Do they cancel the Sabres/Sharks tomorrow? Nope.

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Everything is fine right now. We just don't have a way to help him make sure his furnace vent stays clear. Emergency services are pretty overloaded right now. he'd be really low on the priority list.

I wish neighbors were an option but they are all older as well and would have the same challenges he would.

I could try to get there tomorrow afternoon for you.

Yea, I quit. Shoveled out the walkway from the doors so if God feels like dumping on me some more and decides it would be a good time for the place to burn down, I can easily get out. Took 3 hours. I've lived in the area my entire life and I have never seen anything like this with respect to how fast it came down and how much more we're still expected to get.

:)

That's where I am. I am treating this like a war. I gave up 80% of the driveway to keep an 8 foot trench, the front porch and walkway, and side of the house with concrete. It gives me 3 of 4 exits.

There hasn't been a plow, and I would think at this point with almost 5 feet, it's National Guard? I was worried about my mailbox at first, but they are all covered so it doesn't matter.

Man oh man... I just can't wrap my head around the idea of that much snow in one day! The worst storms I've seen in this area were 2-3' total, and you guys have gotten twice that. Here's hoping everyone stays safe tonight and the next few days as everyone digs out. The pics from this storm are gonna be nuts.

Everything is fine right now. We just don't have a way to help him make sure his furnace vent stays clear. Emergency services are pretty overloaded right now. he'd be really low on the priority list.

I wish neighbors were an option but they are all older as well and would have the same challenges he would.

What's the vent history? Mine usually clears with drifts....problem was, today not much wind and the straight snow. The winds have picked up the past few hours and I cleared mine earluer, so should be ok. I can't get back there or see it since I now have a 12 foot drift on the deck.

I'd tell him just try not to run it much. Put on an extra layer and run it a few degrees colder. The area truly is not navigable though.

What's the vent history? Mine usually clears with drifts....problem was, today not much wind and the straight snow. The winds have picked up the past few hours and I cleared mine earluer, so should be ok. I can't get back there or see it since I now have a 12 foot drift on the deck.

I'd tell him just try not to run it much. Put on an extra layer and run it a few degrees colder. The area truly is not navigable though.

No history. He is in the band that got 7' in 24hrs 15-17yrs ago, but the furnace is only a few years old. I'm not sure if it is on the side of the house or the back. Back would be OK. Non driveway side is prone to drifting.

Today is one of those days when I wish I was there for the experience. But also glad I am not. Grew up there. I can remember '77 and every other big snowfall since then. I guess if there's good news for cleanup it's that it was contained to a corridor and not widespread over the entire area.

That said... this amount of snow in a short time is crazy.

My sister is in Cheektowaga and a little less than a mile away from the snow line. So she was okay. My parents who are in the Southern Tier are fine too, for once they were too far South.

Thing is this... you've got pretty much the most experienced snow removal people in the United States there. With a little extra help I'll bet they clear it up like no one else can.

All the best to those who are buried in the snow.

:)

That's where I am. I am treating this like a war. I gave up 80% of the driveway to keep an 8 foot trench, the front porch and walkway, and side of the house with concrete. It gives me 3 of 4 exits.

There hasn't been a plow, and I would think at this point with almost 5 feet, it's National Guard? I was worried about my mailbox at first, but they are all covered so it doesn't matter.

Haha that's a great way of looking at it. I like it.

We haven't had a plow yet either, and I can't imagine they can plow it now. I see no alternative to lifting and trucking it out of the streets in some places.

And you didn't stop by to say hi? I see how you are.......... :P

Damn had I have known you lived there, I woulda invited ya skydiving with us.... I'll be back soon, beats the hell outta being stranded at the Buffalo airport, so far I've been here freezing for 8 hours with no hope in sight

A few areas are like that. Elsewhere it's disastrous.

You really live up to your username sometimes.

Pretty badass photo from plane over the city looking south:

post-516-0-26908700-1416332864_thumb.jpg

Today, I was able to go up and back from Amherst, MA and then enjoy the game on my warm couch as my boys played mind crap on their ipads. Nice to see a win and solid D for the most part. Only wish Weber was a better skater and puck handler, jeez he battles hard.

The descriptions make me think of the Christmas Eve/Christmas storm from the early 2000s. I forget the exact year, but the snowfall was ridiculous. Lots of people got an extended Christmas holiday that year.

That is the one I was talking about in 2001 where my wife visited Buffalo for xmas for the first time. It was a doosy. Still not 1977.

Stay Safe, looks pretty intense. For those who don't remember or were not born yet in '77. Buffalo had about 3 feet on the ground before the blizzard and then over about 5 days we got 12-21+ feet with sustained 50mph winds and gusts over 70mph. Needless to say ranch houses were buried that year and I could walk out my second floor window onto the porch roof and onto the snow. It was wild. Delaware park was used as a snow dump and ended up with 70 foot high mountains of snow that didn't melt till late June that year.

Lots of people died on the Highways from Carbon monoxide, because they were unable to keep their tailpipes clear. Be safe and carry a shovel.

Edited by Icehole

Asked my parents if they think I can get to their house in Lancaster. They say no. Then tell me a front end loader clearing snow hit a fire hydrant and now they have no water.

I decided to get a room at the Ramada. F this sh*t.

Wish I could send you my 29 inch Ariens snowblower to you.... Be Safe

If his parents are in the area it sounds they are, no snowblower is doing a damn thing. I called the town to get an idea of when they'd start clearing the street, and they essentially said "wait for it to melt."

Ouch. Enjoy looking at the same 4 walls until Monday or Tuesday. :blink:

If his parents are in the area it sounds they are, no snowblower is doing a damn thing. I called the town to get an idea of when they'd start clearing the street, and they essentially said "wait for it to melt."

Polincarz just said in the presser that he doesn't see the side streets in Cheektowaga getting taken care of before the rain starts this weekend.....which is pretty much..."Wait for it to melt".

I'm currently devising my rationing plan for alcohol and tobacco.

Polincarz just said in the presser that he doesn't see the side streets in Cheektowaga getting taken care of before the rain starts this weekend.....which is pretty much..."Wait for it to melt".

I'm currently devising my rationing plan for alcohol and tobacco.

I have 4 beers left. Even if I were inclined to walk somewhere to buy more, everywhere within reason is still closed anyway. This is the definition of sadness.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.