Trade Deadline 2015 (March 2nd, 3 p.m.)

Hoss

Well we might be left without a dance partner. Boston won't be looking to Stewart any longer.

The is a MASSIVE overpayment on Coburn. Ho-lee ######.

That's what I'm thinking. So if Murray can't move any of them or say he does and Stewart only fetches a third then what? Just saying our UFA's aren't that great.

Good, I don't want to deal with Boston anyway.

I would be shocked if Stewart was traded to Rival Boston. He might have a better chance of going to Ottawa. Let's hope Buffalo isn't stuck holding these guys and getting nothing for them.

Maybe Boston will trade Connolly to Buffalo for Stewart.

This was my initial reaction. Brett Connolly, IMO, doesn't fit the mold of a Bruins type player. It would make sense that the Bruins were offering picks for Stewart and the Sabres wanted that 'NHL ready prospect" which the Bruins didn't want to part with. So the Bruins go out and pickup another NHL ready prospect to move for Stewart.

That's what I'm thinking. So if Murray can't move any of them or say he does and Stewart only fetches a third then what? Just saying our UFA's aren't that great.

I would be shocked if Stewart was traded to Rival Boston. He might have a better chance of going to Ottawa. Let's hope Buffalo isn't stuck holding these guys and getting nothing for them.

There is always that chance that Tim Murray doesn't want to trade Stewart or Mitchell. They are great guys to have on the roster going forward. Murray may very well be of the mindset that he will listen to all offers, but not of the desperate mindset that he has to get at least something for them. If that is the case I certainly wouldn't blame Murray. Stewart on the roster has far more value than two 2nd round picks that Boston gave up for Connolly. I wasn't too keen on Mitchell early in the season, his recent play has displayed assets I would like to see the Sabres keep around. There is a lot of dead weight on the roster, I wouldn't consider Stewart or Mitchell part of it.

This was my initial reaction. Brett Connolly, IMO, doesn't fit the mold of a Bruins type player. It would make sense that the Bruins were offering picks for Stewart and the Sabres wanted that 'NHL ready prospect" which the Bruins didn't want to part with. So the Bruins go out and pickup another NHL ready prospect to move for Stewart.

There is always that chance that Tim Murray doesn't want to trade Stewart or Mitchell. They are great guys to have on the roster going forward. Murray may very well be of the mindset that he will listen to all offers, but not of the desperate mindset that he has to get at least something for them. If that is the case I certainly wouldn't blame Murray. Stewart on the roster has far more value than two 2nd round picks that Boston gave up for Connolly. I wasn't too keen on Mitchell early in the season, his recent play has displayed assets I would like to see the Sabres keep around. There is a lot of dead weight on the roster, I wouldn't consider Stewart or Mitchell part of it.

There is a reason every team unloads their UFA'S. In 19 games they are no longer on your team. So how is 19 games with Stewart better than 2 seconds? Isn't two seconds and going after Stewart on July 1 a little better idea?? Edited by sicknfla

That Boston trade was exactly the trade I wanted the Sabres to make at the draft. I thought Tampa would want Connolly for the playoff run.

From a Boston perspective that is a decent young power forward that will be relatively cheap as an RFA.

I worry GMTM held his hand too long. With players like glencross, Connolly and cole out there all being similar players it hurt stewarts value. I think what could really hurt this seasons tank job is everybody else's willingness to throw in the towel and sell.

What Murray ends up getting for Stewart is going to be a good indicator to us what kind of GM we have. Is he trying to make trades so lopsided that other GM's don't bother with him or is he a shrewd GM that doesn't flinch until he gets what he wants?

I have a feeling this deadline might end up being a learning experience for him.

That Boston trade was exactly the trade I wanted the Sabres to make at the draft. I thought Tampa would want Connolly for the playoff run.

From a Boston perspective that is a decent young power forward that will be relatively cheap as an RFA.

I worry GMTM held his hand too long. With players like glencross, Connolly and cole out there all being similar players it hurt stewarts value. I think what could really hurt this seasons tank job is everybody else's willingness to throw in the towel and sell.

We will see but I say Sabre comrads time to clear the cob webs with some good coffee and decide if they dont finish the tank should It be a referendum on Murray?

There is a reason every team unloads their UFA'S. In 19 games they are no longer on your team. So how is 19 games with Stewart better than 2 seconds? Isn't two seconds and going after Stewart on July 1 a little better idea??

Part of the sell to Stewart is the franchises willingness to commit to him. It's easier to keep him here than it would be to bring him back so why risk it. 2nd round picks are being tossed around like they're free. I have no doubt if Tim Murray wanted to end the day with 5-6 2nd round picks he easily could. Keeping Stewart in a Sabres uniform is far more valuable, it's really not even close. The tear down is already complete, it's time to build and Stewart is a great building block to keep around.

Part of the sell to Stewart is the franchises willingness to commit to him. It's easier to keep him here than it would be to bring him back so why risk it. 2nd round picks are being tossed around like they're free. I have no doubt if Tim Murray wanted to end the day with 5-6 2nd round picks he easily could. Keeping Stewart in a Sabres uniform is far more valuable, it's really not even close. The tear down is already complete, it's time to build and Stewart is a great building block to keep around.

I must be missing something.

Great building block?  He's a big speedy guy with some nice mitts.  He doesn't consistently win battles or crush opponents with his defense.  Long term, he's a 3rd liner.  Getting traded to a contender wouldn't indicate any bad blood between him and the Sabres.  If he wants to re-sign here, I'm sure he would prefer to play for a contender in the playoffs and net us more assets.

There is a reason every team unloads their UFA'S. In 19 games they are no longer on your team. So how is 19 games with Stewart better than 2 seconds? Isn't two seconds and going after Stewart on July 1 a little better idea??

Or Murray will re-sign them... that is also an option

What Murray ends up getting for Stewart is going to be a good indicator to us what kind of GM we have. Is he trying to make trades so lopsided that other GM's don't bother with him or is he a shrewd GM that doesn't flinch until he gets what he wants?

I have a feeling this deadline might end up being a learning experience for him.

This comment makes absolutely no sense to me.  This is Murray's 2nd trade deadline and he has already made a blockbuster hockey trade near this deadline. I think we have a pretty good idea of the type of GM he is and other GM's seem perfectly willing to work with him.  

Well its the day that we've been looking for:  The Stewart's, Mitchell's, Meszaros, etc are up on the chopping block.   I really though that Philly got the better of that deal for Coburn.  Some fans believe that they paid what Coburn is worth.  Well here's my feeling, he's been irrelevant for at least 2 plus years.

Or Murray will re-sign them... that is also an option

This comment makes absolutely no sense to me. This is Murray's 2nd trade deadline and he has already made a blockbuster hockey trade near this deadline. I think we have a pretty good idea of the type of GM he is and other GM's seem perfectly willing to work with him.

He made a questionable trade for Miller. Another questionable trade for Fasching. The Winnipeg deal I think will work out.

My point was - come deadline time GM'S want to get deals done. This year it is apparent they do not want to wait until 2:55. If Murray has been asking for a kings ransom and these guys have simply moved in a different direction then he will learn from it.

My opinion - in the moves he has made so far he has overpaid. So now if he has to sell for less you are right- other GM'S are willing to deal with him.

Edited by sicknfla

He made a questionable trade for Miller. Another questionable trade for Fasching. The Winnipeg deal I think will work out.

My point was - come deadline time GM'S want to get deals done. This year it is apparent they do not want to wait until 2:55. If Murray has been asking for a kings ransom and these guys have simply moved in a different direction then he will learn from it.

The Fasching trade I personally love.  We traded 2 2nds and McNabb for Fashcing and Deslauriers,  Deslauriers alone is making that trade worth it.

Miller netted us Stewart who we are currently discussing and a 2015 pick which helped us get Kane so I disagree, again about that.

We do not know what Murray is planning or who he is talking to.  Right now Stewart's value has never been higher because any team who wants a solid RW has about 1 option and again Murray does not have to make the trade.  The power in any relationship lies with who cares least, Murray cares least.

Personally I think we see Stewart and a late pick to Boston for Connolly and a earlier pick.  

My opinion - in the moves he has made so far he has overpaid. So now if he has to sell for less you are right- other GM'S are willing to deal with him.

If those previous trades were questionable (ie Murray didn't get the value he should have), why are you also worried about him holding out for a king's ransom?  Those two issues are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. 

If those previous trades were questionable (ie Murray didn't get the value he should have), why are you also worried about him holding out for a king's ransom? Those two issues are on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Because if he waited too long and the teams went in a different direction then he may be left without a dance partner. I guess we will know in a little more than 6 hours.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.