GDT: 10/22/14 Sabres at Ducks 10:30 MSG, WGR

Brawndo

I have to admit I miss Ron Rolston's system for clearing the zone.

Assuming this is Nolan's, and a genuine "system", it's terribly inefficient.

Not sure what you are referring to here. Under Nolan, under Rolston, and in the end under Ruff the Sabres were horrible at clearing the zone and it's because they insist on placing wingers on the low half-wall and fling the puck to them with no speed and a defender hanging on their back. If they don't do that they also ice it or throw it out to center for a turnover. You'll notice that when the D doesn't immediately flip the puck up the boards or go back and forth but instead waits a half second the Sabres will make a short chip pass to a forward in the circle and they are more likely to be up the ice.

They looked better in that period. The Getzlaf/Perry combo beat them and that was Perry racing from just above his own goal line and knowing that Getzlaf would hit him with a great pass and boom. Hodgson wasn't going to catch up, no chance.

Myers did however have a nice takeaway from Perry after a strong board battle. Myers looked pretty good.

The Sabres are still stiff and letting pucks bounce off their sticks. They need to loosen up more and let it come to them. More to come.

Quick update. They have the winger nearer the blue line. Same result.

Edited by LTS

Not sure what you are referring to here.

When Rolston came in, it took a handful of games, but their ability to clear the zone greatly improved. I recall identifying the change, but I forget what it was, and I don't care to review old posts or video to figure out what that was.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.