2015 IIHF World Juniors

WildCard

The 2015 IIHF Word Junior Championship begins this Friday, December 26th. The first games that day are USA vs. Finland at 3:00 pm, and Slovakia vs. Canada at 8:00 pm. Both games are in the Bell Centre.

The host team Canada looks to bounce back from a disappointing 2014 showing in Sweden where they finished 4th. Although they won their group, Canada ultimately couldn't seem to put it together against the Zadorov and Grigorenko led Russians, losing to Russia 1-2 in the 3rd place game.

The USA is also looking forward to a better tournament this time around; after a strong preliminary showing in the group stage, going 3-1-0 with a 2-3 loss against group winner Canada (hell of a game too), the States were bounced in the first round of the knockout stage, losing 5-3 to Russia.

The defending Champions, Finland, look to get back to the top again this year, after winning it all against host country Sweden 3-2 OT, in memorable fashion,

19XyOVs.gif

Rasmus-Ristolainen-left-and-Ville-Pokka-celebrate-the-WJC-triumph-Ludvig-Thunham-The-Associated-Press.jpg

Tons of talent in this year's tournament too. With a loaded 2015 draft class set to hit their biggest stage yet, and some returning 2014 draft vets such as Samson Reinhart and maybe Nikita Zadorov looking to showcase their development, this tournament has it all. Eichel vs. McDavid in Canada. Can it get any better folks?

Here is the full schedule

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=744492&navid=nhl:topheads

Edited by WildCard

I still can't believe Baptiste got cut. But then again Canada also cut Dal Cole who has scored 21 goals in 23 games and is on a 2.0 point per game pace. Either there are a ton of politics going on or this Team Canada is going to be very very dangerous to have enough talent to cut those two.

I still can't believe Baptiste got cut. But then again Canada also cut Dal Cole who has scored 21 goals in 23 games and is on a 2.0 point per game pace. Either there are a ton of politics going on or this Team Canada is going to be very very dangerous to have enough talent to cut those two.

Canada's selection process is always in question. They seem to try to fill roles on the team so they end up cutting some kids with high level offensive skill for more defensive players. That's helps if you're playing a long grinding month long tournament, but they only play a handful of games over a couple of weeks. A hot goalie and some goal scorers can take you far in a short tournament.

I thought Bailey deserved a shot on team USA, but he's only recently been hot, so probably wasn't on the radar long enough like some of the other prospects.

Nice test for USA coming out of the box against the defending champs.

This just in: Eichel is good.

Fasching skates better than I imagined and is very effective on the PK. Hustles all the time.

Didn't see enough of Compher, though.

Liked Auston Matthews as well. Only 17 and won't be draft eligible until '16, but I can see why he made the squad over some older players.

Larkin has nice wheels as well. Any deal with Detroit needs to include him.

GO SABRES!!!

US actually doesn't look very good to me. Completely out of sync with each other at times. Talent is clear but there isn't a lick of chemistry yet.

I agree. I'll chalk it up to first game jitters and lack of playing time. Eichel looked average.

Butcher saved the game for the US

I had never seen Eichel before and I thought he looked really good, even with all the hype.

Tricky little play to set up the first goal with a nice pass to Tuch. Controls play most of the time on the ice. Like that he isn't opposed to mixing it up when challenged. He didn't disappoint in the least.

I had never seen Eichel before and I thought he looked really good, even with all the hype.

Tricky little play to set up the first goal with a nice pass to Tuch. Controls play most of the time on the ice. Like that he isn't opposed to mixing it up when challenged. He didn't disappoint in the least.

True he set up the goal, but outside of him skating around ALOT with the puck, he didn't stand out in my eyes. His shots on goal were all easy saves. He passed a lot on the power play. Now Ehlers for the Danes, he was all that and then some. I was expecting Eichel to dominate like Ehlers did.

Ehlers threw the puck away in his own zone that lead to the tying goal. And his team lost.

Ehlers can play, no doubt but Denmark only has one legit line. He had to play lights out.

To imply the Danes lost because of Ehlers is disingenuous. He was the best player on the ice in that game.

No one really stood out to me on the US except Hanifan.

It was a big win for the US against the Fins.

That story NHL Network did on McDavid has sold me. The team that lands him will definitely turn the corner from pretender to contender.

Edited by wjag

I was implying that he was more noticeable because he had to be for the Danes to have a shot. Eichel has more support and can use it. Eichel infuriated the Finns in their own end. We simply define dominate differently.

Tha shot of his billet family and the kid in the Sabres shirt is an omen...I hope :worthy:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.