GDT: Sabres at Huricanes 10-14-14 7:30PM NBCSN

spndnchz

I don't think it's about the kiddies. It's about the parents and their lack of parenting ability nowadays. The lack of control of parents respect for everyone else in public is what burns me.

I shouldn't have to have little Johnny kicking the back of my seat at Ruby Tuesday's while the parents do nothing other than say little Johnny stop that. Which of course he never does. To those type of parents I just want to say, that kid your insisting everybody notice is no more special than anyone else's. In fact your kid is an ugly baby.

Your kid is an ugly baby.

These are the same parents who give dirty looks at hockey games like it's not their job to tell their kids "Just because that man said it doesn't mean you can."

I was raised with an understanding that adults talk like adults, that I will witness it, and that I should not emulate it until I too am an adult.

Going off track.. but what the heck.

Why does society have this aversion to kids as though they are some kind of nuisance? The tolerance level for children these days seems to be diminishing at a record rate. It's rather sad.

There's no need to act like a disrespectful jackass at any point in time. I don't care if my kid is at the game or not. It bothers me. There's a huge difference between cheering your team and being a public embarrassment.

I see it as the opposite. Society has been changing to where everything is about the kids. There is an infatuation with everybody catering to the kids. Everything needs to be family friendly, everything needs to have something attractive for kids. Why? Because that's where the money is. Parents spend more money on kids than ever before. I want to go places that cater to adults and adults only. They have kids nights at arenas, why not adult nights? As has been mentioned, even if they aren't a distraction they just kill the mood when they're some place they shouldn't be. Nobody said anything about being an embarrassment. But when you get crowds with adults that are more concerned about their phones and their kids, you get to the point where we often wonder why some arenas are so quiet.

Perhaps there's this record rate of perception that people kids are a nuisance because there's a record rate of children needing to be involved with everything. I've seen in Oregon restaurants have the right to refuse service and/or disallow adults with children if they feel they are ruining the atmosphere after a certain time. And it's not like midnight, if I remember it was 8PM. They get more business than their competitors.

Keep in mind I live in the home of the soccer mom so the magnitude may be a little bit higher here haha.

We have a very clear definition of the term "Hockey Words" in my house.

These are the words you are only allowed to say while actively watching a hockey game.

My 6-year-old son occasionally scolds me, "Dad! You said a Hockey Word!"

I don't see any sense in shielding him, but helping him understand context is important.

We have a very clear definition of the term "Hockey Words" in my house.

These are the words you are only allowed to say while actively watching a hockey game.

My 6-year-old son occasionally scolds me, "Dad! You said a Hockey Word!"

I don't see any sense in shielding him, but helping him understand context is important.

You're doing better than a lot of parents then. There's a lot of "don't act like an adult around my child!" going on out there.

I don't think anyone here is condoning "being a public embarrassment". But if I want to tell a referee to "go f*ck yourself" at the top of my lungs, I'm going to, because it's sports. And if the parent in front of me doesn't think their kid should hear that kind of language, take em to the BPO.

Meh - I'm not so sure that's welcome or advisable behavior on any level, in any setting. If you're in my section doing that, and it's not a high stakes game, I'm smirking and looking at you like "settle down there, bruh" -- regardless of whether there are kids around.

I don't think anyone here is condoning "being a public embarrassment". But if I want to tell a referee to "go f*ck yourself" at the top of my lungs, I'm going to, because it's sports. And if the parent in front of me doesn't think their kid should hear that kind of language, take em to the BPO.

I think parents should be able to take kids to games.

Heck, when families at any age can bond over sports it is a good thing.

If you're cursing in front of kids and think it is your prerogative as an adult,

You are being an ass. The old oranges in the early Aud years were hysterical because the taunts were more clever than any curse, and often filled with entendre that went above kids heads an better than any effyou.

I might be dating myself as a prude here, but I would be one telling you to knock it off if kids were around.

If you're cursing in front of kids and think it is your prerogative as an adult,

You are being an ass. The old oranges in the early Aud years were hysterical because the taunts were more clever than any curse, and often filled with entendre that went above kids heads an better than any effyou.

I might be dating myself as a prude here, but I would be one telling you to knock it off if kids were around.

I think that's BS. I'll just sit on my hands with Chet and Muffy then and stuff my face with pizza logs. For the children.

You could do that. I prefer to follow X's advice and just be more creative with my hollerin'.

I have no problem coming up with creative cheers. I spent a large majority of my time in college doing just that. But if I want to let something vulgar fly I should be allowed to do so without getting the stink eye from mom and dad who will undoubtedly curse me out in secret the moment their kid repeats at home what I said at a sporting event. Like it's my fault.

Yes. Simple common courtesy should not be too much to ask. Everyone has an internal "am i being a dick?" barometer that they should look to periodically. This particular scenario should provide an easy answer to that question.

The last Panthers-Sabres game I went to I had a couple behind me tell me to sit down when I cheered for a Sabres goal. I wasn't heckling, swearing, being obnoxious....... I stood up, cheered for about 15 seconds and this guy got in my face. His face was buried in his cell phone the entire game. In an effort to keep it civil I just told him that I paid to come support my team and it's a shame he couldn't do that for his local team. I said if his texting buddies were so much more important that there was a Starbucks at Sawgrass Mills.

15 seconds seems a bit egregious. Especially if you're arms fully extended extra loud clap guy. No one likes that guys, don't be that guy

Yes. Simple common courtesy should not be too much to ask. Everyone has an internal "am i being a dick?" barometer that they should look to periodically. This particular scenario should provide an easy answer to that question.

If you are an ass then the barometer is nonexistent

15 seconds seems a bit egregious. Especially if you're arms fully extended extra loud clap guy. No one likes that guys, don't be that guy

If you are an ass then the barometer is nonexistent

I said I cheered, not turned around and gave the opposing fans the finger. I jumped out of my chair and yelled "Yah!" with my arms in the air and then clapped for the remaining time.

If that's egregious then I don't know what to say. Maybe next time I'll borrow my friends kid and bring a spare battery for my cell phone and pay absolutely no attention to the game at all.

You're confusing being an ass with being a fan. I'm not going to go to a game and stand the entire time screaming obscenties. But, I am going to stand up and boo with a bad call, I'm going to stand up and yell when we score. But, I shouldn't have to pause to make sure what comes out of my mouth is going to offend the soccer mom next to me with her toddler. There are plenty of other options.

Yeah its right next to Rudd######ers, I mean Fuddruckers by me

Is their (Chuck E) pizza any good? Maybe I'll go in and watch a Sabres game on Game Center and cheer loudly when they score. :D

Edited by JJFIVEOH

And this is why you can hear a pin drop at most arenas. Cell phones and children.

Anybody ever hear of Check E. Cheese?

Well, you might think this if Buffalo and Florida are the 2 arenas you frequent, but this generally isn't the case where the teams are good.

Come on guys - seriously ? I don't care where you are you have to have some level of self control around kids. I don't care if it is at a hockey game or church. It doesnt matter.

Dork i will go out on a limb and say you have no kids. Right? If you do i hope you don't take them to games with you. If you don't then i bet you will change your mind about whether being an ignorant ass is ok or not at a hockey game when you start taking yours.

If you are the buffoon in front of me and I have my kids with me the first time you are an ass I tell my kids there are idiots everywhere. The second time I tell you to grow up and have a little class. The 3rd time we probably have a problem.

For those of you that think being vulgar and onnoxious is acceptable then you are probably more immature than the kids that you think should stick to chuck e cheeses.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.