Unforeseen consequences of the tank

Doohickie

Ron Wilson said, when he was asked to tank, it was much harder than winning... I don't think a baboon could do it.

A baboon owner could do it.  I think baboon GM could tank too. 

Baboon coach, like Ron Wilson, would want to win making it much harder to lose. 

Baboon player would be total winner (failure in your language, tee hee).

Baboon is 3 times stronger than man, according to pre-eminent Soviet scientists.

They are tough to beat.

Baboons, however, do not make good front office decisions.

Baboons need brains - really smart folks with real integrity - like radio talk show hosts.  You can trust them.  They won't just say anything.   ;)

The Tank seems to be in good shape.  Only 3 wins out of 11 games played since the Feb 11th trade.    I was feeling a little worried when we racked up 2 useless wins back to back against the Blue Jackets and Vancouver, but.....   the trade decimated ranks of the Sabres, and the now almost complete absence of talent almost guarantee no more than 4-5 wins tops in the remaining 16 games.  

We should be fine.   

Edited by Jsixspd

Pens fans have no recollection of tanking because they didn't tank to get Crosby. Sure after the Lemieux years they where some bad teams, but a lot of that had to also do with bankruptcy. They never intentionally gutted their team of competent talent in order to end up in 30th to get Crosby.

FACT, it wasn't possible to "TANK" for Crosby because there was no season played the year Crosby was drafted. They literally won the lottery to get him.

But believe what you want about how other teams have done what Buffalo is doing right now.....

So you think a last place finish the year before the Crosby draft  and the number one pick netting them Fleury didnt help them get a better a chance at Crosby as far as chances to win the lottery?   And if that wasnt any kind of proof they hadnt gutted theyre team to grab high draft picks is  enough proof it was a tank job how bout the next year when theyre tanked team finished second to last and netted them Malkin..They had 3 drafts in a row where they drafted either first or second...Thank god Washington was even worse than them the year after Crosby or they wouldve had Fleury Crosby and Ovechkin...

So you think a last place finish the year before the Crosby draft  and the number one pick netting them Fleury didnt help them get a better a chance at Crosby as far as chances to win the lottery?   And if that wasnt any kind of proof they hadnt gutted theyre team to grab high draft picks is  enough proof it was a tank job how bout the next year when theyre tanked team finished second to last and netted them Malkin..They had 3 drafts in a row where they drafted either first or second...Thank god Washington was even worse than them the year after Crosby or they wouldve had Fleury Crosby and Ovechkin...

Finishing out of the playoffs the three seasons before the draft helped them in the lottery, just like it helped the Sabres. Order of finish the season before didn't matter. Ovechkin was the 2004 draft. Fleury was 2003 and Jordan Staal was 2006. Yeah, I had to look it up.

Were the Pens tanking for both Ovechkin and Crosby in 2003-2004? I don't know. Bottom line is that, as Tank points out, Pittsburgh was just lucky enough to get Crosby with their 6% chance, highest in the lottery along with Buffalo, Columbus and NYR.

What confuses me is the following language from the NHL regarding the lottery. Shouldn't Pittsburgh have lost a lottery ball for drafting Fleury first overall? (Edit: to answer my question, Florida had the first pick in 2003 and traded it to Pittsburgh.)

Under the weighted lottery system, the clubs that neither qualified for the Stanley Cup Playoffs in each of the 2001-02, 2002-03 and 2003-04 seasons, nor were awarded the first overall selection in each of the 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 Entry Drafts, had the greatest chance of receiving the first overall selection, 6.3 per cent. These clubs were the Penguins, Buffalo Sabres, Columbus Blue Jackets and New York Rangers.

Ten clubs met one of the seven criteria listed above and had a 4.2% chance of winning the Drawing, while the remaining 16 clubs met more than one of the criteria and had a 2.1% chance.

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

Dwight Drane's body lies a-molderin' in the grave / Dwight Drane's body lies a-molderin' in the grave / Dwight Drane's body lies a-molderin' in the grave, but his Soul goes Marching On!..

The avatars in Heaven are watching just the same / The avatars in Heaven are watching just the same / The avatars in Heaven are watching just the same o'er the Grave of old Dwight Drane!..

He captured First Niagara with his 7 knights so true / He frightened Kim Pegula till she trembled through and through / They banned him as a nuisance- they, themselves the nuisance grew!  His Soul goes Marching On!..

Well, he's gone to be a poster in the Aud Club of the Lord / He's gone to be a poster in the Aud Club of the Lord / He's gone to be a poster in the Aud Club of the Lord, but his Truth goes Marching On!

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord / He is trampling out the vintage where the Grapes of Wrath are stored / He hath loosed the fateful lightning of his terrible swift sword.  His Truth goes Marching On!

Glory, glory, hallelujah! / Glory, glory hallelujah! / Glory, glory, hellelujah!  His Soul goes Marching On!!

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.