Unforeseen consequences of the tank

Doohickie

A lot of butthurt on trade deadline day. It's to be expected because the team is halfway into rebuilding but still halfway into teardown mode. Hopefully by the first game of the coming season, the teardown will be a thing of the past and the Sabres will be improving by leaps and bounds.

There's a lot of tension in the fan base, not just here on SS but in general. A lot of people can see the merit in bottoming out for high draft picks but it's still difficult to witness.

But why? The problem is this: Even though the Old Core was rotten and had to go, we were quite attached to the individual members of that core. So we said goodbye to Pommer and Goose and Vanek and the rest. As flawed as they were, they carried the banner for Sabres hockey for several years. They were a game away from a Stanley Cup Finals appearance. For many fans, 2006 was the "Glory Years" of recent memory.

Stripped of that core though, we looked for the new core, the leaders of the team which would lead us to the future. We bonded with Ott, we rooted for Moulson, we cheered for Stewart. Then most of this transitional core has also been ripped away from us. Being a fan is (if done right) a very emotional experience. But how many forced breakups can you endure before you become a jaded lover? It's hard not to feel betrayed, especially when it leaves us in a worse spot (for the time being).

For some of us, it's shaken the very foundation of our love for the team. We hope GMTM is the savior, but if not, then what? I'm not sure we want to face the alternative.

So we've fallen into in-fighting. We question the leadership of the team, both on and off the ice. For most of us our fan-hearts are empty shells that have been trampled on and toyed with. We want a team we can love again. Even for the Tankers, this trade deadline has been rough. We've got the burnt embers of what was once a much-loved team, hoping that from the ashes a new Sabres team will emerge that will go to heights never seen by Buffalo sports fans. But the team is so formative right now, it's hard to tell if they'll ever fulfill the promise of the Tank.

So hang in there. It's not over yet, there will still be growing pains. But the Sabres have tried to win it all lots of different ways. Maybe this will finally work.

I think we knew this would be hard but we didn't realize it would be this hard.

My friend is accountant.  She does taxes.  Every tax season, she does not fail to mention certain thresholds for income, where one would increase their take home, by actually making less.

Last year, we were on brink of poverty.  This year, we do things right, make less, and get big reward.  

I always want to tell my friend, that it would be better to be outright rich.

Good stuff, NP. It's been hard to watch the team's futility the last few seasons, but even harder to watch them be torn down and to see what it's done to all of us as fans. The Sabres are Chris Brown, and we are Rihanna. I sincerely hope that analogy is no longer apt next season.

Good stuff, NP. It's been hard to watch the team's futility the last few seasons, but even harder to watch them be torn down and to see what it's done to all of us as fans. The Sabres are Chris Brown, and we are Rihanna. I sincerely hope that analogy is no longer apt next season.

Chris brown? Rihanna? I have no idea what that means?

It's hard now.

But living amongst Pens fans I can tell you that after 10 years they have no memory of tanking. They have flatly denied the whole mess that they were able to get Crosby and Melkin was a tank.  So as painful as it is now, it takes but a few years to forget the abuse we are going through now.

I am proud that as a Sabres fans we are realists, we will remember this time, and hope to never see it again. The Pens are doomed to relive it, as they won't admit to past failures.

My friend is accountant. She does taxes. Every tax season, she does not fail to mention certain thresholds for income, where one would increase their take home, by actually making less.

Last year, we were on brink of poverty. This year, we do things right, make less, and get big reward.

Nobody acknowledge this yet? Perfect summarization of our situation.

Pens fans have no recollection of tanking because they didn't tank to get Crosby. Sure after the Lemieux years they where some bad teams, but a lot of that had to also do with bankruptcy. They never intentionally gutted their team of competent talent in order to end up in 30th to get Crosby.

FACT, it wasn't possible to "TANK" for Crosby because there was no season played the year Crosby was drafted. They literally won the lottery to get him.

But believe what you want about how other teams have done what Buffalo is doing right now.....

Pens fans have no recollection of tanking because they didn't tank to get Crosby. Sure after the Lemieux years they where some bad teams, but a lot of that had to also do with bankruptcy. They never intentionally gutted their team of competent talent in order to end up in 30th to get Crosby.

FACT, it wasn't possible to "TANK" for Crosby because there was no season played the year Crosby was drafted. They literally won the lottery to get him.

But believe what you want about how other teams have done what Buffalo is doing right now.....

The owners of the Pens never paid Lemieux , they signed him to a rich contract and never paid him, he got the team for what they owed him plus he incurred the outstanding debt. They paid nothing in player salaries for years, blackmailed the city, county and state for a new arena. Where the worst team for a decade, but your right, they never tanked.

They just robbed the fans and Lemieux for a decade and left a bankrupt team. The entire region raised taxes to keep the Pens, but that is way more morally correct than what the Sabres are doing.

Edited by Woods-Racer

My friend is accountant.  She does taxes.  Every tax season, she does not fail to mention certain thresholds for income, where one would increase their take home, by actually making less.

Last year, we were on brink of poverty.  This year, we do things right, make less, and get big reward.  

actually, it's more like this year we take the remaining cash, savings and credit we have left to our name in order to buy lottery tickets to get out of debt...

If you would've watched any of the TSN broadcast you would realize how common tanking is. Ron Wilson said that he was once told by his GM to manipulate the lineup to lose. He was told not to tell the players but he had to do whatever it took. He wouldn't say what team he was coaching but this is his coaching career:

93-97 Anaheim

98-02 Washington

02-08 San Jose

09-12 - Toronto

I believe there were two other panelists that said they were a part of teams that tanked... It happens all the time. Chicago definitely did it. Pittsburgh did it for Lemiuex and then didn't, by any means, try to improve while they racked up high picks earlier in the 2000s. Let it go. It happens.

actually, it's more like this year we take the remaining cash, savings and credit we have left to our name in order to buy lottery tickets to get out of debt...

Well...  I guess you make good point.  

One hopes for best, but prepares for worst.

In this case, one hopes for best, and ensures for worst.

I said it before. If GMTM doesn't right this ship fans will turn on him and talented players Will not want to come here unless grossly overpaid. All this for one kid who is supposed to shoulder an increasing amount of pressure to carry the Sabres forward. To be honest I don't see why Stewart would want to return. We don't have much to trade for a decent goalie in the summer so for a short turn around in net it seems Neuvirth is the answer. However, what if the Isles or another team makes him an offer he can't refuse. An offer that makes being a backup not so bad. Seems like we are hoping Neuvirth ' desire to start outweighs his desire to be on a competitive team. Stewart wants to be on a contender not on a bottom feeder. McEichel will not entice established talent to play on such a young team. Look at all the high picks EDM has. Granted McEichel is projected to be a lot better but we never saw veteran players begging to play next to Hall or RNH. I was under the impression a rebuild consists of gradually adding difference makers. We let two go for bad returns.

I said it before. If GMTM doesn't right this ship fans will turn on him and talented players Will not want to come here unless grossly overpaid. All this for one kid who is supposed to shoulder an increasing amount of pressure to carry the Sabres forward. To be honest I don't see why Stewart would want to return. We don't have much to trade for a decent goalie in the summer so for a short turn around in net it seems Neuvirth is the answer. However, what if the Isles or another team makes him an offer he can't refuse. An offer that makes being a backup not so bad. Seems like we are hoping Neuvirth ' desire to start outweighs his desire to be on a competitive team. Stewart wants to be on a contender not on a bottom feeder. McEichel will not entice established talent to play on such a young team. Look at all the high picks EDM has. Granted McEichel is projected to be a lot better but we never saw veteran players begging to play next to Hall or RNH. I was under the impression a rebuild consists of gradually adding difference makers. We let two go for bad returns.

Is cathartic to say so, yes?

You listen to Conscience, yes?

You disobey Serpent, Rambo, yes?...

This is us:

Trotsky-Saint_George_allusion.png

If the sabres were found to be throwing games and actually tanking, then I would understand that hate.  Selling off UFAs and rebuilding?  I dont get it

I think you use this word "rebuilding" too liberally, Comrade Vlad Dangerslakov.  

Even Winnepeg is getting the better end of Murray's signature trade so far.  Cleary, we are still deconstructing.

Once you admit to yourself that we are deconstructing, things make much more sense, in my charmingly humble, non-aggressive opinion. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.