Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

Who knows what contract the Peg was offering at that time, again he was an RFA, and the contract he did sign puts him right in his prime when he becomes a UFA to sign another big deal. 

The fact the Sedins are up that season makes it even more likely, as the Canucks should have a lot of free cap space opening that off season.  This is the Sedin's last contract, they are heading back to Sweden when its done.

Sell-offs dont always make teams worse...young players and players who are in contract years playing for a job often excel when given the chance.

For what it's worth I hope he lights it up and is a superstar over the next few seasons.  Let's be real.  If he wants a pay day at UFA status he's going to be determined to perform.  So the Sabres would get his performance.

So it plays out like this.  Kane performs to a point where the Sabres want to keep him.  They offer to extend him.  He turns it down.  He now becomes a great player on the block to another team for a run that the Sabres can flip for first round picks/other players to help maintain their prospect pool.

I'm not seeing a downside here.  If the Sabres are in a position to keep him through a trade deadline and let him walk away from nothing I am guessing that we'll all be ecstatic as fans.

That and to tell us that our new player is going to leave in three years. I don't know, it seems kind of early to start waiving that one around.

Guy hasn't even set foot in Buffalo yet.   ;)

Fans always assume everyone wants to return to their hometown.  I don't think players think the ways fans do.  A good situation and winning team can trump everything (e.g., Patrick Kane).  And, three years is a lot of time.

Fans always assume everyone wants to return to their hometown.  I don't think players think the ways fans do.  A good situation and winning team can trump everything (e.g., Patrick Kane).  And, three years is a lot of time.

We've been saying Kane would go home for years now. Maybe we just named the wrong Kane.

Welcome to the board.  I would guess that even though your agenda differs from most of ours regarding what happens in the summer of 2018, you'll be rooting for Kane in the meantime -so please stop by anytime.

Serious question:  why do you think Kane's role and scoring declined over the past few seasons?  I'm pretty psyched about the trade but would like to be reassured by someone who's watched him more than I have.

I think he will get a better chance in Buffalo to show what he can do.  Obviously he has been plagued by injuries as of late, and did not get along with management or his teammates.  Given the change of scenery and downtime to finally rehab over the summer I could easily see him return to score 30 goals next season.

In three years ........he can remind us of that in three years. X. Benedict, on 12 Feb 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

Ill come back in 3 years and we will see how it plays out :).  

Evander is a different character though, he really wants to be close to his mom and has said over and over again that he wants to play in Vancouver.  He grew up in one of the greatest cities in the world to live in, I dont think it would be unrealistic he would want to return.  Unless the Canucks have zero interest in bringing him, that could be the only roadblock..

I'm not trolling, I just found the trade perplexing so wanted to come get some insight from Sabres fans.  I thought Buffalo was in a prime position looking 5 years down the road when all of these top prospects and picks hit their prime, but maybe there is pressure to start performing sooner.

On an unrelated note I love how this board combines your quoted replies into a single message if you do them one after another.

I think he will get a better chance in Buffalo to show what he can do.  Obviously he has been plagued by injuries as of late, and did not get along with management or his teammates.  Given the change of scenery and downtime to finally rehab over the summer I could easily see him return to score 30 goals next season.

Evander is a different character though, he really wants to be close to his mom and has said over and over again that he wants to play in Vancouver.  He grew up in one of the greatest cities in the world to live in, I dont think it would be unrealistic he would want to return.  Unless the Canucks have zero interest in bringing him, that could be the only roadblock..

I'm not trolling, I just found the trade perplexing so wanted to come get some insight from Sabres fans.  I thought Buffalo was in a prime position looking 5 years down the road when all of these top prospects and picks hit their prime, but maybe there is pressure to start performing sooner.

On an unrelated note I love how this board combines your quoted replies into a single message if you do them one after another.

I think everyone over estimates the home-town effect. In a few years Vancouver will (presumably) basically be on the decline, whereas Buffalo will be hitting its stride. The chance of winning a cup probably outweighs seeing your home a bit more often. Plus as a player, would you rather have McDavid feeding you pucks or Bo Horvat

Hardly trolling. He's arguing the team is BETTER than we think.  :lol:

Hope he reads the CHL thread. He won't understand his own logic!

If the hockey deem us worthy of McDavid, Kane will score 53 goals next year. 

Three years from now is an eternity in sports and those kind of things tend not to work out. Look how many Toronto kids say it is their dream to play for the Leafs. well yes it is a dream as a kid. Once they become adults and realize all the pressure they would have to endure they sign somewhere else.

I can offer you Patrick Kane as a Buffalo example. Of course mega bucks and a great team play a large factor in that and that will be the scene in Buffalo for Evander Kane three years from now. Great team, mega buck offer and a city that adores him and he is

extremely comfortable in.

You won't see Evander in a Canucks uniform until he is 36 years old when he can fulfill the dream of being a Canuck. If ever.

Three years from now is an eternity in sports and those kind of things tend not to work out. Look how many Toronto kids say it is their dream to play for the Leafs. well yes it is a dream as a kid. Once they become adults and realize all the pressure they would have to endure they sign somewhere else.

There are way too many players in the NHL who were Leafs fans growing up for them to all play for the Leafs.  

Lots of kids have no interest playing for their hometown, but the Canucks have had a good track record of bringing a lot of them on the team.  I dont think Reinhart has any desire to come to Vancouver, has never given me a reason to think that...Kane is another story though.

There are way too many players in the NHL who were Leafs fans growing up for them to all play for the Leafs.  

Lots of kids have no interest playing for their hometown, but the Canucks have had a good track record of bringing a lot of them on the team.  I dont think Reinhart has any desire to come to Vancouver, has never given me a reason to think that...Kane is another story though.

who did they bring home?

Any sense that Vancouver was in on E. Kane? 

Either way, we don't really know what Kane's value will be in 3 years or if Benning (or whoever) Vancouver will have any interest. 

Either way, we don't really know what Kane's value will be in 3 years or if Benning (or whoever) Vancouver will have any interest.

It's way too early to even be having this discussion given all that can happen over that time. What we do know is that there is a very highly likely case where Kane is going to be skating next to a very good young center. Whether it is McEichel or even Reinhart, if some chemistry is formed there, he could very well be producing career numbers. You'd have to think that there would be a desire to continue skating on that center's line as he (the center) enters his prime.

They were, quite hard, according to Vancouver media.

Apparently, the Canucks weren't willing to include Virtanen or Horvat and therefore couldn't match Buffalo's offer.

I expect Myers will look good on a team that executes a better possession system.

I am really sick of the flip the puck high in the air to center style of our possession. That changes next season.