Question about Zadarov?

mjd1001

I haven't seen the last few Sabres games, so to those of you who have, I have a Question about him.

Just how well is he playing?

I know the numbers:

-His ice time is going up, with a team leading and staggering 'over 25 minutes' last game

-He is a plus 3 in 7 games, which is really good on a team full of players who are almost all in the minuses

So, does he LOOK good? Is he really playing now like a top 4 guy (at least through 7 games) or is he still making mistakes but is in the "right place at the right time"?

I'd just really like to hear a detailed opinion from someone who really likes to analyze the young guys.

I haven't seen the last few Sabres games, so to those of you who have, I have a Question about him.

Just how well is he playing?

I know the numbers:

-His ice time is going up, with a team leading and staggering 'over 25 minutes' last game

-He is a plus 3 in 7 games, which is really good on a team full of players who are almost all in the minuses

So, does he LOOK good? Is he really playing now like a top 4 guy (at least through 7 games) or is he still making mistakes but is in the "right place at the right time"?

I'd just really like to hear a detailed opinion from someone who really likes to analyze the young guys.

The thing I've noticed about him is that he's making good passes and he's using his size to win puck battles. There was a sequence last night where the puck was trapped on the boards in the defensive zone and he just held it there. Just...boxed everyone out. That's something we haven't had on this team in a long time.

He also seems to have a natural chemistry with Ristolainen. Which is good because Risto actually seems to be able to hit the net with his slap shot. Zadorov set him up for a few last night that were high level scoring chances.

They both have looked comfortable under pressure. Minnesota was forechecking pretty good and it wasn't really bothering either of them.

There was a sequence last night as well where just having Risto and Zad on the ice made whatever dumpy forward line we had out there instantly more dangerous. I want to say it was Gionta and company.

That takes talent.

He also seems to have a natural chemistry with Ristolainen. Which is good because Risto actually seems to be able to hit the net with his slap shot. Zadorov set him up for a few last night that were high level scoring chances.

They both have looked comfortable under pressure. Minnesota was forechecking pretty good and it wasn't really bothering either of them.

There was a sequence last night as well where just having Risto and Zad on the ice made whatever dumpy forward line we had out there instantly more dangerous. I want to say it was Gionta and company.

That takes talent.

So, does the high ice time indicate that, for the time being, Nolan is using them as his #1 pair?

So, does the high ice time indicate that, for the time being, Nolan is using them as his #1 pair?

That remains to be seen. I think Ted was irked by Myers taking dumb penalties and decided to give the kids more time.

Since it appears Zadorov is staying with the team I expect the two pairs to share most of the defensive load going forward so long as Gorges is healthy to play along side Myers.

The next step should be getting Pysyk into the lineup and out of Rochester.

If Risto and Zadarov keep playing well together (a big IF) and when Gorges comes back to team with Myers, the Sabres just may have a pretty legit top 4 D pairing. Not elite, but more than respectable.

Of course, that all depends on Myers not regressing and having Zadarov not drop off too much. I know this, I would be surprised if he doesn't get worn down a bit IF he keeps playing 20 minutes a game (something he isn't used to, at least at an NHL level)

I didn't see much of the game last night against Minnesota, but I did notice a sequence where Zads was owned along the boards and a Wild player came away with the puck. The Wild player skated away but shortly after that Zads appeared out of nowhere and took the guy out with a solid body check. It seems like too many Sabres lose a battle like that and give up the war. Zads just got pissed off and avenged his own mistake. I liked that a lot.

I didn't see much of the game last night against Minnesota, but I did notice a sequence where Zads was owned along the boards and a Wild player came away with the puck. The Wild player skated away but shortly after that Zads appeared out of nowhere and took the guy out with a solid body check. It seems like too many Sabres lose a battle like that and give up the war. Zads just got pissed off and avenged his own mistake. I liked that a lot.

Nikita doesn't make mistakes, he eats them for breakfast.

Yup. He's much more tenacious than Myers has ever been.

He is young and will make mistakes from inexperience. He also is a bit overzealous at times rushing the puck. But the loafing that was an issue in Traverse seems to have been addressed. Risto and Zad were highpoints of the game last night.

He is young and will make mistakes from inexperience. He also is a bit overzealous at times rushing the puck. But the loafing that was an issue in Traverse seems to have been addressed. Risto and Zad were highpoints of the game last night.

I like that both he and Ristolainen are willing to be aggressive on offense. If there's no forward open just carry it yourself. That's just good stuff. Don't worry about if the dumpy forwards you left behind at the blueline are going to be able to cover for you. Just go try to score.

Right now I have to say that Ristolainen and Zadarov are playing the best. They are turning the puck up the ice from behind the net. They are pushing the puck themselves to break out the zone. They are making smart passes when needed.

Zadarov has been out of position, lost a few battles, etc. I would expect it. But right now the kid is not a liability on this team. He clearly stands above Benoit, Meszaros, and Weber. He may regress. Players may figure him out a bit more but he certainly seems to have the heart required to stay competitive.

As he continues to hit forwards they will start to shy away from him, even if a little. He certainly likes to punish players.

Gotta echo the others that have said Zadorov and Risto are our best D pair. At 19 and 20 years old, respectively! And before we chalk that up to "that's not saying much" they are both in the plus column since being paired which is amazing given the amount of ice time they are seeing and the sheer number of goals by which we are being outscored. 19 and 20 years of age? I think these guys are gonna have a lot of last laughs before it's over.

GO SABRES!!!

He's better than Mezaros, Benoit and Weber. The fact that he was a +3 against Minny was a fluke tho. He was out there when Minny had some grade A scoring chances but Enroth came up big... he could have easily been even or a minus that game. Ristolainen has the worst +/- on the team. They're both learning on the job, you can see them progressing game to game. It's a slow process but a necessary one. Zadorov certainly has the physical tools to play in the league, now it's just about consistency and eliminating mistakes... which takes time. Now is a good time do that tho.

I liked the play last night where during one of the all too common offensive flurries by the Wild, Zad didn't get the puck out and instead of trying to stick check the interceptor (cough Myers) he put his shoulder into to Wild player and knocked him off stride. It disrupted their flow and led to a clear. If that is your first instinct, fine by me.

He's better than Mezaros, Benoit and Weber. The fact that he was a +3 against Minny was a fluke tho. He was out there when Minny had some grade A scoring chances but Enroth came up big... he could have easily been even or a minus that game. Ristolainen has the worst +/- on the team. They're both learning on the job, you can see them progressing game to game. It's a slow process but a necessary one. Zadorov certainly has the physical tools to play in the league, now it's just about consistency and eliminating mistakes... which takes time. Now is a good time do that tho.

Just checked because I hadn't looked at +/- recently. Yea, -11. Technically Stewart and Benoit are the worst at -12. Short-handed goals will kill you there. :)

Fluke or not, when you are on the ice for all 3 of your teams goals you have to be helping somewhere.

I like that both he and Ristolainen are willing to be aggressive on offense. If there's no forward open just carry it yourself. That's just good stuff. Don't worry about if the dumpy forwards you left behind at the blueline are going to be able to cover for you. Just go try to score.

This shines a bright light on where the team is at. They're afraid to make mistakes, because it seems they don't have the confidence in themselves to recover from mistakes. I can see how players can spiral downward individually and collectively into this abyss of shame and self pity.

Then here come some kids who aren't tainted (...yet..?) to say "f&@k that, let's win this". How long does it last? Surprisingly, Ennis appears to be avoiding a complete submersion into the pit.

Edited by sizzlemeister

Just checked because I hadn't looked at +/- recently. Yea, -11. Technically Stewart and Benoit are the worst at -12. Short-handed goals will kill you there. :)

Fluke or not, when you are on the ice for all 3 of your teams goals you have to be helping somewhere.

Exactly. Despite the lousy overall goals against this year, both our goaltenders have made some huge saves this year. Everybody has benefitted from it in the +/- so it all evens out.

Plus, the fact that he is a +3 overall after 7 games says something.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.