OT: THE DOLLAR SHAVE CLUB

MILFHUNTER#518

So I shave my head twice a week. I can get tons of shaves out of each razor as my hair is fine. Is there a length of time, like cell phones, that I need to sign up or do it for a few months until I have enough stock to last me a few years then quit?

no contract or commitment, you can do that

This. I haven't used a blade in probably 20 years and I honestly can't imagine why anyone would go to all that trouble/mess/expense when Braun cordless electrics do such a great job.  Maybe it depends on the coarseness of one's facial hair, but mine feels pretty darn coarse after a day or two and my electric still gets it baby-butt smooth. 

Edited by cdexchange

I was using Gillette for the longest time.  Problem is, my facial hair is thick.  I use one cartridge per shave, and the skin irritation kills.  I tried about 3 or 4 other brands, and finally said eff it.  my fiance likes my beard, so I got a Remington edger/trimmer with the length guard and different heads (edger, buzzer, even a nose hair trimmer  :unsure: ), and that's all I've used the last 6 months.  

I was thinking of going to the straight blade though for those times I need to look professional.

So, I buy the Top Care brand which I am almost 100% positive is basically what these clubs are selling.  The only difference is I can waltz into Wegmans and buy them when I want.

The cost is not near the brands that shall not be named either.

I also don't shave often.. I should, but I don't. 

I wish they'd make a lady's version. Yes yes, I know, technically they're unisex razors, but let me tell you as a lady who can't stand prickly legs- cheap razors turn your skin into a bloody battlefield, no matter what shaving cream you use. We have a lot more area to cover, too, so even if you're careful with the cheapos, it takes forever. I spend an obscene amount of money each month on razor cartridges. And waxing is hell. That's a story for another day. 

They've got a monopoly on us ladies, insert social stigmas/hair arguments whatever here, and there's just got to be a better way. I'd be interested to know if any of your wives/lady friends/lady relatives use DSC and their opinions. I'm sick of paying 16 bucks for 4 cartridges.

I wish they'd make a lady's version. Yes yes, I know, technically they're unisex razors, but let me tell you as a lady who can't stand prickly legs- cheap razors turn your skin into a bloody battlefield, no matter what shaving cream you use. We have a lot more area to cover, too, so even if you're careful with the cheapos, it takes forever. I spend an obscene amount of money each month on razor cartridges. And waxing is hell. That's a story for another day. 

They've got a monopoly on us ladies, insert social stigmas/hair arguments whatever here, and there's just got to be a better way. I'd be interested to know if any of your wives/lady friends/lady relatives use DSC and their opinions. I'm sick of paying 16 bucks for 4 cartridges.

Lady Glass loves the DSC razors.

Editorial Note: I don't care how much area you have to cover, it's a smoother contour, it's not on your face, and you're not doing it backwards in a mirror.

Lady Glass loves the DSC razors.

Editorial Note: I don't care how much area you have to cover, it's a smoother contour, it's not on your face, and you're not doing it backwards in a mirror.

well... some parts.... are definitely a little more difficult to get to.  :ph34r:

Plus have you ever tried to shave with one of those pink lady razors? They are basically useless. I don't know how the ladies do it...

I use one that basically creates its own lather. It's pricey, but i did some number crunching and I actually save some bucks annually by not buying shaving cream. I was sick of the price and went down to a slightly cheaper version that had decent reviews and some shaving cream and could never get anything as smooth. 

Unfortunately, it is pink. It's the only pink product I own. I hate pink. Those disposable Bic razors? Worthless, unless you want to bleed yourself dry. 

Plus have you ever tried to shave with one of those pink lady razors? They are basically useless. I don't know how the ladies do it...

I have, and useless is what they are. I swear companies take junk men wouldn't buy, give it a "Lady" color and jack up the price.

That's why I was hoping there was some input on a female shave club ... Love it to be a Mrs. Racer B-Day gift, especially if taken one step further and do a little of the Birch Box concept and throw in some free samples with the razors every month.

I use one that basically creates its own lather. It's pricey, but i did some number crunching and I actually save some bucks annually by not buying shaving cream. I was sick of the price and went down to a slightly cheaper version that had decent reviews and some shaving cream and could never get anything as smooth. 

Unfortunately, it is pink. It's the only pink product I own. I hate pink. Those disposable Bic razors? Worthless, unless you want to bleed yourself dry.

If the best razor you could find came to you in the mail each month, that would be a good gift, right?

Or is on the same level as getting a girl a vacuum cleaner for her birthday?

Cause I'd never say no to a new shop vac, but I can get my own razors each month ... let's just say surprising Mrs. Racer has not gone well over the years with my logic... :doh:

Edited by Woods-Racer

So I shave my head twice a week. I can get tons of shaves out of each razor as my hair is fine. Is there a length of time, like cell phones, that I need to sign up or do it for a few months until I have enough stock to last me a few years then quit?

You have no issues with cuts or dings from DSC blades? I will definitely go that route if that's the case. I pay the premium price because a bleeding bald head is especially unattractive... followed closely by an empty wallet.

I have, and useless is what they are. I swear companies take junk men wouldn't buy, give it a "Lady" color and jack up the price.

That's why I was hoping there was some input on a female shave club ... Love it to be a Mrs. Racer B-Day gift, especially if taken one step further and do a little of the Birch Box concept and throw in some free samples with the razors every month.

If the best razor you could find came to you in the mail each month, that would be a good gift, right?

Or is on the same level as getting a girl a vacuum cleaner for her birthday?

Cause I'd never say no to a new shop vac, but I can get my own razors each month ... let's just say surprising Mrs. Racer has not gone well over the years with my logic... :doh:

I think you're treading on thin ice on this one. Housekeeping and hygiene gifts are dangerous, no matter how helpful or sensible they may be.

You have no issues with cuts or dings from DSC blades? I will definitely go that route if that's the case. I pay the premium price because a bleeding bald head is especially unattractive... followed closely by an empty wallet.

I don't use DSC razors yet, was putting out feelers.

My thoughts also, and so are most clothes, the only exceptions are outer wear, and how many jackets does one need? Back to the drawing board..

my 2c- I personally wouldn't mind a gift like that as long as we'd talked about it/it became common knowledge. It's sort of an "old married person" gift- where you just know the person well enough to know practicality outweighs being offended. d4rk doing something like that wouldn't shock me because he's heard me rant and kvetch about lady razors for a long time. Hell, I recently started using his for men's moisturizing lotion because i'm sick of breaking out with all the "luxurious" paste they provide for gals. Something useful/consumable? awesome. I don't need any more sparkly stuff/trinkets. 

But I know some girls who'd think something like that is pretty lame. "What does he think I am, a hairy wildebeest?" 

Everyone is different! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.