Meet the Pres events

beerme1

Anyone attended any of the Ted Black get togethers before a game? These are for season ticket holders and in groups of 40 or so for an hour before certain games.

I got a call regarding attending one.

Judge Smell was called and appeared.

This is true (although I'm going to resist accepting the Judge sobriquet).

I was somewhat (very) unclear on what the agenda was, so the event wound up seeming sort of strange to me. IIRC, the invitation was extended within days/weeks of the PLF kerfluffle. As a result, I inferred (wrongly) that the meet and greet was called in the wake of the PR debacle. 

Anyhoo. Craig Patrick also attended ours. So that was swell.

The setting was a little odd -- the space where they hold it (on, like, a balcony overlooking the Harbour Club) is not conducive to TB addressing those assembled.

But, there's a top-shelf bar and the food is quite good. So, I say eat and drink all that you can. It's the least they can do for you, given that you're a STH of an historically bad team.

One last thing: That president's reception was where it became crystal clear to me that they were going to tank and tank hard. TB expressly said that the club could make enough moves for this season in order to be a potential bubble team, but they were choosing not to do that. He said they wanted "off the treadmill of mediocrity." Those were his exact words, I believe.

Have fun. And report back!

Edited by That Aud Smell

Thanks for the info. I'm kind of lost as to the interaction. Am I supposed to bitch about the things I have bitched about for years that they have never addressed or the ones that they have addressed and neglected again? Or do I not have a voice Aud?

Maybe this is the perfect time for once in my life to just shut my mouth and partake of the top shelf bar and food. Wife will absolutely kill me if I go off on the tangent that I would want to go off about lol.

And most all of that would be about arena ops and experience. Maybe if their plowing me with top shelf goods I will enjoy the moment and let it be.

I can't do the game they offered me and will pick a substitute game.

p.s. Aud, it better not be on that balcony area. It's cold outside man. It's really f'n cold outside. Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I'm kind of lost as to the interaction. Am I supposed to bitch about the things I have bitched about for years that they have never addressed or the ones that they have addressed and neglected again? Or do I not have a voice Aud?

Maybe this is the perfect time for once in my life to just shut my mouth and partake of the top shelf bar and food. Wife will absolutely kill me if I go off on the tangent that I would want to go off about lol.

And most all of that would be about arena ops and experience. Maybe if their plowing me with top shelf goods I will enjoy the moment and let it be.

I can't do the game they offered me and will pick a substitute game.

p.s. Aud, it better not be on that balcony area. It's cold outside man. It's really f'n cold outside. Thanks!

Glad this was helpful. I'll try to answer your questions in turn: I recall TB welcoming all comers, and encouraging people to speak their minds. I will admit: I found myself just a little gun shy when my moment came. Part of that was because I was not prepared for what the event would be. It was not my best moment.

In terms of what's fair game, I'd say just pick an issue that (1) is near and dear to you and (2) is easily phrased in a strong and persuasive way (i.e., it doesn't take a long wind-up or a bunch of foundation and context). When we were there, TB had one half of the crowed and CP had the other. There was a Q&A session as amongst your group, and then a few minutes for one-on-one time afterward. You can ask to be heard in either setting, based on my experience. I also think that you may actually get real traction if you have a well-considered issue regarding in-game operations -- that's right in his wheelhouse.

As for where it is hosted: The "balcony" I am talking about is inside the arena, and overlooks the inside of the Harbour Club. Look at the upper right hand part of the photo below.

20100514-LG-100LvlHC.jpg

Again, thanks for the helpful info. We eat on that balcony if we cant get a table and they can close that off so that area would make sense. Appreciate everything. I will have to pick an item and focus on it rather than ramble about all my gripes.

• 1 month later...

Doing this Meet tonight. Only thing I can come with for a personal topic without coming across as an angry season ticket holder is questioning the home color jersey. I grew up as we all did with the home team wearing white and would so much prefer that. Teams like Chicago's road uni's are really cool and we never see them.

So if I get only a couple minutes of personal time I guess I can ask about that issue without being an a hole about all the things I want to be an a hole about instead. Any other suggestions?

Back to my question to Aud as to a topic, if I go with arena ops questions, it leads me into a dangerous path as I will get testy about things they don't do and maintain etc. I'll get angry, he'll get antsy and the outcome won't be any good. I'd like to see a band playing like MSG has. Instead we get twin city village garbage totes doing the shuffle on the scoreboard. I HATE that! The crowd gets into it though lol.

Maybe just the jerseys huh?

Doing this Meet tonight. Only thing I can come with for a personal topic without coming across as an angry season ticket holder is questioning the home color jersey. I grew up as we all did with the home team wearing white and would so much prefer that. Teams like Chicago's road uni's are really cool and we never see them.

So if I get only a couple minutes of personal time I guess I can ask about that issue without being an a hole about all the things I want to be an a hole about instead. Any other suggestions?

Back to my question to Aud as to a topic, if I go with arena ops questions, it leads me into a dangerous path as I will get testy about things they don't do and maintain etc. I'll get angry, he'll get antsy and the outcome won't be any good. I'd like to see a band playing like MSG has. Instead we get twin city village garbage totes doing the shuffle on the scoreboard. I HATE that! The crowd gets into it though lol.

Maybe just the jerseys huh?

The home-away color system is mandated by the NHL, so there's not much the Sabres can do other than play more games opposite (I'm not sure if there's a limit on the number of games they're allowed to do that). If you like, discuss royal blue vs. the current midnight blue. I don't have strong feelings either way, but I wouldn't mind going back to royal blue. I don't mind the silver either. :)

Edited by Met'yuPirog

The home-away color system is mandated by the NHL, so there's not much the Sabres can do other than play more games opposite (I'm not sure if there's a limit on the number of games they're allowed to do that). If you like, discuss royal blue vs. the current midnight blue. I don't have strong feelings either way, but I wouldn't mind going back to royal blue. I don't mind the silver either. :)

I know it's a league thing and I know he's heard this issue before. I would see if he's approached the league about it and I wonder why they ever switched to begin with and what his feelings on it are. Would expect to hear we're having jersey fatigue yadda yadda so no changes...

I would so much prefer the royal blue. I do hate the silver though and this is a good point to me. The royal shows up as blue on the tv where the midnight looks black most of the time and the silver sweat pits have no place. Thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup:

I know it's a league thing and I know he's heard this issue before. I would see if he's approached the league about it and I wonder why they ever switched to begin with and what his feelings on it are. Would expect to hear we're having jersey fatigue yadda yadda so no changes...

I would so much prefer the royal blue. I do hate the silver though and this is a good point to me. The royal shows up as blue on the tv where the midnight looks black most of the time and the silver sweat pits have no place. Thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup:

League said it was because teams want to wear their 3rds at home and most are dark. Road teams would have to pack both sets when going on multi game road trips. (Pain for equipment staff and extra $'s in baggage expenses.) So league decided to switch back to pre-1970 system of wearing darks at home.

I think the jersey thing is the perfect topic to ask about. Like others have said, I don't know if he can do anything more than ask the league about switching to home whites (Taro's point about 3rds may nullify that though). But if you bring up going back to the original blues I think he may be pretty enthusiastic and willing to discuss that. Plus, it lets him know, if he doesn't already, how badly we want it.

I'd go ahead and ask him what a STH's expectations should be for next season - in terms of points, place-finish, etc.

Or, stated another way, ask him whether the franchise has a calendar date or future season circled as the date by which the team should contend for a Cup.

Or, stated yet another way, is there a shelf life to the suffering? How much more patience should the fans be expected to have?

I'd go ahead and ask him what a STH's expectations should be for next season - in terms of points, place-finish, etc.

I asked Buddy Nix a question like that about the Bills once. Something like could we expect to see ten wins that season?

He wouldn't touch it for nothing. Wouldn't get into the prediction business... I imagine Ted would offer the same, We are trying to improve and have big expectations next year etc

I asked Buddy Nix a question like that about the Bills once. Something like could we expect to see ten wins that season?

He wouldn't touch it for nothing. Wouldn't get into the prediction business... I imagine Ted would offer the same, We are trying to improve and have big expectations next year etc

You are probably right. I'd just love someone to ask him a pointed question that follows up on what he said last year -- about how the franchise was stepping off the "treadmill of mediocrity" (I think that was his turn of phrase) in favor of building a formidable team with top-end talent. I'd just want to know: How far along are you in that process? Is the team eyeing the top of the draft in 2016?

You are probably right. I'd just love someone to ask him a pointed question that follows up on what he said last year -- about how the franchise was stepping off the "treadmill of mediocrity" (I think that was his turn of phrase) in favor of building a formidable team with top-end talent. I'd just want to know: How far along are you in that process? Is the team eyeing the top of the draft in 2016?

This turned out to be really cool. The Friedge was there and Zemgus as well for twenty minutes or so. Teds wife and son were there as well. There was no private questioning it just kind of went to a free for all and they offered to let us do the rope line but because of the questioning we missed it lol.  

They gave some cool hates with season ticket holder embroidered on the strap, I got an autographed Zemgus jersey, three beers (important) wife a glass of wine and some answers.

Ted was big on explaining things. Pitt, Chicago did it right. Some teams start the process and due to pressure from fans, owners etc give up on it and pick up a name FA and bust the plan. They tried the FA route by signing someone whose name will not be mentioned and it made it clear to them they need to build through the draft. GMTM is rink rat and has them on the right path. Pegualas have been here four years now, and after the fa whose name will not be said, Peguala realized the way they have to go to build.

Kim Pegs took Bettman upstairs last time he was here after his presser to remind him we are coming up on ten years since the ice bowl and we want another.

Ted was asked about college players and gave some interesting answers. Was asked about Penn State but not about the guy the Leafs signed and we didn't. Said they do look at college ranks seriously but understand some guys are 25 years old. It may help playing against older guys for Eichel but some others have peaked at that level.

They are equally big on Eichel vs McDavid and not concerned if they end up at 3 or 4. I wish I had time to express a lot more opinion but there just isn't enough time and people being people, some like to hear themselves talk and ask stupid questions. That's where I come in :rolleyes:

Home whites, royal blue and silver piping. I did get my questions in when we were running short on time. On home whites he had an interesting take. Said that when they switched to road uni's for home they were ecstatic in Pittsburgh. Being in Pitt it was seen as a coup to be able to don black and gold a la steelers. Has had his eyes opened about jerseys since being here and has been surprised at how much it means to fans. explained the yadda yadda I expected, retail sale vs wholesale who gets what revenue... 

Has spoken to the league about it, thinks the midnight blue looks classy and expects they will be doing something for the 50th anniversary switching t original colors or something.

Gotta run.

Oh he did temper expectations for next year. He said even though they got Crosby in pitt everyone expected them to go win a cup the next year and they missed the playoffs even with him. Dude beside me shakes his head and says ya but how many cuos has Crosby won. Ted's response was, well one and I want that one. Good line.

Good story.

They are equally big on Eichel vs McDavid and not concerned if they end up at 3 or 4. 

Pardon me, but what the .

I can imagine if they're in the "it's all going to be ok no matter what happens" or "we have no control over our place in the standings- the players do" mentalities.  The questions are if they're equally big on the guys available at 3 or 4 (of course they're not) and whether can they justify that (they can't).  The blue print calls for taking shots at drafting elite talent.  Not very good talent.  We have an opportunity presented to us and we need to execute.

Good story.

Pardon me, but what the ######.

I can imagine if they're in the "it's all going to be ok no matter what happens" or "we have no control over our place in the standings- the players do" mentalities.  The questions are if they're equally big on the guys available at 3 or 4 (of course they're not) and whether can they justify that (they can't).  The blue print calls for taking shots at drafting elite talent.  Not very good talent.  We have an opportunity presented to us and we need to execute.

Understood. He said it very matter factly though. Elliot Friedman was in the room most of the time and maybe it was for his consumption.

Cause Ted say we could speak freely once Elliot left lol. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.