Better call Saul

bunomatic

Definitely. They also are the beneficiaries to having a lot of characters already developed.

Great point. I would add that these writers have evolved to the point where they can finish each others' sentences, too. Just a far tighter production from the outset.

Kim pissed me off last night and I wonder how much longer Jimmy will abide her hypocrisy. She was laughing about the ruse he played on the cops and then gets all sanctimonious about the video. Guess it is OK to lie to the police but not OK to manufacture the evidence to support that lie.

When Jimmy eventually drives Kim away its going to emotionally wreck me. I know some people say she'll die or something, but I honestly think that'd be letting him and us off easy. She's going to have to leave him, and its going to be awful.

Great point. I would add that these writers have evolved to the point where they can finish each others' 

sandwiches!

Great point. I would add that these writers have evolved to the point where they can finish each others' sentences, too. Just a far tighter production from the outset.

Kim pissed me off last night and I wonder how much longer Jimmy will abide her hypocrisy. She was laughing about the ruse he played on the cops and then gets all sanctimonious about the video. Guess it is OK to lie to the police but not OK to manufacture the evidence to support that lie.

I mean, kind of. Especially as a lawyer. 

When Jimmy eventually drives Kim away its going to emotionally wreck me. I know some people say she'll die or something, but I honestly think that'd be letting him and us off easy. She's going to have to leave him, and its going to be awful.

I think she's driving him away. You don't think he doesn't see through her swings in affection based on how much money he has? Let me play qwk here: Kim's cup just doesn't fit new cup holder in Jimmy's life.

Interesting that both cars bid their fond adieu in this episode.

I think she's driving him away. You don't think he doesn't see through her swings in affection based on how much money he has? Let me play qwk here: Kim's cup just doesn't fit new cup holder in Jimmy's life.

Very nice

There was a nice callback to the Chicago Sunroof when he was checking out his new Mercedes.

Good catch, PA.

And good analysis of the cupholder in Jimmy's life now. Loved how he forced it for a second and then just casually tossed the cup into the passenger seat. He discarded it like I think he's gonna discard Kim. He just kept eating that pie while just looking right at her.

Edited by K-9

Ehhh, I think we're close to each other here, but not quite on. I think she really does care for him, but wants him to be successful. Its not that she wants money, she's a lawyer too (though he probably jumped ahead of here at the new firm), not to mention smart and attractive; finding a rich hubby would not be an issue for her if thats all she wanted. However, Jimmy could certainly interpret that way, which would cause him to push her off. I think she wants him to be a success for himself, and she also wants him to be a part of her world *cues up Little Mermaid music* so they can go through it all together. 

Edited by sabills

Ehhh, I think we're close to each other here, but not quite on. I think she really does care for him, but wants him to be successful. Its not that she wants money, she's a lawyer too (though he probably jumped ahead of here at the new firm), not to mention smart and attractive; finding a rich hubby would not be an issue for her if thats all she wanted. However, Jimmy could certainly interpret that way, which would cause him to push her off. I think she wants him to be a success for himself, and she also wants him to be a part of her world *cues up Little Mermaid music* so they can go through it all together. 

She is attractive, but what's going on with the Gramma upper lip?

I can buy what you're selling. Maybe instead of money I should have said she is interested in his status. When he was working to become a lawyer, their relationship heated up. When he was in the back of the cucumber water spa, not so much. Big time lawyer at Davis & Main? Footsie time.

Good catch, PA.

And good analysis of the cupholder in Jimmy's life now. Loved how he forced it for a second and then just casually tossed the cup into the passenger seat. He discarded it like I think he's gonna discard Kim. He just kept eating that pie while just looking right at her.

Yep. I think that was the beginning of the end of those two. He wants her to love Slippin' Jimmy.

Did anyone else think the scene in the lobby with Chuck and Jimmy, where Jimmy takes the call from Mike, was the worst of the series so far? Chuck is there to "bear witness" and Jimmy is all, "Oh, Imma get you! You just watch" and trudges off. It was pretty heavy handed.

Kim is attracted to Jimmy's dark side. She smiled at the billboard scam and the tequila scam started their current relationship. The thing that bothered her the most about falsifying evidence wasn't that it was "wrong," but that Jimmy is putting himself at risk for no reason.

Jimmy doesn't really have a handle on the finer points of the law. He's determined to do what he wants, and all of this gets filed under "small stuff." He's getting carried away and thought that he could be himself (whatever that currently means for Jimmy) around Kim. Falsifying evidence is certainly more dangerous than getting Kenwins to pay their bar bill, but to Jimmy it feels like Kim is sending mixed messages.

One reason Jimmy took the Davis and Main job is probably to be more datable to Kim. We saw how much it meant to her to be working side by side with Jimmy. Kim thinks that being a successful lawyer is important to Jimmy, but is finding out that he really meant it when he said "Wouldn't it be fun if we could do that every night?"

Man, how great is it to have TV worth analyzing, right?

I think the Slippin' Jimmy stuff is also his way of blowing off steam. The way Ed Begley Jr. was playing guitar in his office, and said "Everybody's gotta have something" or whatever. The schemey stuff is like an old glove to Jimmy, and slipping (hur hur) into it is like going home for a bit when the office gets to stuffy. I think we'll see him rely on it more and more. Eventually, Saul Goodman will become his best/worst of both worlds scenario.

Edited by sabills

Another excellent episode. 

FWIW, I don't think Jimmy's increased earnings potential was the key factor in Kim's increased attraction to him -- it was him going straight and becoming respectable, instead of a self-destructive scam artist.  And when she found out about the pie video, she was turned off not because of fear of losing the cash, but because she realized that he couldn't help himself -- that it was in his nature to keep breaking the rules in such a way that eventually he would get caught and lose everything (which, as we know, turned out to be a valid concern).

Great mini-arc on the baseball cards, and great scene with Mike and the drug dealer at the upholstery shop.  He is a scary dude.

As for the comparisons with "Breaking Bad" -- they are a bit apples-and-oranges.  BB was a much heavier, more serious show, IMHO, while BCS is quite a bit funnier and more lighthearted.  However, the point about BCS having the benefit of BB getting up to peak sharpness is a good one.

Separately, I'm a bit concerned about Jonathan Banks (the actor, not his Ehrmantrout character).  I thought he really looked like hell in that episode.  I hope he's OK.

Another excellent episode.

FWIW, I don't think Jimmy's increased earnings potential was the key factor in Kim's increased attraction to him -- it was him going straight and becoming respectable, instead of a self-destructive scam artist. And when she found out about the pie video, she was turned off not because of fear of losing the cash, but because she realized that he couldn't help himself -- that it was in his nature to keep breaking the rules in such a way that eventually he would get caught and lose everything (which, as we know, turned out to be a valid concern).

Great mini-arc on the baseball cards, and great scene with Mike and the drug dealer at the upholstery shop. He is a scary dude.

As for the comparisons with "Breaking Bad" -- they are a bit apples-and-oranges. BB was a much heavier, more serious show, IMHO, while BCS is quite a bit funnier and more lighthearted. However, the point about BCS having the benefit of BB getting up to peak sharpness is a good one.

Separately, I'm a bit concerned about Jonathan Banks (the actor, not his Ehrmantrout character). I thought he really looked like hell in that episode. I hope he's OK.

Definitely agree on the Kim point. She's in love with jim McGill not slipping Jimmy. Mike Ehrmantrout might be my favorite character of all time on TV. He's just awesomely scary. Knowing his fate is somewhat heartbreaking.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.